U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM

97 posts, read 224,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
blah blah blah
The development of 485 may not have been on "condition" or "promise" from the City of Charlotte but it was a goal of 485 to minimize the number of exits created on 485 thus minimizing development on that beltway around the city. If this beltway would have been successful in doing that, this "congestion" spoken of probably wouldn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_bancho View Post
hmmm ... so NO chances of road expansions until next 10 years?. Thats no good!!!. A city should have great infrastructure to compete with other cities... and I think Charlotte has greater potential to attract business if planned properly.
What did you expect? 485 around Pineville has been congested long before the majority of the entire beltway was completed. Wasn't it expanded BEFORE the remaining sections of the beltway was completed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:03 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_bancho View Post
hmmm ... so NO chances of road expansions until next 10 years?. Thats no good!!!. A city should have great infrastructure to compete with other cities... and I think Charlotte has greater potential to attract business if planned properly.
NCDOT has 192 projects listed for Mecklenburg County. NCDOT: Home

When you drive to Lake Lure, enjoy the traffic mess that you'll be sitting in in Shelby. One of the defunded projects was to widen the bypass & another was to build another bypass, since the current one is clogged every day.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,995,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHaugens View Post
The development of 485 may not have been on "condition" or "promise" from the City of Charlotte but it was a goal of 485 to minimize the number of exits created on 485 thus minimizing development on that beltway around the city. If this beltway would have been successful in doing that, this "congestion" spoken of probably wouldn't exist.
if you don't think limiting development was a "promise from the City" then you agree with me. and all my blah, blah, blah.

I live in an urban neighborhood. My favorite car is a Surly.

Last edited by Native_Son; 04-24-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 01:10 AM

159 posts, read 286,648 times
I don't know where some of y'all got the info on the I-485 widening, but construction on the additional lanes is supposed to start next year, and it does not take almost a whole decade to widen 5 miles of I-485 in South Charlotte.

Rucho: Widening of I-485 outerloop is accelerated | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/13/2057420/widening-of-i-485-outerloop-accelerated.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,787,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
1. I reread your post. And I still think it's misleading. 2. It seems plausible that the City and or County may have provided some projections about development in the design stages of this project (mid to late 80s) but I work in land development and have never heard of Charlotte putting "promise" limits on development numbers. ....
It's how it is done. The NCDOT expects local municipalities provide planning numbers for traffic designs. The numbers are often challenged especially when federal dollars are involved as they are in the case of I-485, so they have to provide a set of criteria which were used to generate the numbers. Don't do this, and the feds say, no money. period. If you are interested, it's fairly simply to lookup how it works. It's the very reason that no further train lines are being built in Charlotte. Similar process.
Quote:
And how would the city limit development?
It's called zoning. That land was zoned for farming. They don't have to change the zoning to allow for residential development. The two families that developed Southpark inherited the land that is now Ballentine, once farmland, and lobbied to get the zoning changed against the land development plans. Happens all the time in this city. Furthermore, after the debacle of that portion of I-485 became apparent, the city has successfully used the zoning tool to keep development away from the remaining sections.
Quote:
3. Touche'. and back at ya'.
I recommend you take the advice that I gave the first party. This stuff shouldn't be too difficult to understand. However if you have something, other than personal anecdote that would indicate that something different happened down there, I would be interested in seeing it.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,787,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle704 View Post
I don't know where some of y'all got the info on the I-485 widening, but construction on the additional lanes is supposed to start next year, and it does not take almost a whole decade to widen 5 miles of I-485 in South Charlotte. Rucho: Widening of I-485 outerloop is accelerated | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/02/13/2057420/widening-of-i-485-outerloop-accelerated.html - broken link)
This article does not say construction begins. It says "work" begins. I believe this might just be the feasibility study where they determine how much it will cost.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,995,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
However if you have something, other than personal anecdote that would indicate that something different happened down there, I would be interested in seeing it.
I ask the same thing of you... after all, you're the one sending the accusations flying.

But I'll play your game, 'cause I'm certain you cannot. Here are some excerpts from a letter Sue Myrick wrote to the Governor about 485 problems. You can see that she clearly lays the blame for the fiasco where it belongs: IN RALEIGH and with the DOT. You won't find anything about broken promises with the City, no matter how hard you search... 'cause it doesn't exist.

Excerpt from 2007 letter:

Why are we delaying the completion of 1-485 in Charlotte again?

I read in The Charlotte Observer how rising prices of materials are
leading to the delay. Why didn't these same rising costs delay the
loops in Fayetteville and Wilmington?

Why are we building loops in Fayetteville and Wilmington before we
complete the one in Charlotte?

We were working on the one in Charlotte back when I was mayor. That
was 20 years ago!

... Last I looked Charlotte was the largest city in the state. There
seems to be no recognition of that fact in Raleigh. No recognition
that we are at a standstill with traffic. No recognition that we have
a traffic problem.

Nor is there any recognition of the fact that the state DOT utterly
botched up the southern leg of our yet to be completed loop by only
putting in two lanes where there should have been four. So not only is
the loop not complete, what is complete is already backlogged. When we
called on you to fix that, you delayed that, too. It's still not
fixed!

If you want to read the entire letter, you can find it archived here:
Rep. Sue Myrick's letter to Gov. Mike Easley and Sect. Lyndo Tippett on I-485 delays published in the Charlotte Observer

Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,698,111 times
We need to figure a way to make the day workers from South Carolina who use the road pay something...They want to use the road but do not want to pay a dime for it. Maybe a toll road would be good. We need them here

Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,415,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle704 View Post
I don't know where some of y'all got the info on the I-485 widening, but construction on the additional lanes is supposed to start next year, and it does not take almost a whole decade to widen 5 miles of I-485 in South Charlotte.

You must be new to North Carolina.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 44,084 times
Local stretch of I-485 gets poor rating | South Charlotte Weekly

read above article.. .. interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or