U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Dude, the only place that I have lived that had an HOA has been in NC. I was also the president of my HOA. I am a trained property manager and have had 10+ years in real estate training.
This is really irrelevant to what I posted. I don't doubt you but if true, then you should have known better to post what you posted. It's clear, for example what municipal taxes and what HOA dues cover, yet you combined them into one item.

It isn't the job BTW for the management company to advise a HOA board on how to do their business, UNLESS the HOA has decided to pay them for such legal advice. IMO, they would be better served by employing a lawyer. The role of the management company is to handle the administrative details they were hired to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM

60 posts, read 100,327 times
Dude..just don't buy in an HOA - they don't protect the neighborhood or investment - values are dropping anyway...I just read this whole thread and was amazed at the detail....I've lived HOA free for 35 yrs - had no purple spotted houses, or sky high grass issues - live with decent people and it won't be an issue..it's not worth all of this...some folks like them - great let them have what they want, some don't - ok, don't have one...I won't...but it does limit your areas but that's ok...this way you can make it your own...which is the whole point isn't it ?????????

Old 06-07-2011, 05:33 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
State law now requires that Management companies are trained and licensed in order to operate.
Can you post a link that confirms this? I wasn't aware of anything passing.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It isn't the job BTW for the management company to advise a HOA board on how to do their business, UNLESS the HOA has decided to pay them for such legal advice. IMO, they would be better served by employing a lawyer. The role of the management company is to handle the administrative details they were hired to do.
The management companies are the ones that typically send out the 47F lien warning letters. That's an example of something teetering on both management and legal.

I find it ironic that the our management company goes to our HOA meetings. They must be there fore some reason. The irony is that I've never seen Robert's Rules of Order used at our meetings and you'd think the management company would want to let the board know their entire meeting is out of order.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 53,326 times
Is there a PAC in NC currently working on legislation to protect homeowners from unfair HOA actions? I'd like to share the following videos with them. I live in the Raleigh/Durham area.

The current vice president of my HOA lives 5 houses away from an elderly woman who spent $40,000+ in legal fees to stop my HOA from foreclosing on her house for a siding covenant violation. Her son, 53, had a heart attack brought on by the stress, which included a car crash (caused when a board member crashed into the back of her car. She couldn't make the board member pay to fix the car, since the board was taking action against her on her house. So she ate the costs of the car crash).

But about the vice president of my HOA.... 2 yrs ago, He replaced the wood trim on his home with aluminum trim (a covenant violation), replaced half the windows on his house with windows that don't match the rest of his house. And the trim on the new windows is white aluminum, while the trim on the rest of the house his light brown.

When I reported the vp's violation, he was not served with the same actions as my elderly neighbor up the street. He played golf, traveled, did things retired people do... and is a board member who participates in due process hearings against homeowners who violate the covenant.

When I asked the HOA and the management company to watch the video I was told "he brought in a sample of the trim he installed and it was not aluminum. I don't need to see the video, I'm satisfied that aluminum was not installed."

Please see video of this HOA board violating their own covenant at a board meeting:

HOA board meeting video - 10 minutes

And another video of the aluminum trim installation:

Aluminum trim installation on HOA vice president's house

By the way, the board member who crashed into her car is no longer on the board, instead, she is the Modifications Committee chairperson.

Last edited by Christinebbd; 07-12-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-12-2011, 02:24 PM

595 posts, read 1,400,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinebbd View Post
...elderly woman who spent $40,000+ in legal fees to stop my HOA from foreclosing on her house for a siding covenant violation.
She was violating the covenants, she should have gotten permission to change the siding. She wasted $40K when all she had to do was change the siding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinebbd View Post
When I asked the HOA and the management company to watch the video I was told "he brought in a sample of the trim he installed and it was not aluminum. I don't need to see the video, I'm satisfied that aluminum was not installed."
The management company doesn't care, they work for the board. You would be better served by getting elected to the board and changing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte