Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM

716 posts, read 1,539,782 times

Advertisements

With the rising cost of fuel and groceries what have you been doing to save money? Me I cut my own hair now and drive much less. Any other tips to save money here in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,791,006 times
Whats up Charlotte, Charlotte...How is that "Phoenix" trek going? ......Stay at home more now since gas is about $4.00 a gallon to conserve gas.....

Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,538,687 times
CharlotteHalfOff: Charlotte Half Off

Join Earn Free Stuff by Getting Reward Points at Swagbucks.com to get swagbucks for doing searches, watching videos, using coupons, etc. You can redeem the points for Amazon gift cards and other rewards. I've easily gotten 200 dollars in the past year.

Join Cookies are Required with a email account that you don't care about. You get points for clicking a link in an advertising email. Got 50 bucks in Amazon gift cards last year.

If you like to go out to eat look at Best Deals and Discounts on the Best Local Restaurants – Save Money on Food with Restaurant.com for deals.

Keeping with the going out to eat, go to happy hours where they often have cheap deals on apps or burgers.

Save the containers you get from the deli at the grocey instead of buying new Tupperware.

Shop at Trader Joes/WalMart/Target instead of Harris Teeter. Wally and Tarshay are cheaper overall but TJ's has good deals.

Get produce baskets from FAQs | Your Neighborhood Produce.

If you have a cat and use Fresh Step, they have points that you save to redeem for free stuff.

Always check out manufacturer web sites for deals/coupons. Firebirds offers a free app if you sign up for their email club.

Shop for everything you can at Amazon.com. Most shipping for products over $25 is free.

Buy stuff at the Dollar Store. While I wouldn't buy food there, they do have good things like Reynolds Aluminum Foil.

Donate plasma http://www.talecrisplasma.com/html/talecris-faqs.htm

Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 AM

983 posts, read 2,533,633 times
Great post both Charlottes.. I am starting my own veggie garden soon. I know I will recover the initial cost and more over time and maybe make couple friends by giving some veggies to my neighbors.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,035,324 times
Dropped Netflix and get DVDs from the library. (Also get books there too, if you don't already). Read the magazines I like there too.

Shop yard sales/garage sales all through the year for "stocking stuffers" for the kids. I buy toys after Christmas when they are on clearance for next year's Christmas or birthdays, not just for my kids, but also for my nieces and nephews.

I only buy new clothes for my kids, but I coupon like crazy at Gap and Gymboree and sometimes you can buy the things new cheaper than used. Also you can find great clothing deals on Ebay. Kohls and Belks have great coupons and sales, and I find good brand khackis and shirts for DH there. Also shop Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

Have your own yard sale/garage sale, or take things to a consignment store, or sell on Ebay.

If you get good cell phone reception, dump your home phone if you haven't already.

For a movie that is a must see at the movie theater, the cinemas at Birkdale have 2 tickets for $10.00 on Tuesdays (don't know about other area theaters).

I second the Dollar Store for items like toothpaste (they carry Crest and Colgate sometimes), soap, lotion, Pears glycerin face soap, etc. If you find a brand you like, stock up, because they may only have it that one time.

Also, check out the Frugal Living forum--they have tons of ideas.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM

716 posts, read 1,539,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Whats up Charlotte, Charlotte...How is that "Phoenix" trek going? ......Stay at home more now since gas is about $4.00 a gallon to conserve gas.....

Moving to Phoenix(probably Glendale) in August, two years of this city is enough for me. Gas will probably be 4.50 a Gallon then

Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
For a movie that is a must see at the movie theater, the cinemas at Birkdale have 2 tickets for $10.00 on Tuesdays (don't know about other area theaters).
Cinemark - Home in Matthews is supposed to be pretty cheap. Not sure what the price is up to now but it used to be $2.50 after 6 pm, I believe.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,639,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Cinemark - Home in Matthews is supposed to be pretty cheap. Not sure what the price is up to now but it used to be $2.50 after 6 pm, I believe.
$2.00 during the week, all showtimes; $2.25 Fridays & Saturdays after 6. On Mondays, if you have 3 or more people, it's 75 cents each!! 3-D is $2.00 more.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
$2.00 during the week, all showtimes; $2.25 Fridays & Saturdays after 6. On Mondays, if you have 3 or more people, it's 75 cents each!! 3-D is $2.00 more.
I haven't been there but if I do go I will have to make an effort to buy snacks there. When I go to AMC, Regal, etc. I always bring it in.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,035,324 times
When we lived in Asheville, I was part of a group of moms who got together once a month. We all paid like $50, bought everything in bulk, and cooked a whole bunch of meals together that went into the freezer. We would get at least 12 meals out of it (3 recipes, 4 meals of each recipe).We would rotate houses and all watch the kids.

We made things like turkey burgers, lasagna, fajitas, soups, steak rolls, etc.

It was the perfect alternative to take out on those nights you don't have time or energy to cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte