U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM

59 posts, read 180,744 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

I really like NoDa, but also wanted to ask about the surrounding neighborhoods regarding safety and overall feel? Eastway? Shamrock? Good? Bad? Similar? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM

412 posts, read 813,235 times
Bad.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Where can you rent a 3bd house, not get shot at, and not have to sell your firstborn to afford it? We prefer older homes to newer ones, with mature trees. (beige boxland makes me want to hurl)
Pretty please help me get a clue where to look.
We're close to getting out of here, and I can't wait to leave!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 PM

159 posts, read 287,250 times
Eastway is a crime heaven, Shamrock isn't as bad, the area NOT facing Shamrock Drive but situated along Country Club Drive is pretty well off. That also goes for areas and blocks by the Country Club as those areas are more aligned with Plaza Midwood.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
Where can you rent a 3bd house, not get shot at, and not have to sell your firstborn to afford it? We prefer older homes to newer ones, with mature trees. (beige boxland makes me want to hurl)
Pretty please help me get a clue where to look.
We're close to getting out of here, and I can't wait to leave!
Giving an actual price range would allow us to be more helpful.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,793,596 times
That area isn't anymore crime ridden than Noda, Dilworth, Plaza/Midwood, and IMO certainly safer than Wilmore and Wesley Heights. My guess is the people responding in the negative also live out on I-485.

I do think the areas west of Eastway and South of Shamrock are heading for a come back so I would definitely look there. These are all going to be mid-century brick moderns, mostly with no garages, but with nice lots. This is a very nice close in location.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,929,155 times
I occasionally go to mass at Our Lady of the Assumption on Shamrock. There's something about the area that makes me want to root for it.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,010,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
That area isn't anymore crime ridden than Noda, Dilworth, Plaza/Midwood, and IMO certainly safer than Wilmore and Wesley Heights. My guess is the people responding in the negative also live out on I-485.

I do think the areas west of Eastway and South of Shamrock are heading for a come back so I would definitely look there. These are all going to be mid-century brick moderns, mostly with no garages, but with nice lots. This is a very nice close in location.
I agree

If you're in love with suburbia you'll hate this area.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM

I loathe suburbia, and so badly want to be close enough to easily access all that Charlotte has to offer. (which is SO much more than here, and I'm falling in love already with the Queen City)
I need to live somewhere that has room for an eccentric, slightly pudgy, middle aged artist, her toddler, and her techie husband. I'm not a preppy "soccer mom" and really feel out of place in suburbia. I need trees! I garden. I plant flowers (veggies too, when I can). I'm a nature chick who loves to hang out with other artists, writers, dancers and creative, eccentric people who don't always fit in a specific category.

Also- I don't know what the budget is yet, but I'm trying to keep it around $1100 or lower if there's a way to wangle it. Job will be in uptown, and we love Daddy, so we want his commute not to suck. It also looks like most of the stuff we really want to do/see is toward the northside of town. There's an art museum (Reynolda) in Winston Salem that I'm just ecstatic is there and can't wait to go to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I agree

If you're in love with suburbia you'll hate this area.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,534,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
I loathe suburbia, and so badly want to be close enough to easily access all that Charlotte has to offer. (which is SO much more than here, and I'm falling in love already with the Queen City)
I need to live somewhere that has room for an eccentric, slightly pudgy, middle aged artist, her toddler, and her techie husband. I'm not a preppy "soccer mom" and really feel out of place in suburbia. I need trees! I garden. I plant flowers (veggies too, when I can). I'm a nature chick who loves to hang out with other artists, writers, dancers and creative, eccentric people who don't always fit in a specific category.

Also- I don't know what the budget is yet, but I'm trying to keep it around $1100 or lower if there's a way to wangle it. Job will be in uptown, and we love Daddy, so we want his commute not to suck. It also looks like most of the stuff we really want to do/see is toward the northside of town. There's an art museum (Reynolda) in Winston Salem that I'm just ecstatic is there and can't wait to go to.

Just FYI, Charlotte is a very suburban city - there are trees and green spaces everywhere, even in suburbia

You would fit in very nicely in the Plaza Midwood area. With any luck you may find a decent rental there in the $1100 range, $1500 at worst case scenario. Your husband will have like a 5 minute commute and you'll be near plenty of eccentric, creative people.

Plaza Midwood Neighborhood, Charlotte NC | Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association

You don't really want to do Eastway in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte