U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:01 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,055,476 times

Advertisements

Story @ WCNC

Story @ WBTV

The senselessness of this crime is shocking.
Victim was walking back to his home in Governor's Square @ ~10am after having coffee at Caribou Coffee in Foxcroft Village.
This street backs up to Charlotte Country Day School.

Be vigilant, and exercise your right to concealed carry.

Providence CMPD email blast below.
-=-=-=-
Date: April 22, 2011 6:24:58 PM EDT
To: XXXXXXXX
Subject: Ongoing Homicide Investigation
Reply-To: CMPD - Providence Division <govdelivery@cmpd.org>

Everyone,

In an effort to keep you all updated as quickly as possible, we are sending out the following information pertaining to the ongoing homicide investigation that occurred on Mullens Ford rd. earlier today.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Homicide Detective are conducting a homicide investigation at 4500 block of Mullens Ford Road. The call for service came in at 10:20 a.m., on Friday, April 22, 2011. The deceased has yet to be positively identified; once he has been identified and his family notified of his death, his name will be released.

Providence Division officers responded to an ADW call for service. When officers arrived on scene, they located a victim suffering from an apparent gunshot wound; he was pronounced on scene by Medic.

This investigation is in its initial stages; detectives are canvassing the neighborhood speaking with any residents who may have any information that will aid the investigation. Witnesses will be transported to police headquarters for questioning.

The suspect has been described as black male, between 20-30 years of age, 5’6, last seen wearing blue jeans and a light colored shirt.

CMPD’s Canine and Aviation Units are on scene assisting with the investigation.

Crime Scene Search is photographing and collecting physical evidence.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit Detective. Detective Ladd is the lead detective assigned to the case. In addition, you may also call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

The victim has been positively identified as Robert Latimer Barber, DOB 07/14/1946. The victim’s family has been notified. The victim was walking home from a near by business at the time of the incident.

Updated description of the suspect:

B/M, dark complexion, short hair cut, tall and skinny, approximately 6’2”.

Wearing dark pants and a white and black plaid shirt or jacket

Last seen running on Mullens Ford Road towards Simsbury Road.

-=-=-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:09 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Mullman, this vicious crime makes me furious.

I hope we hear very shortly that CMPD has caught the cold blooded killer.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 AM

359 posts, read 504,750 times
So many comments I want to make...

I wish the best to the family/friends of the victim

Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 AM

716 posts, read 1,360,691 times
This is the kind of stuff we seen out in Cali. They are saying it was an apparent robbery but I am wondering if it could also be gang related?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,795,053 times
I used to live in that neighborhood. It's a shame this sort of thing goes on there now.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
This is the kind of stuff we seen out in Cali. They are saying it was an apparent robbery but I am wondering if it could also be gang related?
I'm betting it was just a random crime of opportunity.

The little bast#rd saw an older gentleman walking along without anyone else around and thought he was an easy mark to rob for his wallet.

Doesn't it make sense that if you are going to rob someone you'd want to go to the nicer side of town for a bigger "payoff"?

Makes me sick to my stomach. And to have happened on Good Friday of all days

Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM

149 posts, read 293,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm betting it was just a random crime of opportunity.

The little bast#rd saw an older gentleman walking along without anyone else around and thought he was an easy mark to rob for his wallet.

Doesn't it make sense that if you are going to rob someone you'd want to go to the nicer side of town for a bigger "payoff"?

Makes me sick to my stomach. And to have happened on Good Friday of all days
Has the victim been identified? What information is made of the victims age?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,481,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And to have happened on Good Friday of all days
THat's what struck me the most as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
Yes, he was identified as a man in his 60's who was in upper management at Carolinas Healthcare.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/23/2243577/health-care-executive-slain-in.html (broken link)

Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 AM

149 posts, read 293,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
^ Please disregard previous post. I saw the news reporting the victim as 64 years old. What's with all the increased crime in the Charlotte area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or