U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 2,785,504 times
Reputation: 549

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I ask the same thing of you... after all, you're the one sending the accusations flying
I have not made any "accusations". I am explaining how the process works, this part you have not denied. Myrick's pontifications, along with her diatribes on illegal aliens, terrorists, attacks on Gays & Lesbians, the Muslim Mafia etc. don't interest me and the letter you posted is her opinion, not fact. She is an expert at getting the obvious wrong. It should be noted she was a member of the city council and later Mayor of Charlotte at the time all that development was approved. She neglected to put that part in her letter, not did she cite any examples of how they "screwed up". However I certainly don't deny that now, local politicians and the councils blame that mess on the NCDOT, but the fact remains, they approved all that re-zoning down there AFTER the road was designed at a thru corridor using numbers and promised they provided.

These events took place 25 years ago so there isn't much on-line about it now. If you think the NCDOT deliberitly under designed that portion of the highway you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there is no evidence to support this notion, and every evidence to support what I posted above. You can simply lookup how funds are allocated for federal highway funding. They require detailed traffic models and studies backed up by a set of development assumptions. And the assumptions they used were for no growth to be allowed around that part of the road. If you want further proof of this, look where the sound walls have been placed on I-485. The state will only pay for putting up sound walls to cover development that existed when the plans were approved.

BTW, if you think Raleigh gets off easy on traffic congestion, then think again. They have it worse than Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
 
3,774 posts, read 6,989,864 times
Reputation: 4402
accusation |ˌakyəˈzā sh ən; ˌakyoō-|
noun
a charge or claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong :


Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I have not made any "accusations".
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
the problem with congestion in that area is not the fault of the state. The NCDOT state built that road with the promises from the Charlotte/Mecklenburg government that development would be kept to a minimum... soon after construction started, the city/county broke that promise and let Ballantine be built along with other endless development down there. ... Because of this, the state doesn't feel a need to put this at high priority.
in my book that's an accusation. You've accused the city/county of breaking some "promise". A "promise" that, conveniently enough for your argument, is not documented anywhere on this wide web owing to the fact that it was 25 years ago. fair enough. forgive me for being skeptical... I've NEVER heard of a city putting limits on it's own growth. I could post a hundred articles laying the blame for 485 at the feet of the NCDOT... you can post nothing to back up your claim.

I've HAVE heard of the state or federal government (via DENR and EPA) put moratoriums on certain types of infrastructure like sewerage... but I've never heard of a Piedmont city the size of Charlotte (or Raleigh, or Durham, or Greensboro) putting restrictions on development to ease congestion. Having been around the business for quite a while I find the concept wholly alien.

I've never heard of a policy promise...

http://www.weddingpink.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/promise-ring-male-7.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 PM
 
23 posts, read 44,073 times
Reputation: 11
We are worried about Charlotte,its infrastructure and its ability to turn in to major metro...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-25-2011 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: orphan- the referring post deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Reputation: 14917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_bancho View Post
We are worried about Charlotte,its infrastructure and its ability to turn in to major metro...
its not up to Charlotte its in Raliegh hands. The NCDOT builds the roads.

They need to finish the loop first

NCDOT: I-485 Charlotte Outer Loop
__________________
[B][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Im the moderator for
[/COLOR][/B][URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-carolina/"]North Carolina main forum[/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/greensboro-winston-salem-high-point/"]Triad [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 AM
 
23 posts, read 44,073 times
Reputation: 11
Friends,

Lets stop fighting with each other.

I don't see anything on I-485 at South Charlotte widening on NCDOT: High Profile Projects & Studies=*

insane..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_bancho View Post
Friends,

Lets stop fighting with each other.

I don't see anything on I-485 at South Charlotte widening on NCDOT: High Profile Projects & Studies=*

insane..
The road design, construction and plan implementation here in NC is convoluted. Folks are simply trying to explain that convoluted process.

I think we can all agree on categorizing the main arteries, most of the highways and some of the roads in the Charlotte metro as inadequate. I would add the adjective "woefully" to "inadequate," when it comes to particular stretches of 485, but that is just my opinion. Linking 485 to 85 at the Pineville exit was a godsend for those of us who travel that route . . . but then the nightmare begins when the road narrows to two lanes.

So the idea was good . . . the execution has been painfully slow . . . and the delay on completing (and widening) 485 is maddening (regardless of the reasons why).

I was a newspaper editor in the 80s and can assure you . . . no one expected Charlotte to have the sudden huge increase in migration from other states. At its peak, the Charlotte area was gaining over 70K people a year. Perhaps larger metros could absorb this growth with no problems, but Charlotte Mecklenberg obviously couldn't.

Charlotte's infrastructure improvement (and maintenance, for that matter) will take a lot of $$$ . . . which means tax increases and more equitable decisions from the General Assembly, led by a Governor who is vested western NC, something not likely to happen any time soon.

Yes, Rancho-bancho, it basically comes down to politics, and not poor planning w/in CharMeck offices, although I personally feel the planning was perhaps somewhat lacking in imagination and vision. However, who could have envisioned The Great Migration that occurred here?

I, for one, cannot fathom the reasons why a steady stream of newcomers continues to flow into the Charlotte region, especially with our economic challenges, certain tax hikes, infrastructure issues and jobless rate.

Folks cite low cost of housing and low taxes, mild weather, and Charlotte's proximity to "other areas" (i.e., the mountains and the beach) as being the main draw to this region. The taxes are going up . . . housing prices are a bargain in many metros across the nation . . . and the high humidity makes summers less than "mild" here . . . so maybe there is some other factor that continues to lure folks to Charlotte. It sure isn't the job market (overall) . . . and, as you have observed, it can't be our fabulous highways and by-ways, lol.

Last edited by brokensky; 04-26-2011 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM
 
23 posts, read 44,073 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks much. We migrated from Ohio. I feel Charlotte/ Raleigh-Durham has strong potential to compete with Silicon valley if properly planned.

Great Universities like Duke, UNC-chapel hill exist in state. I know job market is not that great in here... but for my family WEATHER is huge bonus....

So Governor has no interest in Charlotte at all??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,432,978 times
Reputation: 2781
Charlotte the next Silicon Valley? Oooook....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Reputation: 14917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Charlotte the next Silicon Valley? Oooook....
Maybe it from the demand of breast implants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 09:01 PM
 
23 posts, read 44,073 times
Reputation: 11
I'm NOT saying Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham to be next silicon valley..

I said .. 'has a potential to compete'.... meaning to certain extent NC can attract hitech companies if properly planned - just like what Austin,TX., Northern Virginia metro doing now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top