U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 AM

431 posts, read 1,498,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Guess this is one way living in Charlotte is "cheaper" than out in Union county. I did extensive watering in the last month (no water restrictions in Mecklenburg county - though I was careful to water in the evening only like they requested) and my bill for water was $24.42. This was attached to my sewer and storm water fees of $56.58 for a grand total of $81.00.

Normally my bill runs about $45 a month total for all three charges.
Wow! Thats amazing. How many zones are you running? Something is very wrong when water costs can be so drastically different in such close proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:09 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Wow! Thats amazing. How many zones are you running? Something is very wrong when water costs can be so drastically different in such close proximity.
Don't have an irrigation system, just hoses and sprinklers My yard is about a third of an acre.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 PM

348 posts, read 317,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threesons View Post
U120,
my thoughts for using the well was for irrigation and possibly a pool. But I dont't think using the well water for a pool is a smart thing to do as the water will be very hard.
That's absolutely not true! We live in Marvin on a well and our pool water is quite soft. The house does have a whole house water softener, but we turned that off and the water was still soft. Our pool guy told us that the well water is soft in this neck of the woods, which suprised us.

By the way, the well water in Marvin tastes delish!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM

431 posts, read 1,498,055 times
Yeah, I have heard that the well water is perfectly fine for swimming pools and irrigation, but not consumption. I believe that there are traces of arsenic in the well water making it not feasible for drinking.

I have friends up in Lake Norman area who use their well water for everything.

Honestly, I think you have to seriously consider a well when building in Union County. If you want to maintain your landscaping properly in this climate, it is not economical to pay for County water. Add to that the distinct possibility of these water restrictions every summer, its almost a no brainer. Add to that a swimming pool on your property and youre probably foolish to not do it (like I am).

I will be seriously shopping for a well once the summer is over and this whole water issue dies down a bit. I hate always having to worry about using water. Coming from NY where a quarterly bill cost less than $100, this is quite the culture shock.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't have an irrigation system, just hoses and sprinklers My yard is about a third of an acre.
So when is the "slip-n-slide" sprinkler party?

Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM

221 posts, read 673,099 times
Culture shock it is! It disturbs me to know I am leaving NY for one thing to save on real estate taxes only to give it back in a water bill.
I would imagine people who get that $500-$1000 first water bill have no idea how costly the water is and are concerned with preserving the free sod(included in your price)you get from the builder.
I know ahead of time so I would be using the irrigation water sparingly.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threesons View Post
Culture shock it is! It disturbs me to know I am leaving NY for one thing to save on real estate taxes only to give it back in a water bill.
I would imagine people who get that $500-$1000 first water bill have no idea how costly the water is and are concerned with preserving the free sod(included in your price)you get from the builder.
I know ahead of time so I would be using the irrigation water sparingly.
Or just move to Mecklenburg county instead of Union

Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
So when is the "slip-n-slide" sprinkler party?
Every Saturday afternoon while the burgers are sizzling on the grill!! Come on over, you bring the beer

Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,987 times
Guess this is one way living in Charlotte is "cheaper" than out in Union county. I did extensive watering in the last month (no water restrictions in
Quote:
Mecklenburg county - though I was careful to water in the evening only like they requested) and my bill for water was $24.42. This was attached to my sewer and storm water fees of $56.58 for a grand total of $81.00.

Normally my bill runs about $45 a month total for all three charges.
Seriously! I live in an apartment so obviously I don't have a yard. My water bill is usually $3 -$4 a month. I can't imagine paying triple digits!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

525 posts, read 1,642,375 times
U120..I live in Union and have a gorgeous lawn..we water 2x a week unless it rains..you HAVE to soak your lawn so that it goes to the roots, if your roots are deep then they can tolerate the heat better. Our water bill for 1/4 of an acre is about 70-100 a month..we are a family of five and I stay home with our kids. Established lawns need an inch of water per week to live. If we are in restrictions or drought (sp?) and you water that much the grass may be brown but it just means it has gone dormant and is not dead. The best time to establish a yard is fall not summer. Have your yard aerated (not with spikes but cored) and overseeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte