Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 PM

25 posts, read 40,898 times

Advertisements

I have been reading alot of posts and some say Monroe is good place to live and others recommend other places. My husband has a job offer near the airport in Monroe and we are going there this weekend to look at the area. I have two kids, one in elementary and the other in jr high. I would like a good school which I have been looking into the great schools website. I would like to rent at first but look into buying down the road. My brother in law lives near Mt. Pleasant and he loves it there but I feel that there is a little more job growth for me near Charlotte. I have had many years experience in manufacturing and customer service. Thanks to all that reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Big difference in Monroe and Mt. Pleasant.

In my opinion, Mt. Pleasant is really just a small bedroom community for folks that work in Concord, Salisbury, Charlotte, etc.....Monroe is a stand-on-its-own city.

I think it's a great place to live though I'd probably lean towards Indian Trail rather than Monroe proper. That said, virtually everything north of Monroe and outside of other small towns is considered a Monroe address. Union County is a great place to call home and your housing opportunities are virtually limitless. Good luck. I think you'll like what you find.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Thank you for the response. Is there alot of rentals in Indian Trail? I have to sell the house and wait for the kids to get out of school before I join him. Is there any certain area that is the best? How are the taxes and how do subdivisions work?

Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 AM
tmf

14 posts, read 25,626 times
I second the Indian Trail. We were in the same position as we looked at Monroe and IT. We settled on a rental In Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail. I am heading down next week and the family will follow after school is over here in NY

Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroemaybe View Post
Thank you for the response. Is there alot of rentals in Indian Trail? I have to sell the house and wait for the kids to get out of school before I join him. Is there any certain area that is the best? How are the taxes and how do subdivisions work?
Yes, there should be rentals available in Indian Trail. I'm not sure what the inventory looks like right now though.

I would say basically all of Indian Trail is quite desirable though there may be some less than desirable places on side streets/back roads. A lot of the home in Indian Trail (maybe even most) were built in the last 10-15 years and I'd think virtually anything within a mile or two of Sun Valley High would be pleasant.

Taxes are reasonable though not "low" as some would have you think. They also aren't "high". If you're renting, it's not really an issue, is it?

I don't really understand your question about how subdivisions "work", you'll have to clarify that.

Good luck, it's a great area to call home.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
A friend has lived in Monroe, close to downtown, for the past 8 years, and has raised her kids there, from the time her youngest was 9 - they really love it! Her kids went to Monroe High, and had really good experiences there. She said what impressed her most was how accepting the majority of students were. She was concerned about living in a "smaller" town, but at Monroe High, the races mix & socialize together, gay kids aren't excluded, etc. It's a much smaller school than Sun Valley.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:29 PM

My main question is how are the fees in a subdivision? I don't have any, where I live. It sounds like there are restrictions. There are really reasonable prices on homes that are in a subdivision. I would start by renting so that I could get a feel for the area but I would like to own down the road. South Carolina taxes are cheaper but by time you pay for gas and the time it takes you to travel, would it still be worth it?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroemaybe View Post
My main question is how are the fees in a subdivision? I don't have any, where I live. It sounds like there are restrictions. There are really reasonable prices on homes that are in a subdivision. I would start by renting so that I could get a feel for the area but I would like to own down the road. South Carolina taxes are cheaper but by time you pay for gas and the time it takes you to travel, would it still be worth it?
Again, renting won't expose you to HOA fees. Property Owners pay those. I'd find a home that works and shop for the neighborhood that makes sense once you get here.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 PM

Thank you that's the best way to do it. I'm just hoping to find somewhere without a long lease.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 AM

21 posts, read 41,653 times
You'll end up liking it. Small town. I grew up near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte