U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM

120 posts, read 332,630 times

Advertisements

Folks, I have been really struggling lately to either buy into an HOA community in the Charlotte area or not to do so. I am coming from Chicago and after 8 years of living in my community, it has just become unbearable. I have been given notices to replace windows in my unit within 15 days. As many of you know it can just take 15 days to just get estimates. Anyway, I am looking for an alternative at this point. I'm sure there are some good HOAs, and I will still consider them, but at this time as I am planning a visit within the next few weeks, would like to go visit HOA communities and compare them with HOA-Free communities if there is such a thing down in Charlotte.

I would like to ask if there are folks who are living in the areas of University City, Huntersville, and Concord. If you could state your Town of where you are from, if you're HOA-Free, and the name of your subdivision and if you know of any houses on the market currently for sale to let me know here or via private message. I am specificially looking at University City, Huntersville, and Concord, however, if your town is close to uptown, please feel free to inspire me to take a look at a subdivision or area of town that I may not have considered since I would be a newcomer. Thank you all in advance for your help and assistance. Robb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 AM

95 posts, read 352,298 times
I live in Cedarfield which is in Huntersville. We have a hoa and it cost about $350 per year. Alot of hoa for homes just control the grounds of the common area, pool etc. I know I have gotten notices for trash cans being out and they can control overnight parking, lawn care, color of homes....
I feel they have kept our neighborhood which is older for the area in great condition and our home prices show for that.
It would be a great idea to find the neighborhood you like and get the bylaws of the HOA. You want some control but not to give up all your rights.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-31-2007 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising

Old 07-31-2007, 11:06 AM

120 posts, read 332,630 times
Thanks LKNHomePro for the information, but I am specificially looking for HOA-Free communities and sub-divisions to visit and compare to HOA. I would like to visit and see how HOA-Frees are maintained compared to HOA communities. This will really help me to make the best informed decision for myself. I know that I can ready the by-laws before making an offer, but unfortunately, my HOA here in Chicago after 8 years has left a bad taste in my mouth. Everyone here so far seems to enjoy their HOAs and that is a good sign, but when I visit, I will have to just see things for myself. Thanks again.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:45 PM

80 posts, read 217,055 times
There really aren't any HOA free communities in Huntersville. There are some streets near 115 and Gilead Road and maybe some pockets of streets here or there around town that aren't part of a subdvision, but really most of Huntersville are HOA communities.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 PM

41 posts, read 94,208 times
Not sure if you are still looking for an HOA-free community, but I'd check out Highland Ridge in Harrisburg (just north of Charlotte and easy commute via 485). No HOA, large lots and Cabarrus County schools.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 PM

94 posts, read 300,008 times
Eagle Ridge subdivision in the University area. It is off prosperity church road. There are 2 houses that I know of, currently on the market. No HOA.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:56 PM

95 posts, read 352,298 times
Also as you enter Cedarfield off of Gilead you go through Torrence Crossing which they call Cedarfield, has no HOA but an option to pay so you can have a pool. you get a good idea how HOA's Help alot from one part to another. I am a huge fan of HOA just because depending on the neighborhood they can really keep it in line so it creates great home price growth.
Every person has different wants and alot dont want others to control what they do on the property. There are definitely neighborhoods that will fit your wants.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:59 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,220,816 times
Yep, Eagle Ridge. Clients of mine purchased in there over the summer.

I believe Scenic was one of the builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or