U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,249,598 times

Advertisements

Amish Mennonites near Montezuma, Georgia (http://home.earthlink.net/~white_and_gold/Mennonite.htm - broken link)

I'll check with my sister-in-law for the exact spot we visited once. It was outside of Perry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,882,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My top vote goes to Charleston!

It's a very easy 3 hour drive from Charlotte. And you won't find such good food for several states away.

Take your son to the aquarium, he'll love that! South Carolina Aquarium on Charleston Harbor

And then take the short ferry ride out into the harbor to see Fort Sumpter. With the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War there are all kinds of activities going on at the fort.

In addition, while it is too early to swim, you can enjoy going to the beach to collect shells or fly some kites
We are doing this next week We have never been either, so highly looking forward to it. I've heard great things about Charleston.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,669,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would suggest Morehead City, though could never argue with Charleston. You could spend one day going north and one day going south, and of course there is a lot to do right around MHC, too.
Curious, what is there to do in Morehead City? I know there is good bbq but never heard of it for tourist destination?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,752,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
Looking for ideas for a short local trip - 2 to 3 days. We are new to the area and would like to take advantage of spring break (my son is 6). I was contemplating Atlanta, but giving that 2nd thoughts with construction on 85.
My vote goes to Myrtle Beach. Mainly for the 6 year old's sake. I was fascinated with MB around that age (many, many years ago, lol), and there is so much more now (sadly the Pavilion is gone). And the trip was never complete without dinner one night in Calabash, NC. You got Broadway at the Beach with the new Wonderworks - upside down house, Nascar Speed Parks, Mini Golf on every corner, Ripley's Aquarium and Believe it or Not, Family Kingdom Amusement Park (a free entry, pay as you go park) with a great old wooden roller coaster built in 1966 and a great kiddie land your 6 year old might enjoy. A new boardwalk opened last year, and the beaches are nice and clean.

Last edited by swampfoxer; 04-15-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,299,795 times
Myrtle Beach

Quote:
Myrtle Beach is a coastal resort city in Horry County, South Carolina, United States

Myrtle Beach has rapidly developed into a major tourist destination in the Southeastern United States in the late 20th century and 2000s.

Myrtle Beach's economy is dominated by the tourist industry[citation needed], with tourism bringing in millions of dollars each year[citation needed]. Hotels, motels, resorts, restaurants, attractions, and retail developments exist in abundance to service visitors.

Hosting over 14.6 million visitors annually, The Grand Strand is home to an array of tourist attractions, and the area receives a large influx of visitors during all seasons.

The area's attractions include its beaches and many golf courses, as well as a number of amusement parks, an aquarium, an IMAX theater, retail developments and over 1,900 restaurants[21] including seafood restaurants, and a number of shopping complexes. The area also has dinner theaters, nightclubs, and many tourist shops. Myrtle Beach has an estimated 460 hotels, with many on the beachfront, and approximately 89,000 accommodation units in total. Also in the city is Myrtle Waves, one of the largest water parks on the eastern seaboard. The Carolina Opry is another highly-acclaimed attraction, which features various musical, comedy, dance, and entertainment shows, including The Carolina Opry (variety show), Good Vibrations (best of the 60s, 70s, and 80s), LIGHT—a Laser Extravaganza. During the holiday season, the venue hosts The Carolina Opry Christmas Special. It is currently housed in a 2,200 seat theater.
The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk opened in 2010 and has been recognized as the nation's #3 boardwalk by National Geographic [22] and one of the best US boardwalks by Travel + Leisure magazine.[23] Scheduled to open at the boardwalk in May, 2011 is The Myrtle Beach Skywheel, a 200-foot observation wheel, similar to a ferris wheel, with glass gondolas that look over the Atlantic Ocean. This will be the first wheel of its kind in the U.S. Myrtle Beach State Park, established in 1935, has just under a mile of Grand Strand beach and is a prime location for swimming, hiking and fishing.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charleston

Quote:
Charleston is known as The Holy City due to the prominence of churches on the low-rise cityscape, particularly the numerous steeples which dot the city's skyline, and for the fact that it was one of the few cities in the original thirteen colonies to provide religious tolerance, albeit restricted to non-Catholics.

Charleston annually hosts Spoleto Festival USA, a 17-day art festival featuring over 100 performances by individual artists in a variety of disciplines. The Spoleto Festival is internationally recognized as America's premier performing arts festival.[42]

Charleston boasts many historic buildings, art and historical museums and other attractions. The following are among those which are open to the public:
  • The Exchange and Provost was built in 1767. The building features a dungeon which held various signers of the Declaration of Independence and hosted events for George Washington in 1791 and the ratification of the U.S. Constitution in 1788. It is operated as a museum by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
  • The Powder Magazine is a 1713 gunpowder magazine and museum. It is the oldest surviving public building in South Carolina.
  • The Gibbes Museum of Art opened in 1905 and houses a premier collection of principally American works with a Charleston or Southern connection.
  • The Fireproof Building houses the South Carolina Historical Society, a membership-based reference library open to the public.
  • The Nathaniel Russell House is an important Federal style house. It is owned by the Historic Charleston Foundation and open to the public as a house museum.
  • The Gov. William Aiken House, also known as the Aiken-Rhett House is a home built in 1820 for William Aiken, Jr.
  • The Charleston Museum was the first museum built in America, founded in 1773.
  • The Heyward-Washington House is a historic house museum owned and operated by the Charleston Museum. Furnished for the late 18th century, the house includes a collection of Charleston-made furniture.
  • The Joseph Manigault House is a historic house museum owned and operated by the Charleston Museum. The house was designed by Gabriel Manigault and is significant for its Adam style architecture.
  • The Market Hall and Sheds, also known simply as the Market, stretch several blocks behind 188 Meeting Street. Market Hall was built in the 1830s and houses the Museum of the Confederacy. The Sheds house some permanent stores but are mainly occupied by open-air vendors.

Charleston, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After reading the Wikipedia pages of both Charleston and Myrtle Beach, it should be very obvious which is muchhhh more fun for a kid. I've been to both as a kid.

go to Charleston in the winter. It's Spring. Go have mindless fun. Go learn in the winter.

The only thing Charleston had going for me as a kid was this baby;

^ You can tour that and such. But still My parents had to read every little historical thing and made it sorta boring. But being on a real Aircraft carrier, Submarine, and Battleship was SWEET! but still. Myrtle Beach.... way better.... :P Just saying, That's the only thing Charleston had going for me as a little Boy.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 04-15-2011 at 11:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,606,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
We are doing this next week We have never been either, so highly looking forward to it. I've heard great things about Charleston.
Charleston is beautiful this time of year. Everything is in bloom!
There is plenty to do with your son, of course there is Fort Sumter, the aquarium and always Patriots Point. But if you guys like fast boats, be sure and check out Thriller Boat. They are docked at Shem Creek, the ride is wonderful, wet and fast! They take you out to Morris Island Lighthouse.

Folly beach is our beach of choice but there is also Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms. There is so much to do there! If you would like any restaurant rec's please feel DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or