U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM

515 posts, read 905,846 times

Advertisements

This could happen ANYWHERE to ANYONE!...I disagree, there seems to be a well defined segment of society who predominate this sort of thing...and for some reason the greater society seems to tolerate this and allow it to continue....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,127,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
This could happen ANYWHERE to ANYONE!...I disagree, there seems to be a well defined segment of society who predominate this sort of thing...and for some reason the greater society seems to tolerate this and allow it to continue....
Yup. My point exactly. Enough of the PC bs - this behavior needs to be recognized as unacceptable.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 PM

72 posts, read 67,286 times
Oh give me a break! Monkey boy and coastalgirl, please show me where anyone (or "general society" according to monkey boy) has tolerated murder or deemed it socially acceptable? If that was truly the case then Chauncey never would have been turned in, as it was obviously done by people that he knew.

Coastalgirl - for you to claim that the black coomunity doesn't have any positive role models only shows that you have very limited knowledge of said community. Our community expands much further and encompasses more demographics than the people you see on the evening news. We do have positive role models, both male and female. However, a community can have as many positive role models as they like, that's not going to stop some individuals from making bad decisions. People from every ethnicity and all walks of life make horrible decisions. Human beings are strange that way, making their own choices and all. We all know at least one person who seemed to have every advantage possible, but for some reason they still made dumb choices and screwed up their lives or caused harm to others. The individual makes the choice to do right or wrong. The key word here is INDIVIDUAL.

But the difference is it seems like whenever a black person does something idiotic or deplorable, some people jump at the chance to try to paint the entire community with one broad negative brush. You know how "they" are. That nonsense doesn't hold water with anyone who knows better. Please educate yourself (beyond what you see on the news) before you start spouting nonsense about what the black community lacks. This kind of ignorance irritates me to no end. And it has nothing to do with being "pc". It's about separating truth from fiction.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,127,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
Oh give me a break! Monkey boy and coastalgirl, please show me where anyone (or "general society" according to monkey boy) has tolerated murder or deemed it socially acceptable? If that was truly the case then Chauncey never would have been turned in, as it was obviously done by people that he knew.
You obviously didn't read the articles, visit his Facebook or MySpace pages, or see his family on the news. His society deems it acceptable. His own mother, who turned him in, like you pointed out, says she doesn't believe he did it. There are so many things I want to say, but I do like being able to comment on this forum, so I'll just leave it with what I said before - the time for being PC is past. People need to step up and correct what is going on. It's not just about murder, but a whole lifestyle and mentality that dishonors everyone who worked for civil rights. Feel free to DM if you want to discuss it further!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You obviously didn't read the articles, visit his Facebook or MySpace pages, or see his family on the news. His society deems it acceptable. His own mother, who turned him in, like you pointed out, says she doesn't believe he did it. There are so many things I want to say, but I do like being able to comment on this forum, so I'll just leave it with what I said before - the time for being PC is past. People need to step up and correct what is going on. It's not just about murder, but a whole lifestyle and mentality that dishonors everyone who worked for civil rights. Feel free to DM if you want to discuss it further!
I guess my last post wasn't PC enough, so it got removed, but crime isn't restricted to a certain segment of society. This is an individual case, there are sick and deranged people that are not only located in ghettos but trailor parks, suburbs, etc. Don't kid yourself, police and others already profile black youth.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM

249 posts, read 425,691 times
Don't be a victim. Arm yourself and protect your life.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,018,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You obviously didn't read the articles, visit his Facebook or MySpace pages, or see his family on the news. His society deems it acceptable. His own mother, who turned him in, like you pointed out, says she doesn't believe he did it.
Do you have a link to an article that quotes her saying this?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Do you have a link to an article that quotes her saying this?

But she doesn't believe her son would intentionally kill anyone, she said. Chauncey Sterling never carried a gun or knife, his mother said. She described him as a caring father and loving son, who'd won trophies during youth football.[LEFT]
Read more: Chief: Teen murder suspect was on prowl for robbery | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/26/2249419/chief-teen-was-on-prowl-for-robbery.html#ixzz1KpR4yH44 - broken link)
[/LEFT]

Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM

716 posts, read 1,357,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
But she doesn't believe her son would intentionally kill anyone, she said. Chauncey Sterling never carried a gun or knife, his mother said. She described him as a caring father and loving son, who'd won trophies during youth football.[LEFT]
Read more: Chief: Teen murder suspect was on prowl for robbery | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/26/2249419/chief-teen-was-on-prowl-for-robbery.html#ixzz1KpR4yH44 - broken link)
[/LEFT]

""His mother knew he was struggling and grew more worried over the weekend when she saw her son reading the Bible.""

His mother was worried just because he was reading the bible?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
""His mother knew he was struggling and grew more worried over the weekend when she saw her son reading the Bible.""

His mother was worried just because he was reading the bible?

Why do you want to take things out of context and make this horrible situation worse than it already is? Why add more judgment - against someone you've never met and do not know - into the mix? Have some compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or