U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 1,484 times
Default Relocating to Charlotte area from WV in December

We are an African-American family of four, looking to relocate to Charlotte in mid-December/early January from WV. I graduate in December with a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, looking to work in juvenile corrections or as a social worker. He has a legal assisting degree with no experience as of yet. He is considering the possibility of working for UPS or FEDEX, which will not require his degree. Therefore, we will be needing some employment options near where we are living. How difficult is it to find a job right now? We have two children ages 1 & 2. We are still not sure as to whether we will be doing day care or finding a private sitter. Where would we find a reliable place to look into finding a private sitter? We intend on doing interviews, background checks, reference checks, etc. We would like to live in a good neighborhood, and not live too far outside of the city. We do not want more than a 30-minute commute to work. We are not planning on buying a house until we are more comfortable, but our rent range can go up to $700. I know that's kind of steep, but it's what we can afford right now. We will have a good bit of money saved up by then, at least enough to last us for 4-6 months, but hopefully we should have jobs by then!

So overall,
The things I need most importantly,
1) Low crime neighborhood
2) Affordable rent (we may be able to go more expensive, but preferably not)
3) Close to work
4) High rated pre-school & elementary schools
5) Somewhere that has diversity

Please get back to me as soon as possible,
all responses appreciated in advance.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM

12,848 posts, read 12,519,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris187 View Post
We are an African-American family of four, looking to relocate to Charlotte in mid-December/early January from WV. I graduate in December with a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, looking to work in juvenile corrections or as a social worker. He has a legal assisting degree with no experience as of yet. He is considering the possibility of working for UPS or FEDEX, which will not require his degree. Therefore, we will be needing some employment options near where we are living. How difficult is it to find a job right now? We have two children ages 1 & 2. We are still not sure as to whether we will be doing day care or finding a private sitter. Where would we find a reliable place to look into finding a private sitter? We intend on doing interviews, background checks, reference checks, etc. We would like to live in a good neighborhood, and not live too far outside of the city. We do not want more than a 30-minute commute to work. We are not planning on buying a house until we are more comfortable, but our rent range can go up to $700. I know that's kind of steep, but it's what we can afford right now. We will have a good bit of money saved up by then, at least enough to last us for 4-6 months, but hopefully we should have jobs by then!

So overall,
3) Close to work

Thanks!
I'd start with finding a job in your field. Contact the municipalities & county sheriff departments for the Charlotte CSA. Charlotte metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get a job & then the rest will fall into place. $700 per month is not going to get you what you want in Charlotte. You'd have to be living out from the city. Unemployment is high around here. You do not want to be living in Monroe & then find a job in Cherryville & try to commute that.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 AM

3,117 posts, read 3,669,015 times
Keep in mind, too, that child care is very expensive here. For two children as young as yours you will be paying $1500-$2000 per month for a day care center, and I would say at a minimum $1200 for a sitter, and that would be in a home day care type of situation. If you are looking for more of a nanny, you will pay at least $2000/month. I think the cost of child care in Charlotte is one of the reasons so many households have a stay at home parent.

ETA: $700 seems to be more of the "starting" rent around here, so you may need to up your budget a bit to be able to have a two-bedroom. In general, lower rent = less desirable area (crime, run down building, etc).

Last edited by coastalgirl; 04-15-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM

44,370 posts, read 54,887,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris187 View Post

So overall,
3) Close to work

Thanks!
Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think Charlotte is the city for you. A family of four looking for "high rated" schools is going to be looking at about $1000+ a month rent at the very least. Sorry

Old 04-15-2011, 11:11 AM

One of us is definitely making sure we secure a job before moving. He may actually move down sooner than us. We're filling out correctional officer applications as we speak for him. $700 is cheap, I'm sure. I'd say $1000 a month would be the highest and we cannot go any higher than that until we both maintain a job. We won't need childcare right when we move down. Only if both of us cannot alternate schedules. As for the person that said we won't find high rated schools, I'm sure there are schools that have many positive aspects about them. By no means am I saying, I'm looking for the best, but I need a good learning environment and good teachers.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM

By the way, I meant 700 was CHEAP, not steep in my original post!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM

24 posts, read 28,085 times
Morris187, I will be moving to Charlotte in a few weeks and have done some research. I have found some reasonably priced apts in the SouthPark area in the $800 to $900 range. (The one I chose is a little over $800 for a 2 bedroom) Of course, this is cheap for me as I am currently in a 3 bedroom that just went to $1,115 (in VA) and lacking many of the amenities that are seemingly standard in Charlotte.

Try apartmentguide.com. (Of course, there are other sites) I like this one because you can refine your search to neighborhoods including SouthPark. I have been advised by some friends living in Charlotte to stay away from the East side.

Be sure to got to charlotte mecklenburg website and check the schools performance.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 PM

44,370 posts, read 54,887,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanative1 View Post
Morris187, I will be moving to Charlotte in a few weeks and have done some research. I have found some reasonably priced apts in the SouthPark area in the $800 to $900 range. (The one I chose is a little over $800 for a 2 bedroom) Of course, this is cheap for me as I am currently in a 3 bedroom that just went to $1,115 (in VA) and lacking many of the amenities that are seemingly standard in Charlotte.

Try apartmentguide.com. (Of course, there are other sites) I like this one because you can refine your search to neighborhoods including SouthPark. I have been advised by some friends living in Charlotte to stay away from the East side.

Be sure to got to charlotte mecklenburg website and check the schools performance.

Well, I took her to mean she wanted to find a house to rent since she mentioned wanting a good neighborhood.

But you are right, if she goes the apartment route she can find nice 3 bedroom ones in the $900+ range, or good two bedrooms in the $775. range in areas with decent schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte