U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,126,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeJunke23 View Post
It took me a long time to make noticeable progress and then my back started hurting. And the fact that I kept hitting large chunks of rocks wasn't helping either. The soil was just too horrible to grow anything in. I just wanted to extend the flower bed, dig up the bad dirt/soil, and put healthy soil in there to give the plants a better chance of surviving. Now this jack**# brings a machine gun to a knife fight
I know it's too late now, but all you really needed to do was remove the sod and just throw some top soil down on top of the wonderful clay that we have here. Not much need to dig it all up.

What have you decided to do? Have you been able to work anything else out with the guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 AM

564 posts, read 1,255,107 times
Nike,
Go to Lowes and buy a tiller for 300.00 bucks, Till it up mix in some good topsoil, Go to super sod and replace the sod the Bobcat chewed. (that will not cost to much) Then sell the tiller on craigslist if you never need it again. Then chalk it up to lesson learned have a beer and enjoy your yard.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM

983 posts, read 2,176,557 times
You can rent the Tiller for a day for less than $50, no need to buy if you won't be using it all the time.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,433,910 times
I agree that a Bobcat is overkill, but I notice this kind of stuff a lot lately. People will bring out equipment that is suited for much larger jobs in the name of getting it done quickly. I hope you didn't pay this guy. If he does come demanding payment, respond with a clearly written bill for the damages he caused. That should shut him up.

You really should have done the work yourself, because no one will do it exactly the way you want it done and you cannot beat the satisfaction of a job well-done, that you did yourself. Sorry for your troubles. Hopefully the HOA won't crawl too far up your rear end over this. Heck, if they do, tell him he had the wrong address and just went to work. It might work.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM

23 posts, read 48,905 times
It'll be back to normal on wednesday. I'm just going to come out of pocket and pay for the damages by hiring a professional to repair the yard. I can't let this get to me, because I now know exactly where to find him at the place he sleeps. The least I can do is take him to court and have him reimburse me for the cost of repairs

Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,469,751 times
That's such a shame.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM

8 posts, read 8,003 times
NikeJunke23 ~ Stuff like this can drive you mad..but you need to just cut your losses and learn from your mistake. Give the guy $100 and tell him to get the Bobcat off your lawn or you will call a tow truck and have it removed. Don't think about it too much..It will grow back eventually.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 PM

23 posts, read 48,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krickkin View Post
NikeJunke23 ~ Stuff like this can drive you mad..but you need to just cut your losses and learn from your mistake. Give the guy $100 and tell him to get the Bobcat off your lawn or you will call a tow truck and have it removed. Don't think about it too much..It will grow back eventually.

He came to "finish" the job saturday morning while it was still wet. I told him it wasn't a good idea and he told me...
"This is how it's gonna go, you pay me my money and let me finish the job, or I'm packing my equipment and leave"

I just told him he had 3 minutes to get off my property and that was the end of that.

The fact that he insisted to be paid after creating that mess was totally ridiculous...actually insulting. I'm going after him one way or another.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,382,235 times
FYI, next time you want to dig like that, call 811 to mark the utilities that run under your lawn. It's probably a miracle that this guy didn't break the sewer cleanout that I see in the former flower bed.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,474,162 times
Sucks that this happened...but when you hire someone off of something like Craigslist that is just some guy and not a reputable, licensed, boned & insured professional...that's a risk you take. Sometimes the person offering to do the job the cheapest isn't the best selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte