U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:15 AM

441 posts, read 1,067,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I'm one of those who doesn't really understand why nobody has a party at home anymore. I also don't get how it could possibly be more or as expensive as hosting an entire preschool class full of kids at Monkey Joes, Chuck E Cheese, etc.

Is there something wrong with just ordering a couple of pizzas, setting out juice boxes and cake and letting the kids run in the sprinklers? This question isn't necessarily for the OP, it's just a general one. It's definitely something I've observed in Charlotte as opposed to other places I've lived, that everyone tries to one-up each other when it comes to kids' parties. I'm not sure the kids care much.
I agree. Opening your home also gives a sense of 'family' and connectedness that bring kids and parents closer together (and the snotty parents who you can tell are unimpressed with your party are the same parents who will be giving their kids range rovers at 16...don't ever worry about those folks as they live to one up everyone!). When kids grow up together, visiting one another, having parties at one another's homes then they do become closer. Also, with little kids the cost CAN be kept down at home. They do not need theme plates and cups and expensive cakes. You can keep warm a bunch of cheap hotdoges in a crockpot or get little ceasars pizza IF you much have a meal. Otherwise they can do cupcakes on plain paper plates and have paper cups of punch, with a side of pretzels and carrot sticks. Let them decorate their cupcakes with sprikles. One stop at Harris Teeter and Little Ceasars and they are happy...to be with each other and to be able to run around and play. Truly. That is all it takes at age 5. We did the above, turned on the sprinklers and put a bunch of balls outside and everyone was happy. One year we went all out and had a friends teenager come and make balloon animals. We always got out under $50...with a solid turnout every year.

But...back to OP. I love the fire station and Ben and Jerry's ideas above. If you are not wanting to be at home then both of those sound WAY more fun to me than yet another visit to Sports Connection, as you said!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:50 AM

65 posts, read 156,778 times
This might be too close to having it at your home, but have you looked into Fun Bus - Fitness Fun on Wheels

Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
the only things "convenient" to S. Charlotte are the places you're sick of!

you should do an "advanced search" on the forum. This subject is oft-discussed...

I did do an advanced search and nothing came up that hasn't been done 100 times. I was looking for some original ideas. Thanks to the many nice people on here I got some. People suggested some pizzeria's in the area where the kids all get to make a pizza, tour the place etc.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,863,873 times
The YMCA does awesome custom parties. They can do any sports themes, or use their inside kid fit gym with the foam pit, zip slide and other activities. They can do a blow up bounce house in one of the indoor gyms. They also do indoor pool birthday parties as well but for preschoolers I don't know. I would do a kid fit party. There is also an art studio for an Art party as well.

If you like the pizza idea, there is a place called young chef academy next to Earth Fare on Johnston across from Ballantyne Village. They do birthday parties there with pizzas and other goodies.

Oh and in stonecrest on the end with the borders/anzi's, around the corner there next to jersey mike's I believe there is a great pottery studio that does parties as well.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM

797 posts, read 2,979,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The YMCA does awesome custom parties. They can do any sports themes, or use their inside kid fit gym with the foam pit, zip slide and other activities. They can do a blow up bounce house in one of the indoor gyms. They also do indoor pool birthday parties as well but for preschoolers I don't know. I would do a kid fit party. There is also an art studio for an Art party as well.

If you like the pizza idea, there is a place called young chef academy next to Earth Fare on Johnston across from Ballantyne Village. They do birthday parties there with pizzas and other goodies.

Oh and in stonecrest on the end with the borders/anzi's, around the corner there next to jersey mike's I believe there is a great pottery studio that does parties as well.

Which YMCA has that kid fit gym? Young Chef's closed a long time ago.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,863,873 times
I didn't realize the young chef academy had closed.

The Morrison has both the art studio and the kid fit gym. To take a peek at the party room and gym, when you enter in the "old" entrance. (Drive in to the Y and turn left and go straight just past the pool and park. There is an entrance there on your right just after the pool entrance.

Once inside, go straight, when you pass the dance studio and the child care, take a left. The gym is all the way down. (pass the preschool rooms) The party room is the last doorway on your right I believe.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM

38 posts, read 58,125 times
Sorry, just read the OP again.

My Gym on Pineville Matthews or at Blakeney, I think, "do everything" and it's a little unique.

The fact is, if you want them to "do everything", you're going to have to pay $$ for it.

Also, check out the pottery place at Stonecrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte