U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
^ Please disregard previous post. I saw the news reporting the victim as 64 years old. What's with all the increased crime in the Charlotte area?
There are many theories...

one is that with the tough economic times this country has been in for going on 3 years people are getting more and more desparate, and in Charlotte the unemployment rate is still higher than the national average.

Still, that's no excuse, just an explanation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
And SE Charlotte has a high concentration of wealthy neighborhoods.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 AM

841 posts, read 1,237,575 times
Quote:
Has the victim been identified? What information is made of the victims age?

64-year-old Heathcare executive: Health care executive slain in S. Charlotte neighborhood | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/23/2243577/health-care-executive-slain-in.html - broken link)

Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,293,104 times
Lightbulb Hello Loves...'Tis The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are many theories...

one is that with the tough economic times this country has been in for going on 3 years people are getting more and more desparate, and in Charlotte the unemployment rate is still higher than the national average.

Still, that's no excuse, just an explanation
I just read mullman's initial post about this, and I closed my eyes and hung and shook my head at the insanity of it all...but I'll say this too---

I got p****d when I read the description of the suspect...not because I'm defending him in any way (as I like to say sometimes 'oh HELL no!'), but because I'm saying a silent prayer that this thread doesnt turn into yet another overheated 'black vs white' p****ng contest...

To be honest, and I'm being BRUTALLY honest here, I hope the CPD catches this punk, and he decides to draw down on them and gets lit up like Times Square on New Years Eve...he's black, I'M black, and yeah, I just wished that on him...Harsh words? Yes, but I am tired of all the negative attention being brought on Charlotte and other places like it, by people who seem to have no regard for human life...

May god bless and keep all members of that wonderful old gentleman's family, and a pox on ANYONE who wants to defend the son of a ***** who gunned him down...ENOUGH of this glorifying violence and those who want to act like gorillas and think that it's cool or OK

Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
I would be VERY surprised if this was a random crime. 10 a.m. on a Friday? Health care exec? No way this is a random robbery gone bad. I'm putting my money on this coming out as a hired hit. Either they guy owed someone money, or pissed someone off in his business. It's possible, I suppose, that it was a random hit, but none of the signs point to it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM

716 posts, read 1,357,832 times
Quote:
^ Please disregard previous post. I saw the news reporting the victim as 64 years old. What's with all the increased crime in the Charlotte area?

Things have gotten bad everywhere and will only continue to get worse in the coming weeks/months. No one has money and if they do its very little and its getting harder and harder to keep up with the rising gas and food prices. Commodity prices have skyrocketed lately and even silver on Good Friday spiked another buck to almost 48 dollars an ounce. Id say now is the time to get to know your neighbors and you should start making plans for when things take a turn for the worse.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 AM

716 posts, read 1,357,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I would be VERY surprised if this was a random crime. 10 a.m. on a Friday? Health care exec? No way this is a random robbery gone bad. I'm putting my money on this coming out as a hired hit. Either they guy owed someone money, or pissed someone off in his business. It's possible, I suppose, that it was a random hit, but none of the signs point to it.

Growing up in Los Angeles you would be surprised at the amount of random robberies gone bad.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I just read mullman's initial post about this, and I closed my eyes and hung and shook my head at the insanity of it all...but I'll say this too---

I got p****d when I read the description of the suspect...not because I'm defending him in any way (as I like to say sometimes 'oh HELL no!'), but because I'm saying a silent prayer that this thread doesnt turn into yet another overheated 'black vs white' p****ng contest...

To be honest, and I'm being BRUTALLY honest here, I hope the CPD catches this punk, and he decides to draw down on them and gets lit up like Times Square on New Years Eve...he's black, I'M black, and yeah, I just wished that on him...Harsh words? Yes, but I am tired of all the negative attention being brought on Charlotte and other places like it, by people who seem to have no regard for human life...

May god bless and keep all members of that wonderful old gentleman's family, and a pox on ANYONE who wants to defend the son of a ***** who gunned him down...ENOUGH of this glorifying violence and those who want to act like gorillas and think that it's cool or OK

Hello there my chivilrous Captain

Help me remember, which black comic was it that did a brilliant routine about holding their breath every time they heard news of a horrendous crime until the criminal was identified as someone other than a black person? While waiting for the suspect description they'd be repeating, "please don't be black, please don't be black". Eddie Murphy maybe?

It must be SO HARD to be black and know that some people will judge the type of individual you are by the actions of the low life that killed this innocent man, and commit other terrible crimes, just because he is black too

I applaud your ability to see the bigger picture and to be willing to call for the rightous punishment of a criminal regardless of where he came from and the fact he shares your skin color.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

lol, I think you've been watching too much tv my friend

This reeks of a robbery gone bad, plain and simple.

The scum probably thought a man that age would be an easy target, but when the victim balked or resisted he panicked and fired the gun.

He was just a bad guy wanna be who wanted what he wanted without having to work for it - a punk.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
lol, I think you've been watching too much tv my friend

This reeks of a robbery gone bad, plain and simple.

The scum probably thought a man that age would be an easy target, but when the victim balked or resisted he panicked and fired the gun.

He was just a bad guy wanna be who wanted what he wanted without having to work for it - a punk.
Eh. I believe it's you who've been watching too much TV. Random murders/robberies gone bad like this are so extremely rare, and they so rarely happen at this time of the day, in such a neighborhood, that there is most likely more to this story. Not saying it's not possible as a robbery gone bad, but there's most likely more to this and I haven't seen the police come out with any more information on whether or not it was a robbery. I'm willing to entertain the notion, but I think we'll see something more come out. Some money owed, Someone fired, someone denied coverage, some personal issues, etc.

Despite all the news reports, our world is safer than it was 30 and 40 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or