U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 AM

23 posts, read 25,158 times

Advertisements

I believe Charlotte is definitely suffering from congestion!!. Please do not compare Charlotte’s congestion with NY City or other large metro…

Anybody knows if county/state is planning to expand I-485 from south blvd to matthwes, Johnston road and other local roads? Can local residents pressurize county/state on this issue? What is the way to let Govt know about our problems?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:13 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,589,454 times
It is the NCDOT's responsibility to build highways in NC including I-485. The cities and counties are not allowed to. (this doesn't apply to subdivision streets & certain specific roads in Charlotte) The plan for that section of I-485 is to expand it to 6 lanes AFTER the segment between I-77N to I-85N is built. The state did not have the money to do both at the same time. You can try to pressure the state over this matter but it has already been subject to much deliberation over the last decade. The addition of the additional lane in each direction probably won't be completed until at least the end of the decade and maybe longer given the state's finances.

BTW, the problem with congestion in that area is not the fault of the state. The NCDOT state built that road with the promises from the Charlotte/Mecklenburg government that development would be kept to a minimum. The road was designed as a transit corridor between S. Charlotte and E. Independence Blvd so that thru traffic could bypass having to drive into the city. However not soon after construction started, the city/county broke that promise and let Ballantine be built along with other endless development down there. Now it's impassable at times. Because of this, the state doesn't feel a need to put this at high priority.

Last edited by yantosh22; 04-24-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 02:05 PM

13,172 posts, read 13,206,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho_bancho View Post
I believe Charlotte is definitely suffering from congestion!!. Please do not compare Charlotte’s congestion with NY City or other large metro…

Anybody knows if county/state is planning to expand I-485 from south blvd to matthwes, Johnston road and other local roads? Can local residents pressurize county/state on this issue? What is the way to let Govt know about our problems?.
NCDOT is in charge of that. The governor had NCDOT defund several projects in Cleveland County to fund finishing 485. So, wait for your turn on the rest.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,994,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post

BTW, the problem with congestion in that area is not the fault of the state. The NCDOT state built that road with the promises from the Charlotte/Mecklenburg government that development would be kept to a minimum. The road was designed as a transit corridor between S. Charlotte and E. Independence Blvd so that thru traffic could bypass having to drive into the city. However not soon after construction started, the city/county broke that promise and let Ballantine be built along with other endless development down there. Now it's impassable at times. Because of this, the state doesn't feel a need to put this at high priority.
false.

Limiting development was never a condition or a "promise". The notion of such is absurd.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,589,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
false.

Limiting development was never a condition or a "promise". The notion of such is absurd.
Son I recommend you re-read what I posted as you seem to not to have comprehended it at all. There is nothing in my post that said it was a "condition". As for "promise" the NCDOT has to design to a set of expectations on what the traffic was going to do there over the next several decades, and those specs were provided by the City and County whose numbers were based on the promise that development would not be allowed around that road. They broke that promise and the road was soon overwhelmed.

Try thinking about these things a bit before jumping to conclusions.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 PM

471 posts, read 573,686 times
Charlotte is the poster child for poor urban planning...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,994,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
1. Son I recommend you re-read what I posted as you seem to not to have comprehended it at all.

2. As for "promise" the NCDOT has to design to a set of expectations on what the traffic was going to do there over the next several decades, and those specs were provided by the City and County whose numbers were based on the promise that development would not be allowed around that road. They broke that promise and the road was soon overwhelmed.

3. Try thinking about these things a bit before jumping to conclusions.
1. I reread your post. And I still think it's misleading.

2. It seems plausible that the City and or County may have provided some projections about development in the design stages of this project (mid to late 80s) but I work in land development and have never heard of Charlotte putting "promise" limits on development numbers. Cities aren't run with promises. And no one would have expected the growth that this region experienced in the late 90s and early 2000s. Trying to pin this somehow on a local authority is disingenuous at best.

And how would the city limit development? Put restrictions on the use of private property? Development is NOT "done" by the city. It's financed, planned and constructed by private companies and individuals. A municipality simply has the ability to set rules (zoning, standards, etc), and if a developer can meet the rules they can build.

3. Touche'. and back at ya'.

The bottom line is simple. If you don't like the traffic, then move. Or wait. Makes no difference to me either way. But don't blame anyone other than yourself for moving somewhere where traffic makes you miserable.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM

23 posts, read 25,158 times
hmmm ... so NO chances of road expansions until next 10 years?. Thats no good!!!. A city should have great infrastructure to compete with other cities... and I think Charlotte has greater potential to attract business if planned properly.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM

670 posts, read 514,663 times
There's just not enough money to expand build those roads as quickly as people are pouring into that area.

It's not like the people who moved down there weren't already aware that 485 was only four-lanes in that area.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM

471 posts, read 573,686 times
When the issue the building permits they are supposed to consider the effect on the existing infrastructure and make the builder do improvements if required or just not issue the permit...that didn't happen. Couple that with the complete lack of secondary roads and this stupid vein-artery system and you get the mess we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte