Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM

221 posts, read 746,328 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the pros/cons for putting a well on your property. I am buying in Marvin and I am getting warnings as to the cost of water.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threesons View Post
Is anyone familiar with the pros/cons for putting a well on your property. I am buying in Marvin and I am getting warnings as to the cost of water.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
we just got our water bill it was 103.00 for the month we are in hunter oaks we are still on water restriciton so we dont water like we normally wood and we are a family of 4....

Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
we just got our water bill it was 103.00 for the month we are in hunter oaks we are still on water restriciton so we dont water like we normally wood and we are a family of 4....
Are you in the village of Marvin. I heard that our water bills are higher because they dont have their own supply. I don't know I am just so confused as to why some neighbors say they get $300-$400 water bills.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Are you in the village of Marvin. I heard that our water bills are higher because they dont have their own supply. I don't know I am just so confused as to why some neighbors say they get $300-$400 water bills.
No we live across the street from your development we are in Hunter Oaks off of Rea and Tom short...also my house is only 3125 sq feet I do have 3 bathrooms though..I dont know but my water bill was for 35 days as it was the 1st bill...my realtor also lives in my development and her bill was about 130 for her water and she has a family of 5..also remember watering the lawn is a killer and Ive driven by some developments the sprinklers are on constantly we also run them overnight instead of during the day...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
No we live across the street from your development we are in Hunter Oaks off of Rea and Tom short...also my house is only 3125 sq feet I do have 3 bathrooms though..I dont know but my water bill was for 35 days as it was the 1st bill...my realtor also lives in my development and her bill was about 130 for her water and she has a family of 5..also remember watering the lawn is a killer and Ive driven by some developments the sprinklers are on constantly we also run them overnight instead of during the day...
The well these people are putting in are very costly and is used only for the irrigation. You still would get a water bill for the filtered water you use on the house. I just don't see if it is necessary to spend the $ on the well. Also, I wonder if the city or town can come and force you to shut them down if it posses any water pressure problems or chemical imbalances.
Any thoughts out there?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,172 times
Well, I am one of those whom have had a $500 water bill....shocking to say the least. I have 12 zones of irrigation. It is virtually impossible to keep a green lawn here during the summer months without having a large water bill. I have only been here 11 months and the water situation has been the one thing I honestly cant get used to. The prices are ridiculous.

Had I known prior to buying here I would have definitely considered a well. I would have negotiated with the builder as part of the buying process. I have heard that the well builders have gotten somewhat greedy under the circumstances and have raised their prices by $1000.00 over a 1 year span. A neighbor of mine just was quoted $4500 to build a well and there exists no guarantee that water will be found. If they need to dig deeper, you will need to dig deeper into your pockets for every foot they go. You need to get a permit also. He told me he could have gotten one last year for $3000.

Considering it all, I would still love to have a well. I own a pool and considering the fact that I need to fill it due to condensation and that to have nice landscape you need to water every day, a well would be the best option of water source.

I am wondering how common these water restrictions are? Is this something that happens every summer here?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM

U120,
my thoughts for using the well was for irrigation and possibly a pool. But I dont't think using the well water for a pool is a smart thing to do as the water will be very hard. Next cost would be all the chemicals needed to neutralize it for the pool equipment and your body. So talking to people I think you would still want the filtered water in the pool. I know here in NY I have a pool and when it rains the pool water gets all out of sorts.
I got a price quote of $6k for a well from the builder. How crazy is that. If I got a price quote of $3k I would most definitely take it and run. And it is true what you said about digging and digging deeper and deeper that it would mean you going deeper and deeper in your pockets!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
U120,
my thoughts for using the well was for irrigation and possibly a pool. But I dont't think using the well water for a pool is a smart thing to do as the water will be very hard. Next cost would be all the chemicals needed to neutralize it for the pool equipment and your body. So talking to people I think you would still want the filtered water in the pool. I know here in NY I have a pool and when it rains the pool water gets all out of sorts.
I got a price quote of $6k for a well from the builder. How crazy is that. If I got a price quote of $3k I would most definitely take it and run. And it is true what you said about digging and digging deeper and deeper that it would mean you going deeper and deeper in your pockets!

we have a ton of zones as well, my lawn is magnificent...I have zones in the front, in the back and drip zones as well...When we lived in NJ we had wells in every home we lived in..loved them however the water is hard, awful washing hair, and so so for the Pool as we also had an inground pool as well....but I did love not paying a water bill...lol

Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 AM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
I am wondering how common these water restrictions are? Is this something that happens every summer here?
I am in Union County and I called Public Works and asked when they anticipated removing the water restriction. I was told at first freeze. Over the weekend there was an article on the paper that said they would likely start the water restrictions earlier next year - supposedly in March. I built a new house with irrigation and sod only in the front and I am dying to get my backyard usable. We had a quote for irrigation just before the restrictions were imposed, and I just called them, and it appears they are out of busineess now!

Also, as far as the cost of water goes, my neighbor's 1st water bill after they moved in was $1000!!!! That was prior to having watering restrictions and only watering his front yard!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Guess this is one way living in Charlotte is "cheaper" than out in Union county. I did extensive watering in the last month (no water restrictions in Mecklenburg county - though I was careful to water in the evening only like they requested) and my bill for water was $24.42. This was attached to my sewer and storm water fees of $56.58 for a grand total of $81.00.

Normally my bill runs about $45 a month total for all three charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte