U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
FNM FNM started this thread

15 posts, read 45,267 times

Advertisements

Hi there. We are a professional couple in our late 30's, looking to move to Charlotte next year after our son goes away to college. We currently live in Ft Lauderdale, FL. I am getting some great advice from this forum looking at different neighborhoods. We would like to be as close to uptown as possible, possibly buy a townhouse or a smaller home/bungalow. Our price range is approx. $300K. We really don't want to live in a "cookie cutter" suburb, but rather be close to shops, restaurants, nightlife and uptown, within a couple miles.

From our research we find that Dilworth, Elizabeth, Chantilly, Midwood, and Myers park are close to uptown. Can anyone tell me which of these neighborhoods is the nicest, the safest and most likely to find a home in our price range (low $300's). Thanks for any tips I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM

56 posts, read 203,805 times
DrHorton is building nice condo's in the Steele Creek area called The Arysley with restaurants, shopping, and YMCA close by. Drhorton-Charlotte.com

Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harding123 View Post
DrHorton is building nice condo's in the Steele Creek area called The Arysley with restaurants, shopping, and YMCA close by. Drhorton-Charlotte.com
This is nowhere near uptown - why suggest an area that the op did not request info on?????

Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
Hi there. We are a professional couple in our late 30's, looking to move to Charlotte next year after our son goes away to college. We currently live in Ft Lauderdale, FL. I am getting some great advice from this forum looking at different neighborhoods. We would like to be as close to uptown as possible, possibly buy a townhouse or a smaller home/bungalow. Our price range is approx. $300K. We really don't want to live in a "cookie cutter" suburb, but rather be close to shops, restaurants, nightlife and uptown, within a couple miles.

From our research we find that Dilworth, Elizabeth, Chantilly, Midwood, and Myers park are close to uptown. Can anyone tell me which of these neighborhoods is the nicest, the safest and most likely to find a home in our price range (low $300's). Thanks for any tips I can get!
You are looking at great areas near uptown However, in your price range you should concentrate on Chantilly, others will most likely be too pricey for you now. Here is an example of one home in your range: Charlotte NC Homes For Sale, Houses for sale, houses, real estate, for sale - helenadamsrealty.com

Old 07-31-2007, 06:07 PM

153 posts, read 424,461 times
You are looking for Chantilly, there are some great homes in that subdivision, lots of professionals live there.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM

Yes I wanted to be within 3 miles or so of uptown, but thanks anyway.

Lovesmountains, something like that would be great, nice size home. Is that a very nice neighborhood or should we increase our price range to $350k to get a nicer area, or would it be a huge jump? Thanks so much!

Old 07-31-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNM View Post
Yes I wanted to be within 3 miles or so of uptown, but thanks anyway.

Lovesmountains, something like that would be great, nice size home. Is that a very nice neighborhood or should we increase our price range to $350k to get a nicer area, or would it be a huge jump? Thanks so much!
I really like Chantilly - it is just next door to Elizabeth so it is less than 2 miles from uptown. Elizabeth has mostly been turned now, so homes there are selling higher to reflect the rehabbing of the vast majority of homes. In Chantilly I'd guess about 45% have been resold and rehabbed, so you will find some homes selling in the 500's there, just like in Elizabeth, or homes in the low $200's that are yet to be rehabbed. Increasing to $350,000 will not get you any nicer of an area, just maybe a little more square footage and a home with more extensive rennovation. I would highly recommend you consider Chantilly, in about 10 years it will be much like Elizabeth, totally restored to it's period beauty with all homes selling over $500,000. So basically, you would be making a great investment, but also you would love the convenience to everything uptown. Let me know what else I can tell you about

Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 PM

10 posts, read 47,111 times
There are alot of townhouses off Park Rd. in the Myers Park/Sedgefield/Dilworth area. (Watch out b/c Park Rd. is a really long road so check cross-streets). In the 300Ks, check between the area where Park Rd. starts at Kenilworth down to Woodlawn - Hillside East and Hillside West (those have signs in front so I know their community names). There are two others that don't have signs but one is on the corner of Princeton Ave. and Park and the other on Park and Park West. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the info CL and LM. I will check that out. If I can bother someone a little further-my sister and her husband and their toddler want to move up to Charlotte too. Can you recommend an area w/ the best schools, within 20 minutes of uptown? We dont want to be too far apart. I was going to recommend Ballantyne and that area, from what I've read here, but I think her budget is about the same as mine. Thanks again.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:23 AM

153 posts, read 424,461 times
SE Charlotte schools are great, I would try to target Elizabeth Lane Elementary, S Charlotte, Providence, or further south Hawk Ridge, Community House, Adrey Kell. This will keep you relatively close, 20-30 min,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or