U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 4,055,221 times

Advertisements

What academy?

Because I can't believe someone involved at the police academy would perpetaute the urban legend that random murders/car jackings etc are a part of some gang initiation.....

I agree. It sounds odd. But sometimes, it really is a random case of being in the right place at the wrong time. Very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well I'll ask around at the academy Tuesday night & see if I can get some more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,861,744 times
Good thing that they caught him.

It's sad that it's some 19yr old kid who took another man's life and threw his own away in the process for nothing.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:59 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,793,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
....Because I can't believe someone involved at the police academy would perpetaute the urban legend that random murders/car jackings etc are a part of some gang initiation.....

I agree. It sounds odd. But sometimes, it really is a random case of being in the right place at the wrong time. Very sad.
It has happened. A Bank of America exec, who was in town for some sort of training, was killed in front of the hotel he/she was staying at which I believe was the Hilton at University Place. This was in the very late 90s. It was later found this unfortunate person was picked out as a random shooting by gang members as part of an initiation of a new member. This gang lived in Hidden Valley and they all went to jail for it. The shooting took place in the daytime.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,921,612 times
Anyone else remember a shooting/murder 1 or 2 years ago in the same general area? Not too far from Carmel Country Club. As I recall... the victim was shot in his driveway which was fairly deep into the neighborhood, so speculation was that the shooter followed him home. I could not find any old stories about this crime and I don't remember if it was ever solved. Ring a bell with anyone?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Subject: Suspect Arrested in Mullens Ford Investigation
Date: April 25, 2011 7:08:23 AM EDT
To: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply-To: CMPD - Providence Division <govdelivery@cmpd.org>

Case Update: Monday, April 25, 2011 6:28 a.m.

The CMPD Homicide Unit developed information on Sunday, April 24, 2011, which led to the identification and arrest of Chauncey Sterling, DOB: 03/23/1993, for the murder and robbery of Mr. Barber. Once the Homicide Unit obtained warrants, the Violent Criminal Apprehension Team began working the case in an effort to quickly locate Mr. Sterling. Mr. Sterling was taken into custody at 10:05 p.m., on Sunday, April 24, 2011, at 285 Fargo Street, Rock Hill, SC. The Rock Hill Police Department and York County Sheriff’s Office assisted with the arrest of Mr. Sterling. Mr. Sterling is currently in South Carolina, awaiting extradition. Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit Detective. Detective Ladd is the lead detective assigned to the case. In addition, you may also call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

EXACTLY as I suspected and predicted

A punk...a low life baby punk at that -who pannicked when the victim stood up to him and did the cowardly thing of pulling the trigger.

I am relieved for Mr. Barber's family and the whole neighborhood that he was caught.

Caught in the same situation with a moment to live I too may have very well uttered or exclaimed "DAMN YOU" to the coward who shot me

Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,923,848 times
Chauncey Sterling | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/chaunceys1?sk=wall - broken link)

Just saw this linked in a news article. (if it is the same guy) And all he talks about is money money money.

So it fits the random stranger robbery but the old man stood up for himself and Chauncey was angry and shot him.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:49 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,793,930 times
If this is him, and the police arrested the right person, then it looks as if he succeeded in his life goal.

Chauncey Sterling | THUGGIN Photo Album on Myspace

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Anyone else remember a shooting/murder 1 or 2 years ago in the same general area? Not too far from Carmel Country Club. As I recall... the victim was shot in his driveway which was fairly deep into the neighborhood, so speculation was that the shooter followed him home. I could not find any old stories about this crime and I don't remember if it was ever solved. Ring a bell with anyone?

Not the same general area - out in the county, almost in Union County actually, off of Ardrey Kell.

It was not random though, the victim was targeted as a business owner.

Ballantyne Area Shooting: Here's the rest of the story

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,053,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Chauncey Sterling | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/chaunceys1?sk=wall - broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
What a real winner...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 AM

716 posts, read 1,360,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
If this is him, and the police arrested the right person, then it looks as if he succeeded in his life goal.

Chauncey Sterling | THUGGIN Photo Album on Myspace

Very interesting because 23 hours ago he got an in the spotlight badge from myspace:
Chauncey Sterling

just earned the In The Spotlight badge
In The Spotlight

Because your photos are earning quite a bit of attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or