U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 PM

510 posts, read 1,583,743 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of living close to water but so does everyone else. So I am considering the West side of Lake Norman. I have heard good things about Denver and Lincoln county. Its still rural, but how rural? Is there a town or just strip malls. Is there new construction thrown in areas that are surrounded by older small homes in need of work? Any other newcomers arriving from NJ/NY? I would love to hear how well it is working out for a "Yank". Any input about this side of the lake, good or bad would be helpful to learn about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 07:38 PM

58 posts, read 268,156 times
We visited there back in April on a prospecting mission, and REALLY liked it. It's pleasantly rural, but with easy access to major shopping just a few miles away. We live in NJ and are considering the move, and after our visit, Denver shot to the top of the list. We stopped at the elementary school, and it looked fantastic...as did the high school. The Route 16 bypass is on its way in, so that will make North/South travel easier. I would recommend you research it more. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 AM

142 posts, read 559,176 times
familymom, my wife and I just purchased a home to be built in Denver. We are both originally from NJ. I dont live there yet but have visited many times looking at areas and homes. We like the rural feel of Denver but our home is still within 3-4 miles of banks, restaurants, groceries etc. I dont know how long Denver is going to stay rural though as more and more bulding is sure to come. I also like that I dont see multi-family housing. All of the new construction is single family homes, but Im sure multi-family dwellings (apt's) will eventually come here too. The main Hwy is 16 and there are many shops and businesses. I wouldnt consider Hwy 16 to be a downtown but between 150 and 73 is the closest your gonna come to a downtown in Denver. Near 16 and 73 there are newer strip malls with restaurants, banks and grocery stores. Now that the new Hwy 16 bypass is open at 73 I think traffic may get pretty bad at the intersection. There is also a new Lowes and Walmart going up right there. I like the rural feel of Denver when your off of the main Roads (16,73,150). And yes there are old run down homes/mobil homes on the back roads. We bought in a community because we're used to that and want that for our children, but there are plenty of beautiful homes on larger lots outside of communities if thats what u want. Most of the new communites are people not from NC, so fitting in for a Yank will not be a problem. Moorseville and Huntersville are also very close and have all the shopping and restaurants you need. I recommend spending a day checking out the area and maybe having a realtor that knows the area take you to places in your price range.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:30 PM

532 posts, read 1,565,780 times
I'm in Denver. I just moved here last summer after 18 years in Charlotte. I've had step-children that have lived here (in Denver) for quite a while, so I've witnessed quite a bit of growth here over the years. Dave037 covers a lot of what Denver is like.
However, as far as new home construction... currently there's a moratorium on sewer connections. This side of Lincoln county is growing so quickly and so fast that we've outgrown our sewer treatment plant. and a new one cannot be completed for two years. So, developers have to have their sewer approvals already in hand or they cannot build. For the next two years, what you see is what you get. If you want new construction, you'll have to seek out the developers that have sewer approvals or wait.
The "new hwy 16" is currently open from Charlotte up to Hwy 73. It will be continued to Hwy 150, but completion of that stretch will not be complete until 2010. I'm expecting a huge development boom when a new sewer plant is completed.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 20,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
I like the idea of living close to water but so does everyone else. So I am considering the West side of Lake Norman. I have heard good things about Denver and Lincoln county. Its still rural, but how rural? Is there a town or just strip malls. Is there new construction thrown in areas that are surrounded by older small homes in need of work? Any other newcomers arriving from NJ/NY? I would love to hear how well it is working out for a "Yank". Any input about this side of the lake, good or bad would be helpful to learn about.
Denver is a great and growing area. I live in Charlotte right now, and my husband and I are expecting our first child. We will be moving out towards the Denver area well before our son has to start school. At 16 & 73, they are building new shopping and dining all the time. Super Wal~mart is set to open in October and Lowes is set to open in early '08.

Denver has a lot of nice developments as well. The subdivisions tend to have nice sized lots, tree lined streets, etc. It is a peaceful, country setting though you have the conveniences close by.

Regards,

Robin Hager

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-31-2007 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: realtor advertising

Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,660,377 times
Denver is exploding with growth now and thankfully we outgrew the sewer capacity to slow down the growth a bit. The traffic will get increasingly worse. Hwy 16 is the main road to go anywhere here. It is a two lane road running north/south. Mornings and afternoon rushes are hair pulling. The new Hwy 16 at the Hwy 73 intersection will not do much good because it creates a great bottle neck because the hwy dead ends here and people have to get off of it.

The amount of growth, new Lowes, new Walmart Supercenter, and countless other retail areas are being built out here so yeah you can kiss that rural feel good bye, and say hello to another suburbian capital.

This area used to be mostly residential but now that is changing. Most of the growth has taken place on the east side of Lake Norman, ie Huntersville, Cornelius, Mooresville, but the real truth is these places have run out of room to expand and is forcing the rest of the growth on the "quieter side", the Denver area. Denver isnt a real town, just a postal address.

New homes seem to be getting more glamourous and expensive. Hwy 16 has its share of strip mall areas all up the highway.

A good source of local information is news@norman.com

Dont mean to be a pessimist, but that is the truth. If you want that rural feel Id suggest a move farther west in Lincoln county or farther north past Hwy 150 in Catawba county.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Denver is exploding with growth now and thankfully we outgrew the sewer capacity to slow down the growth a bit. The traffic will get increasingly worse. Hwy 16 is the main road to go anywhere here. It is a two lane road running north/south. Mornings and afternoon rushes are hair pulling. The new Hwy 16 at the Hwy 73 intersection will not do much good because it creates a great bottle neck because the hwy dead ends here and people have to get off of it.

The amount of growth, new Lowes, new Walmart Supercenter, and countless other retail areas are being built out here so yeah you can kiss that rural feel good bye, and say hello to another suburbian capital.

This area used to be mostly residential but now that is changing. Most of the growth has taken place on the east side of Lake Norman, ie Huntersville, Cornelius, Mooresville, but the real truth is these places have run out of room to expand and is forcing the rest of the growth on the "quieter side", the Denver area. Denver isnt a real town, just a postal address.

New homes seem to be getting more glamourous and expensive. Hwy 16 has its share of strip mall areas all up the highway.

A good source of local information is news@norman.com

Dont mean to be a pessimist, but that is the truth. If you want that rural feel Id suggest a move farther west in Lincoln county or farther north past Hwy 150 in Catawba county.

I didnt find your comments pessimistic at all just the truth. When driving down 73 either from Boger City or Huntersville you know when you are getting close to Denver because of the traffic slow down.

But HEY LOL dont tell them go west I dont want what makes Lincolnton, Vale unique ruined. I want west side of 311 to stay the way it is. Move north or south of Denver ....yeah that is the ticket.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:12 AM

38 posts, read 128,174 times
What is the drive from Denver to north Charlotte (above WT Harris) like? Is it pretty much impossible (over an hour) or managable (under an hour)?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
Super Wal~mart is set to open in October and Lowes is set to open in early '08.
reverse that^

From my News@Norman that I received this week... Super Wal-mart will be ready, however, they do not want to open at Christmas time with a "green" crew. They'll open up early 2008.
Lowe's is on schedule to open in October.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye_dway View Post
What is the drive from Denver to north Charlotte (above WT Harris) like? Is it pretty much impossible (over an hour) or managable (under an hour)?
Are you talking rush hour during school?
I used to live in North Charlotte and drove my son to school in Denver each morning. The drive was about 20 minutes (to 16 & 73.)

Then we moved to Denver. We're further up 16 now, and there is a lot of bottleneck congestion at 73. (They are just now beginning construction on the intersection at 16 & 73, so I'm hoping completion of that will ease the bottleneck.) Driving from Denver to Huntersville in the morning can take 30-45 minutes. Non-rush should take about 20 - 25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or