U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,434,570 times

Advertisements

And here I was wondering if his potential cellmates are fantasizing about his pic in his profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM

8 posts, read 7,997 times
Sick Senseless Savage Sicko! My heart goes out to the family of the victim..terrible.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 PM

149 posts, read 293,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Glad he is in custody, but maybe the people who 'liked' his status posts (example below) should be investigated before they hurt someone.
The following was written just 5 days before he shot a man walking down a quiet residential street at ~10am.

Chauncey Sterling
u knw lately i been n dis zone like i dnt give a f**k n everything around me but i was built n made to complete a task dat is to get rich hustle or die b***h

Are Nyca Bu, Yasmine Nichols, or QueCee Jce just as dangerous?

Is the following a credible national threat, or just a 'harmless' rap lyric?

Chauncey Sterling
MONEY ON MY MIND ALL I SEE IZ DEAD PRESIDENTS DAT BULL **** U TALKIN MAN DAT **** JUST IRRELAVANT

I grew up on Sharonview just around the corner, and this whole situation makes me angry & sad at the same time.
So pointless.
This is an example why there should be a positive male role model in boys (Especially black and hispanic) lives. Unfortunately there aren't many at all leaving the mothers to raise them alone in low income housing with no guidance. So the boys are susceptible of this kind of behavior. How saddening.... This is not an excuse because there are many success stories of children who were raised in a single parent home. This was a senseless act. If he wanted to see Money, Then he should have been at McDonalds last week when they were doing massive hiring. SMH....

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 AM

1,731 posts, read 2,293,478 times
Lightbulb You Might Be Wrong Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
I firmly believe that if this "speech" and attitude continues to be shown as appealing to the mass public we are in for hard times. Pop culture has such a huge impact on the youth. I'm fairly young myself (26) but I feel as though I have reached that point where I can fully access what surrounds me.

Due to the political correctness of our culture, I do not see this changing. You simply can't criticize anybody in this culture and it is going to ruin this great country.

I can see the "Free Chauncey" rallies about a kid who didn't do anything to anybody. A young kid who really tried hard to do the right thing but made one mistake. A young kid who wasn't given a fair hand.

When will the excuses stop? Why can't we just call it how we see it with being reasonable and polite?

Any person who did not see this initially as a robbery gone wrong has their head in the sand. Based on what we see and hear every single day, a reasonable person would have an inkling of what occurred. I don't think we should assume that's what happened initially, but say it was the most likely of all possibilities. I don't see how you could argue that.
First of all, 'free Chauncey', my old cranky a**...he shot and murdered another human being...the only 'free' involved here should be the free unis and meals he gets in the joint, courtesy of the state of NC...and I'll be one of the first to call BS, should ANYONE try to defend him---and I'm as black as he is...

Quiet as it's kept, black folk don't think with one planetary brain, and support people like this guy as they needlessly take human lives...we are just as angry and disguted as everybody else, but you never hear or see that anger displayed...instead you get just about what you described---some silly 'Free Chauncey' rally that gets huge media coverage...go figure

Secondly, to address 'why can't we just call it like we see it without being polite and reasonable?'...young sir, you possess that right every day in this 'great country', political correctness be hanged...I know I will damn sure speak my mind, in a hummingbird heartbeat...don't believe me? Ask LovesMountains, who's one of my favorite posters and people here at C-D...she will tell you, one thing I DON'T do is bite my tongue (LOL...you can ask the mods who've had to rap my knuckles for straying too close to the edge now and then)

Let's dig a little deeper though...you say 'you simply can't criticize anyone in this culture'...I say 'horse-hockey'...just pick up a daily newspaper, or turn on any radio or tv talk show...criticisms of any and everything fly fast and furious 24-7...I think what you want to do is take the gloves off and be able to say what you REALLY feel, and nobody here or offline is denying you that privilege...

But know then that, once you DO level your criticisms and opinions, that you should prepare yourself for backlash from those that don't agree with you, whether they are members of the group that arouses your passion, or not...I know what you're thinking---you want to be able to say 'bleep blacks...bleep gays...bleep left-handed red-haired Red Sox fans...bleep anybody who doesn't like Notre Dame...etc'---and do it without comment from the other side...

Not gonna happen...you are witnessing a basic law of physics at work here...'for every action (you expressing yourself unchecked) there is an equal and opposite reaction (people basically saying 'bleep you' and 'who do you think you are!' in return)'...bottom line is this---you live in the United States Of America, not Libya, Yemen, Syria, or even Ookabolaponga, and as such, have a right to your opinion, and several forums to express it...I personally would go to the floor of Congress, and battle for your right to speak...but know that your opinion (and mine for that matter) isn't the ONLY one, nor is it always the RIGHT one...but again, there are those who don't or won't agree with you, and the way things work here, they have the same rights as you do to express themselves...that's just the way it is

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,129,494 times
This kid really had nothing going for him. This article says he dropped out of NINTH grade in February (he is 18) and confirmed that he does have two baby daughters. His mom turned him in. What a tragic waste, for all involved.

Chief: Teen murder suspect was on prowl for robbery | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/26/2249419/chief-teen-was-on-prowl-for-robbery.html - broken link)

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
.... But why are people looking through his facebook or myspace whatever ?? This is starting to sound like bystanders watching a car wreck. I waste a lot of time online, but have no desire to waste my time looking at that type of stuff.

I just do not get it.
Because people are voyeurs and at the top of the list of things that attract this behavior are the people who commit an "unacceptable" murder. This murder is unacceptable because it happened to a white man walking in one of Charlotte's prestigious neighborhoods. If he had been say a homeless guy begging on the street in uptown, or a black man killed on the west side, it would have hardly gotten a mention in the news.

Another item at the top of this list are the ones who watch the other's voyeuristic behavior, criticize them for it, then indirectly deny they have the same issue.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Because people are voyeurs and at the top of the list of things that attract this behavior are the people who commit an "unacceptable" murder. This murder is unacceptable because it happened to a white man walking in one of Charlotte's prestigious neighborhoods. If he had been say a homeless guy begging on the street in uptown, or a black man killed on the west side, it would have hardly gotten a mention in the news.

Another item at the top of this list are the ones who watch the other's voyeuristic behavior, criticize them for it, then indirectly deny they have the same issue.
Do you really think that this murder, in particular, was "unacceptable" b/c the victim was white and killed in an upscale neighborhood - or were you being rhetorical and I just missed it.

Are you saying that you believe most folks espouse that murder, in general, is acceptable as long as the down-trodden, disenfranchised, or criminal are the targets of violence?

Surely you cannot be that cynical.

People seek out information on the criminal b/c they are trying to comprehend why someone would so easily, shamelessly kill another human being.

Most folks DO question why ANYONE would kill another person - especially knowing that murderers can face the death penalty. It is puzzling and people want it to make sense.

I don't find it odd at all for folks to want to know what a killer is "all about." What I do object to is labeling this act as a "random act of violence." This was not random. It was quite purposeful. This kid went out w/ a gun with the express purpose of accosting and robbing another human being. Doing so while flashing a gun is, without question, an indication that the perp was willing to engage in violence in order to obtain some cash.

This kid knew he was in proximity to folks who "have money," so he went hunting as surely as a deer hunter seeks out the best spot to kill his prey. He obviously knows nothing of the habits of people who actually do earn a substantial living, as robbing someone w/ an upper salary demographic is essentially a losing proposition - as the well-heeled rarely carry much cash, preferring credit cards to track expenses.

Ironically, if this kid had demonstrated real need for assistance to any of the various agencies or churches who are available to help w/ education, utility bills, housing, food and clothing . . . the money/help he would have received would have most likely included contributions from folks who live in the very neighborhood where Mr. Barber was killed.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:

I gotta disagree.

I was personally just as disturbed about the guy taking out his trash in 3rd Ward who was murdered 3 weeks ago - and I don't even know what race he was. Murders of innocent people just going about their daily lives are EXTREMELY upsetting and frankly make me furious

We struggle to understand the how's and why's when senseless things like this happen.

So we want to know about the cowards who commit such acts - we want to understand WHAT made them the thugs they are. For it is in the understanding that there arises potential to prevent future types of acts.

Like I said last night, this kid has lived up to every single stereotype so far of the young, black thug - no involved father, high school drop out, not one but TWO baby mamma's, a rap sheet, into violence ect. The more we learn about him the more disturbing the story gets.

All of that should be a huge wake up call for anyone who knew this young man or had contact with him, a huge wakeup call for the black community in general. For when it comes right down to it, this is a problem best solved by having as many good black men as possible involved. And by as many good, stable successful black woman as possible mentoring single black moms.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,785,813 times
I was answering the question on why people were looking, and analyzing, his personal life as depicted on facebook and myspace. I didn't exclude myself on this either. As an other example of this, look at how the nation went crazy with the OJ murder.

It doesn't mean that people can't have remorse of any of the other things pointed out.

On my other point, our society considers this an "unacceptable" murder in the sense that it breaks their vision of reality. Unfortunately our society does not treat people fairly nor equally. This is why there is media attention, why the chief of police decided to do a press conference, and why we have a 10 page topic on here. Certainly the more typical murder, the "acceptable" murders, don't get the same attention.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,446 times
Quote:
Of course people are a lot more concerned about a murder if it happens very close to them, and less concerned about murders that happen far away. The further away a murder is, the less I am personally scared about it.

I would expect most people would be more scared about murders close to them than about murders far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or