U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM

462 posts, read 1,684,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbBrown21 View Post
Cydena - as you can tell, there are a lot of folks from NYC/NJ area living down in Charlotte. Everyone can give you their opinion, but like many of the posters have stated, you just have to come on down to Charlotte and see for yourself. Before you even get down here, you may want to make a checklist of everything you want in a new city. For example, my list would include, nightlife, museums, cost of living, movie theaters, broadway shows (remember Charlotte does have a lot of broadway shows coming through town). Also, remember you can always take a quick flight back up to New York for the weekends and get together for friends. Many folks are relocating to Charlotte for the cost of living, the affordability of a housing. When I lived in NYC, I was young fabulous and broke. Just keep an open mind when visiting Charlotte. Just remember you have to visit the city, so get on your computer and look for a cheap package deal to Charlotte and come see the "Queen City" and all it is has to offer. One last thing, if you're coming from NYC, you are going to definitely need a car in Charlotte. If you come down here and like it, you may want to keep that in mind. I hope this helps.
Great advice. My only suggestion is to do all of the above but give yourself a week in Charlotte to really get a feel for what it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM

120 posts, read 332,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Great advice. My only suggestion is to do all of the above but give yourself a week in Charlotte to really get a feel for what it has to offer.

I defiitely agree with you on that. You need at least a week to cover all of the areas in Charlotte. Does anyone know where you can get a free zip code map of the Charlotte area on the internet? I think this would greatly help.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 AM

168 posts, read 430,763 times
BRAVO TO LISAF

you are exactly right! You have to move for the right reasons.We are relocating to NC from L.I. New York, we loved NY for all it offers.We are looking forward to experiencing NC & SC for all it has, We are city people but I think it is soo cool and refreshing to see cows and horses down the block from where I am going to live.

PS Happiness comes from within !

Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
I don't think there is much to adjust. Half of Charlotte is from the NE, and the rest are transplants from FL!!!
Those are called 'Halfbacks'.
As in they have moved half way back to NY.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,798,349 times
Ex NYer who lived in Brooklyn for 40 years and worked in Manhattan. I moved here in June of 07' and truly love Charlotte. Everything in life has negatives, but the postives here outweigh them. We will always love NYC for shopping, restuarant, nightlife and entertainment. However, Charlote comes as close to NYC as possible. The nightlife ends earlier, but restaurant and entertainment are close to comparison. I won't lie, shopping here is not the same. I feel truly outdated and will visit NYC and Atlanta at least every 4 months to stay in the current trends. My 15 year old daughter just told me today just how much she love Charlotte. Hearing those words come out of her mouth is acknowledging that I made the right decision. My suggestion is Queen City does not have everything, but it has enough to keep you satisfied. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM

184 posts, read 430,078 times
lived in Manhattan for a while, lived in Astoria Queens for a while, im 25 and I was hesitant but overall I really like it down here, cost of living is lower, but not that much lower- I guess it depends on how you are living currently in NYC (Manhattan vs a borough like BK, Queens, Bronx, etc)

I like being able to drive where I need to go and not worry about crazy Manhattan traffic or spending hours on the MTA- and when I do need to leave the city how much of a driving exercise it can be to get to Jersey, etc

clearly there's more diversity in New York, food choices, music scenes, etc- but so far I really like CLT and would recommend it (with the exception of I can't get a decent Trini roti anywhere!)

Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM

35 posts, read 80,710 times
Born in Bronx and spent most of my life in NY .3 years in Charlotte and wish we moved earlier.Great restaurants,nice people,rolling hills,farms,great home values.Here In S Charlotte and loving it

Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM

61 posts, read 53,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydena View Post
I currently live in NYC and want to move to Charlotte. I wanted to know who has moved from the NYC area and is currently living in Charlotte. How are you adjusting?, how is the difference??, is there any??, do you regret the move??, and most of all, do you actually like it in Charlotte??
It's certainly not NYC but that's why you're leaving. It has gotten so much better with the flood of Nyers although I doubt the natives see it that way. It's a tough call. Good luck either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or