U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,470,084 times

Advertisements

Also, are you looking for locations to shoot portraits or locations to shoot as art? (buildings, parks, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

21,841 posts, read 27,096,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Frog Pond is simply an intersection...no real town there at all. And I didn't know you were in King's Mountain, that would be a serious drive for you from over there.

As far as an old courthouse in Albemarle, if there is one, I don't know about it. I know where the current one is and I don't know if they replaced an old one or if I just haven't seen it. Earlier you mentioned Monroe and there's a nice old courthouse/downtown area there for sure.
Here's my situation. I'm looking for shots that I can matt & frame & place in the gallery of the art society for sale. A good part of the photography club of the art society lives in or near Kings Mountain, so, while there are tons of places to shoot around here, there are multiple chances of someone else shooting the same place. I'm looking for something different. If I went to Albemarle, then Oakboro, & headed down to Monroe, that would get me 3 different locations in one trip. I hate to waste gas. (even when it was cheap.)

I have several things that have to be dealt with, so it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks before I'm ready to head out on this. I'll let you know & if you're available, I'd be happy to meet up somewhere, for the company. (at least for Albemarle & Oakboro)

Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,057,345 times
Be careful doing ones in the Uptown area. I've seen lots of security guards come around hassling people who are taking photos outside.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Be careful doing ones in the Uptown area. I've seen lots of security guards come around hassling people who are taking photos outside.
Thanks for the heads up. I had actually considered combining Daniel Stowe & Uptown. ( for location purposes, certainly not content similarity.)

Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Also, are you looking for locations to shoot portraits or locations to shoot as art? (buildings, parks, etc)
Oops, I missed this one! - buildings & nature as art. Abandoned buildings can sometimes make great subjects.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,470,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here's my situation. I'm looking for shots that I can matt & frame & place in the gallery of the art society for sale. A good part of the photography club of the art society lives in or near Kings Mountain, so, while there are tons of places to shoot around here, there are multiple chances of someone else shooting the same place. I'm looking for something different. If I went to Albemarle, then Oakboro, & headed down to Monroe, that would get me 3 different locations in one trip. I hate to waste gas. (even when it was cheap.)

I have several things that have to be dealt with, so it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks before I'm ready to head out on this. I'll let you know & if you're available, I'd be happy to meet up somewhere, for the company. (at least for Albemarle & Oakboro)
Sounds good. And while Oakboro would have a few places to shoot, I'm thinking Albemarle and Monroe would be more productive than Oakboro. When I mentioned it I was thinking of portrait locations. Still a few places to shoot and you could certainly include it as a waypoint since it's between the two towns. Also, just outside of Albemarle is Morrow Mountain State Park and there's an old doctor's residence there with some restored buildings on it. (Not to mention other locations like lake views of Lake Tillery as well as the mountain top area that you can drive right up to).

You can also look at a map and take country roads from Albemarle to Monroe and find a ton of old rustic barns, farms, equipment etc.

It's a beautiful part of the state over on this side of Charlotte!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Sounds good. And while Oakboro would have a few places to shoot, I'm thinking Albemarle and Monroe would be more productive than Oakboro. When I mentioned it I was thinking of portrait locations. Still a few places to shoot and you could certainly include it as a waypoint since it's between the two towns. Also, just outside of Albemarle is Morrow Mountain State Park and there's an old doctor's residence there with some restored buildings on it. (Not to mention other locations like lake views of Lake Tillery as well as the mountain top area that you can drive right up to).

You can also look at a map and take country roads from Albemarle to Monroe and find a ton of old rustic barns, farms, equipment etc.

LOL, I wish I had a shot that I took many years ago. My boyfriend at the time & I drove from Maryland to Asheville, almost totally on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Then after going to the Biltmore, we went to Cherokee, then over the mountains to TN, down to Chattanooga, then to a friend's house in Rome GA. Somewhere along the way, after Ashevillee, I got a fantastic shot of a house with a few pea hens & a peacock who didn't realize that he was the only male. I got several shots of the peacock flirting with the pea hens & one was extremely good.

Unfortunately, the camera broke the next day & when I took it to see if it was fixable, the genius at the camera shop opened the camera in the middle of the store, instead of taking it to a dark room to get the film out. Oh, well. . .Mother Nature's revenge for taking a shot of one of her sillier creatures.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

That might be a good possibility.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM

OK, I took my time & did a lot of research. I ended up getting a DSLT, the Sony A55.

I missed the spider lilies for this year. There's always next year. There's a lot of features that didn't exist on the old film SLRs. I'm still open for suggestions of places to shoot, but I'm playing with it near home for right now.

Seasonal suggestions are good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte