Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:05 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I wouldn't say Gorman's salary is "Outrageous." Do you know what he deals with on a DAILY basis? You may not like him and that's fine. For what all he has to deal with and his qualifications. He isn't overpaid.
I don't care what he gets paid, he deserves more after having NAACP picket HIS HOUSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
I have less problem with Gorman's salary and the salary of the principals as I do the sheer number of administrators. I think 100K is a reasonable salary for someone in charge of managing as large an organization as a school. But I think there is a lot of fat at the central office that could be cut.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 PM

94 posts, read 251,863 times
NC is not known for overpaying their educators so this post piqued my interest. This post is puzzling. It appears many of you think these salaries are high?!? As a fomer educator and administrator I am going to offer my two cents...

A couple posts referred to "the fat" at central office and elementary principals making 100+ a year.... Let's put this in perspective..... The majority of anyone in a higher level education position started as a teacher making 20- 30K a year.. Positions in central office as a director, principal, assistant principal require teaching experience and advanced degrees. So now, we are talking of people who have spent years in the classroom, have a masters or PhD and have volunteered countless hours as coaches, lead teachers, program coordinators, etc....

Yet, Charlotte being the newest financial hub... we don't second guess salaries of bank executives making upwards of a million dollars a year. One poster brought up the governors salary. Well, yes we are all in agreeance public service and state employees are underpaid... But the governor, has a 4 year stretch and often has businesses or his/her former career going on the side. He/she isn't living off that income alone. With the amount of hours an educator commits to his/her profession, it is unlikely they are able to have another form of income at least providing the majority of their living expenses. In addition to an educators responsibilities there is a portion of their salary that they are paying out of their own pocket to provide materials, and necessities for their students that the state does not provide. No other profession requires this sacrifice. Here is a joke/fact my elementary school teacher friends used to say..... An elementary school teacher is the only profession where his/her lunch break is dependent on the weather. (If it is increment weather and the students can't go outside for recess they stay in the classroom... when does that teacher get to leave for lunch or bathroom... etc...) Something most employees in another field would never consider or be aware of as a problem.... Again another perspective.....

A school administrator does not have the luxuries of a coorporate CEO having multiple departments to take care of budget, HR, legal, marketing, community relations, etc.... they do it on their own with the help of underpaid salary based teachers voluntering as committee heads... Educator salaries are based on years of experience and degrees and credits beyond the Bachelor level. Those salaries posted 100K+ are towards the end of the individual's career not the beginning.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramca View Post
NC is not known for overpaying their educators so this post piqued my interest. This post is puzzling. It appears many of you think these salaries are high?!? As a fomer educator and administrator I am going to offer my two cents...

A couple posts referred to "the fat" at central office and elementary principals making 100+ a year.... Let's put this in perspective..... The majority of anyone in a higher level education position started as a teacher making 20- 30K a year.. Positions in central office as a director, principal, assistant principal require teaching experience and advanced degrees. So now, we are talking of people who have spent years in the classroom, have a masters or PhD and have volunteered countless hours as coaches, lead teachers, program coordinators, etc....

Yet, Charlotte being the newest financial hub... we don't second guess salaries of bank executives making upwards of a million dollars a year. One poster brought up the governors salary. Well, yes we are all in agreeance public service and state employees are underpaid... But the governor, has a 4 year stretch and often has businesses or his/her former career going on the side. He/she isn't living off that income alone. With the amount of hours an educator commits to his/her profession, it is unlikely they are able to have another form of income at least providing the majority of their living expenses. In addition to an educators responsibilities there is a portion of their salary that they are paying out of their own pocket to provide materials, and necessities for their students that the state does not provide. No other profession requires this sacrifice. Here is a joke/fact my elementary school teacher friends used to say..... An elementary school teacher is the only profession where his/her lunch break is dependent on the weather. (If it is increment weather and the students can't go outside for recess they stay in the classroom... when does that teacher get to leave for lunch or bathroom... etc...) Something most employees in another field would never consider or be aware of as a problem.... Again another perspective.....

A school administrator does not have the luxuries of a coorporate CEO having multiple departments to take care of budget, HR, legal, marketing, community relations, etc.... they do it on their own with the help of underpaid salary based teachers voluntering as committee heads... Educator salaries are based on years of experience and degrees and credits beyond the Bachelor level. Those salaries posted 100K+ are towards the end of the individual's career not the beginning.

Could not have said it any better myself.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,289,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramca View Post

... we don't second guess salaries of bank executives making upwards of a million dollars a year. .....
Yes we do. Especially when they are running businesses that are soaking the tax payers for a fortune. However that straw man argument is irrelevant to what administrators are getting paid in CMS. Your post sounds as if it is coming from someone in general since it doesn't speak specifically about CMS, but most of what you said does not apply to that school system.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:55 PM

123 posts, read 218,033 times
I would normally say mid-40's for a teachers pay is low, but from what I have witnessed this year, it is way too much for my grandchild's teacher at Hawkridge Elementary. She's definitely in it for the money, not because she enjoys her job. I've lived in several states, and have dealt with many teachers, none as incompetent and uncaring as this woman. She may be bitter because she does not make alot of money, but she needs to realize she is setting an example for these children. It is not the child's problem she chose a career that does not pay well.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-25-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I have less problem with Gorman's salary and the salary of the principals as I do the sheer number of administrators. I think 100K is a reasonable salary for someone in charge of managing as large an organization as a school. But I think there is a lot of fat at the central office that could be cut.
This is very true. Too much money is spent on the managers and principals etc. I cant understand that even though the number of school buses has risen only about 30 % in the past 10 years the number of transportation directors and managers has risen about 500%. I wonder what gorman the genius would have to say about that....We will never know because the rule at CMS is to only talk about what they want to talk about.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
All state employees' salaries are open to the public; the point of this thread would be.....?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Carmen11, That is a serious security problem. Tell your story to the school principal, tell it to the school board, and tell it to the police. I would be willing to bet money that they would have YOU arrested for violating procedures by not stopping in at the office and signing in, and removing a child from school without properly signing the child out, not to mention you probably need something in writing, maybe even a letter on file in the office to remove your grandchild.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
mod note

Lets try not not to derail the thread from the OP
if you have other issues create your own thread.

now back to topic

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte