U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM

189 posts, read 328,869 times

Advertisements

Hilarious. I thought I was losing my mind by thinking the birds were holding choir practice in the middle of the night.

Certainly beats what kept me up in the DC area. I called 911 one night because of horrific screaming. The very polite dispatcher, trying to not seem like he was patronizing me, assured he would send someone immediately if I was at all worried... but could I just listen for a moment and think about whether it might be, well, foxes gettin' their groove on? I thought I would die of embarrassment. Thankfully, the dispatcher assured me the sound is just like that of a woman screaming and that they get multiple calls each spring night.

I'll take the birds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,411,553 times
We've got an owl somewhere in the neighborhood that starts hooting around midnight.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,678,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
We've got an owl somewhere in the neighborhood that starts hooting around midnight.
we also have at least one big barn owl that will sit in a tree not 50 feet away and start his talking...I like it, MY lab used to go crazy when he heard that thing.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,606,197 times
For the longest time I thought there was a bird nest above my college dorm room. Expect, it never stopped. About 6 months later I realized they were bats when I sat and watched them swarm around the parking area's lights. Maybe you actually have bats? They make noises like baby birds or something.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,082,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
For the longest time I thought there was a bird nest above my college dorm room. Expect, it never stopped. About 6 months later I realized they were bats when I sat and watched them swarm around the parking area's lights. Maybe you actually have bats? They make noises like baby birds or something.
We do actually have bats too, but the birds I've definitely identified as mocking birds! Never hear the bats make any noise though.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 AM

159 posts, read 286,029 times
I normally come home about 1 or 2 AM every night, normally in my driveway I don't hear birds, but tonight it's this loud chirping or whatever. I think it's a nest in the tree by my driveway.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,553 times
They are katydid I live in NJ and I hear it all the time specially during summer, here is a site with all kind of katydid sounds, http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Katydid_sounds.aspx

Old 04-16-2015, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,420 times
Google 'Spring Peeper Sounds' (Avec Plaisir)

Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,009 posts, read 938,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Hilarious. I thought I was losing my mind by thinking the birds were holding choir practice in the middle of the night.

Certainly beats what kept me up in the DC area. I called 911 one night because of horrific screaming. The very polite dispatcher, trying to not seem like he was patronizing me, assured he would send someone immediately if I was at all worried... but could I just listen for a moment and think about whether it might be, well, foxes gettin' their groove on? I thought I would die of embarrassment. Thankfully, the dispatcher assured me the sound is just like that of a woman screaming and that they get multiple calls each spring night.

I'll take the birds!
I was thinking that same thing! I'll take the birds of all kinds over gun shots and women screams any given night! I live in a neighborhood with all those bird sounds and have several owls, also. I love hearing them hoot and screech at night.
If they get annoying, I put the sound conditioner machine on and sleep like a baby.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,836,938 times
We hear them too including the screaming frogs etc. It's funny with the birds, they set off my birds inside the house. And then they "squawk" in tune with the outside birds. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or