U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 AM

183 posts, read 330,525 times

Advertisements

Just moved into a house in a subdivision with an HOA.

Never dealt with one before so I really don't know what to expect. How do they enforce rules? Do they actually have any legal authority?

I've heard nightmare stories about out of control HOA's and people taking their power a little too seriously.

Not to focus on the negative, because I know they CAN do a lot of good, but I just want to be prepared on how to handle them if something comes up. The house which I bought was a short sale and there is quite a bit of work to be done and I can imagine any number of different things triggering some sort of reaction from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,089,302 times
You probably want to search out the many, many threads on the subject.

It is also important to review the CCRs that should have been given to you at closing. If, for some, reason you did not get them, it would be important to contact the management company as soon as possible to request a copy.

The HOA can either be a huge thorn in your side, or a help. Kind of depends on how it is run and there are huge variations within Charlotte. I am not a fan, but, they do exist. It would be important to see what category your specific HOA falls into. Regardless, I would find out who the president of your HOA is and arrange to have a meeting with him/her to discuss your plans. Sometimes, the president has completely different views from the management company, so, it might be wise to include the management company representative, too.

Have fun!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 AM

Ugh. Already kinda sorry I asked. Haha.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 AM

983 posts, read 2,167,257 times
HOA is a group of homeowners who volunteer their time to help maintain the community based on the CC&Rs that was put together by the builder. You usually get a copy of the CC&Rs when you close on the house. Most of the issues happen when people don't apply common sense, no pink flamingos and no dogs running around pooping all over the place or adding or changing the house in anyway that doesn't match the community. Yes some people take it to extreme, but if you just follow the rules you should be fine. Maybe you want to volunteer and be part of the HOA board, it gives you a lot of insight on how things are in your community.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 AM

5,777 posts, read 8,396,956 times
Did you really buy a house before even looking into the HOA?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Did you really buy a house before even looking into the HOA?
I know the jist of what my HOA entails but I'm looking more for answers to the one-off situations which aren't typically put forth proactively.

Don't talk to me like I'm stupid.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,184,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
Ugh. Already kinda sorry I asked. Haha.
Don't be

A good HOA (and more of them ARE good rather than bad) protects your investment in the neighborhood.

Everyone on the board is one of your neighbors, not some mean-spirited corporation trying to take advantage of you or something.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,060,394 times
HOA's are a good way for your neighbors to threaten to fine you and possibly foreclose on your home, because they don't like something you do. But it will shield you from the massive epidemic of houses painted purple (or any other color that isn't beige), and homes with more cars in the yard then driveway.

I don't think I missed anything there..

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,184,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
HOA is a group of homeowners who volunteer their time to help maintain the community based on the CC&Rs that was put together by the builder. You usually get a copy of the CC&Rs when you close on the house. Most of the issues happen when people don't apply common sense, no pink flamingos and no dogs running around pooping all over the place or adding or changing the house in anyway that doesn't match the community. Yes some people take it to extreme, but if you just follow the rules you should be fine. Maybe you want to volunteer and be part of the HOA board, it gives you a lot of insight on how things are in your community.

Excellent idea, and great post

People who want to paint their house bright pink, or grow corn in their front yard, hurt MY investment - the biggest investment most of us ever make. I appreciate there being common sense rules for everyone to follow so that my investment doesn't take a hit.

Sure, you hear occasional horror stories on the news about HOA's, but those are the exception, not the rule.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM

5,777 posts, read 8,396,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTfromCharlotte View Post
I know the jist of what my HOA entails but I'm looking more for answers to the one-off situations which aren't typically put forth proactively.

Don't talk to me like I'm stupid.
You took quite a bit from my single line question and I give you credit for reading my mind as that was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it.

In fairness, though... I can't imagine not reading the CCRs and talking to current residents about the current HOA before closing. The local HOA rules in general supersede just about everything else as far as laws over your property. The HOA can dictate everything from the colors of your house to the fences you choose to where you put your garbage cans. It can get quite onerous on you and they can be ruthless. They are within legal rights to fine you for not following rules and initiate foreclosure proceedings on your property in the event you don't pay those fines (or your dues).

We're not just talking inconveniences here... as chicagocubs points out a search of these boards will uncover some major nightmare stories about HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte