Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 PM

56 posts, read 221,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydena View Post
lovesmountains,
that last thing that you wrote makes me want to move down there even more, its good to see that people are that positive in Charlotte............But you fail to mention one thing that I am looking for, that I did not mention before and is very important to me............Please tell me they have a strong, good southern hospitality??; that the southern traditions on life are not forgotten, that's one part that I love about the south, you never forget where you came from
Cydena during my home shopping in the Carolinas in June. My fiancee and i met this tremendous couple in June and we immediately clicked. Need i say on my return visit to view my new home in July they showed their hospitality by requesting i stay at their home with my two boys. May i say what a pleasant time i had. Their three boys were so respectful and well mannered and the parent's need i say more. It was just a blessing meeting this couple. I have approximately two years prior to actually relocating fully, but i bought my home now. Let me just transform you now by calling by your new name maam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbBrown21 View Post
LoveMountains -I just really, really, really love you! You ae always so postive and consistently are always providing great and useful information to ALL. I am African-American, and I can say that when I was visiting Raleigh last month, everyone was genuinely very nice. What was even more surprising was the fact that young teenagers would hold the door for me and wait on me and not let it slam in my face and when I said thank you, they would say you're welcomed sir. I spent a lot of time in North Charlotte and it was very mixed and not all segreated like it is here in Chicago. It was a breathe of fresh air and just felt really great. Even a side trip to Wilmington, NC was amazing. Folks were soooooo friendly and helpful and thoughtful! I can't wait to get down to Charlotte for my visit this month and I am sure that Charlotte will embrace me. The reason why I am visiting Charlotte and considering it is because I believe it has a bit more to offer than Raleigh, but Raleigh is a great place as well. Lastly, I just wanted to say WE ARE ALL ONE and we are all stronger when we work together to live our best lives and be happy. Brii and Harding thanks so much for the zipcodes, very helpfu!
WOW! Thanks Rob, you made my whole week - gosh I'm speechless now!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM

163 posts, read 525,805 times
Charlotte, as was said, is becoming more of a melting pot than anything else. I have to say that when we moved here we were pleasantly surprised to be accepted by all races without reservation. Every subdivision we toured and every sales agent regardless of color treated with open arms and respect. This, more than any other aspect of our Charlotte experience has caused us to grow fond of the city.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 PM

120 posts, read 370,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harding123 View Post
Cydena during my home shopping in the Carolinas in June. My fiancee and i met this tremendous couple in June and we immediately clicked. Need i say on my return visit to view my new home in July they showed their hospitality by requesting i stay at their home with my two boys. May i say what a pleasant time i had. Their three boys were so respectful and well mannered and the parent's need i say more. It was just a blessing meeting this couple. I have approximately two years prior to actually relocating fully, but i bought my home now. Let me just transform you now by calling by your new name maam.
Harding, I am living in Chicago right now, and would like to know where are you from? I have been thinking about getting my home early down there and relocating later and am curious to know did you buy your new home in an Home Owner's Association and if you have to pay fees, and what area of town did you purchase your new place? Also, do you plan to hire a property managment company to maintain your priority for those two years that you won't be down there, such as mowing the lawn and maintaining the bushes and just checking in to make sure there are no leaks and etcetera. Lastly, what was your reasons for buying early? Thanks in advance. If it feels like I'm putting you on blast, please feel free to send me a private message. I am always interested in things like this since I really do not have anyone to talk options through with from my end.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrust7 View Post
Hello all,
I am a bit confused. I was under the impression that Charlotte was a fairly diverse city, but reviewing this topic I see someone noted that black neighborhoods in Charlotte are considered dangerous. Is this accurate? Is this how most feel about predominately “black” communities in Charlotte?
No, that poster just had no idea what he was talking about.
There is tons of Black Neighborhoods in Charlotte, and even apartment complexes that are very nice.

I have alot of friends who live in Heatherwood apartments, and it is probably 70% Black, 20% Latino, and 10% White, and it is a lovely neighborhood. Most areas in Charlotte are not All White, or All Black.
Most "Black" neighborhoods have at least 10 White households, and vice versa.
I live in a White neighborhood, and there is at least 20 Black family's within a few blocks of my house.
Charlotte is a pretty diverse, and open minded place. There are racists, but those people are looked down upon by pretty much everyone else regardless of race.

Of course places like Grier Heights, and places near the airport, and neighborhoods near Public Housing should be avoided, along with any Projects on the Eastside and Westside should be avoided.

Ive been in the worst "hoods" in Charlotte many times, and many of the people ive met are very nice, and ive never felt in danger. Unlike Tampa Bay where if you go in the wrong area on the wrong block people will tell you straight up "Get the f*** off my block unless you wanna die." and they really mean it, its no joke.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I relocated to the Charlotte area in March and if there is 1 thing I have noticed (vs. living near Raleigh, where I came from) is that there is much less division of race/social class here. You will find million dollar mansions right down the road from trailer parks and I have seen a lot more diversity than I ever did in Raleigh. I agree with the person who said the only color that matters is GREEN! LOL
I find Charlotte to be very diverse and racially tolerant.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

120 posts, read 370,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I relocated to the Charlotte area in March and if there is 1 thing I have noticed (vs. living near Raleigh, where I came from) is that there is much less division of race/social class here. You will find million dollar mansions right down the road from trailer parks and I have seen a lot more diversity than I ever did in Raleigh. I agree with the person who said the only color that matters is GREEN! LOL
I find Charlotte to be very diverse and racially tolerant.
Shaylahc - why did you relocate from Raleigh to Charlotte? I was in Raleigh last month and although it is nice, I just felt like something was missing. Do not get me wrong, the folks were very, very, very friendly, but yet something was missing, and I still can't put my finger on it and that is why I am coming down to Charlotte this month so that I can compare the two cities.

Ironically enough, I was saying at a LaQuinta Inn and I was telling the front desk clerk that I was down there checking out Raleigh and she just looked at me and said, "oh you need to go visit Charlotte." I am not sure what it is, but I have been feeling a huge vibration for Charlotte, since a year ago actually. Anyway, if you can share experiences and if you can take the time to share your pros and cons of each city that would be great and again, the reason why you left Raleigh, I would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Nad

2 posts, read 6,734 times
Hi Tetrus - I would love to know more about your findings. I am an African American single mother to a 3 yr old son. I recently informed my employer of my interest in moving to North Carolina. My hot topics are similar to yours, affordable, good schooling, nice neighborhood. I too have focused on the zip codes - 28216, 28269, 28027 (maybe 28025). Check out www. schoolmatters.com. The site will provide you with the schools demographics, the community demographics, the recent math and reading scores. Feel free to send me a direct email ncm870@yahoo.com or post to the site and I will try to find it. I am new to the site.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 19,880 times
How about Savannah GA?

We currently reside in the island areas (3 minutes from Truman Parkway) and are planning a move to Pooler. Our home is great with inground pool. If interested please check out our link: Keller Williams Realty Coastal Area Partners

Have a great day!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
Default OMG-I needed this so much

I've been here 3 months and am looking for fun. I did visit both Jazz houses and like the Jazz Cafe better. Nevertheless, your information will help me eat and be entertain. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harding123 View Post
I'm also from NY, although a little older than you. You should be fine with a little bit of research you will be able to find plenty of entertainment to fit your needs. However remember everything shuts down at 2 AM and not 4 AM like NY. PUBLICATIONS
The Charlotte Post thecharlottepost.com/
Pride Magazine pridemagazine.net/
Sotac Magazine sotacmag.com/

EVENT WEBSITES
alwaysintheknow.com/itk/
adolphshiver.com/
ajentertainmentinc.com
CharlotteVibe.com
cuzncity.com
executiveent.com
goodlookentertainment.com
goodpeoples.com/
innercircleevents.com
thesoulmovement.com

RESTAURANTS
THE COFFEE CUP coffeecupsoul.com/
THE HOUSE OF JAZZ thehouseofjazz.net/
MERT’S mertsuptown.com
SIMMONS FOURTH WARD RESTAURANT, 516 N. Graham St., Charlotte, NC 28202, (704) 334-6640
Addie's Jamaican Cuisine, 3116 N Davidson St, Charlotte, NC 28205, 704-331-0047
Anntony's Caribbean Café anntonys.com/
Austin's Caribbean Cuisine (Take out only), 345 S. Kings Drive, Charlotte, NC 28204, 704-331-8778
The Caribbean Hut, 9609 N Tryon St., Charlotte, 28262, (704) 593-0030
Charleston House charlestonhouseontheplaza.com/
The Chicken Box Café, 3726 N Tryon St, Charlotte, 28206, (704) 566-6000
Down to the Bone, 7945 N Tryon St., Charlotte, 28262, (704) 548-1616
Golden Krust goldenkrustbakery.com/
Jaimama Restaurant & Bar, 1626 East Blvd, Charlotte, 28203, (704) 358-8188
The Jazz Café thejazzcafenc.com
Junior’s Chicken & Waffles, 9311 JW Clay Blvd at N. Tryon, Charlotte, 28262, (704) 503-3335
KokoMo’s Coffeehouse kokomoscoffee.com/
La'wan's Soul Food Restaurant, 7705 S Tryon St Ste C, Charlotte, NC 28217-3310, (704) 665-7225
Mama's Caribbean Grill, 1504 Central Ave, Charlotte, NC 28205, (704) 375-8414
Madison Saints Paradise South Cafeteria 2812 Beatties Ford Road at I-85, 704-887-7206
Outer Bounds Sports Bar & Grill obsportsbar.com/home.html

RADIO STATIONS
92.7 FM – Old School (Tom Joyner & Wendy Williams shows)
101.9 FM – Old School (Steve Harvey & Michael Baisden shows)
97.9 FM – Hip Hop
96.1 FM – Hip Hop
100.9 FM – Gospel
88.9 FM – Jazz

CLUBS
THE HOUSE OF JAZZ The House of Jazz
TIME LOUNGE www.timecharlotte.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte