U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM

299 posts, read 509,764 times

Advertisements

We're trying to amend our very convoluted living situation. My dh wants to be on a lake, but I want to make the commute as short as possible to the kids' school which is in SE Charlotte.

Does anyone know anything about 28278 vs 28117 zip codes?
We're really looking for a great water view, close amenities (restaurants, shops, etc), things for the kids to do and golf for my husband. I know my way around Mooresville, but don't know Lake Wylie much at all.

Thanks!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
We're trying to amend our very convoluted living situation. My dh wants to be on a lake, but I want to make the commute as short as possible to the kids' school which is in SE Charlotte.

Does anyone know anything about 28278 vs 28117 zip codes?
We're really looking for a great water view, close amenities (restaurants, shops, etc), things for the kids to do and golf for my husband. I know my way around Mooresville, but don't know Lake Wylie much at all.

Thanks!
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Lake Wylie is where you want to be! Much better commute over to southeast Charlotte from there than from Lake Norman - though you'll still be doing a lot of driving just so you can live on water!

I would suggest you look to live in Tega Cay or perhaps River Hills just (just over the Buster Boyd ridge in Steele Creek) to get on the water.

Can you tell us which school so I can better estimate travel times for you?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:23 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
28278 is in Steele Creek. Steele Creek a great area!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM

4,760 posts, read 6,409,050 times
I'd jump the border to River hills or Tega Cay as well. A slightly longer commute is a small sacrifice for lower taxes and better schools. At least it is to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:11 PM

58 posts, read 106,461 times
Problem with schools from River Hills and town of Lake wylie is that it's all the way out in Clover. There's no middle or high school actually in the town of Lake Wylie. No way to drop off at school on the way to work. My daughter has never ridden the bus. Doesn't mean she can't though! It just seems it would be odd to be working in Charlotte and have her in school in Clover, the opposite direction. Would be tough for parents getting to pick-ups from after school activities too.

But it does seem it would beat the drive from Lake Norman into Charlotte. Are there any other reasonable school options (for good schools) living on Lake Wylie?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. My kids will be going to Providence Day and my husband works uptown. I mapquested the commute and it looks to be around 30 mins to school, which is definitely doable.
Can you guys give me an idea of what it is like around Lake Wylie? I'm planning on going to check things out for myself, but any help is much appreciated. Is there a 'type' of Lake Wylie person? I have no idea about this stuff. Like I said before, I know Mooresville pretty well, but don't know about the similarities/differences between the two.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My kids will be going to Providence Day and my husband works uptown. I mapquested the commute and it looks to be around 30 mins to school, which is definitely doable.
Can you guys give me an idea of what it is like around Lake Wylie? I'm planning on going to check things out for myself, but any help is much appreciated. Is there a 'type' of Lake Wylie person? I have no idea about this stuff. Like I said before, I know Mooresville pretty well, but don't know about the similarities/differences between the two.

Personally, I much prefer Lake Wylie to Lake Norman. It's quiet by comparison, and just not as busy with boaters. Tega Cay is just a fantastic little town, very family oriented with lots of room to ride bikes or walk. River Hills is a subdivision also on like Wylie which is gated and probably has an older average resident than you'll find in Tega Cay.

I still hate that you are going to live so far from the school though In traffic expect that ride to take at least 45 minutes, not just 30. Though it will definitely be better than the ride from Lake Norman to PD.

Don't know your price range, but I know of a home real near PD with it's own big pond/small lake. Kids could walk to school or the neighborhood pool right down the street. Let me know if you want me to dig up the MLS number, lol.

For me personally with the price of gas what it is right now I just could not volunteer to do the kind of commute you are thinking of undertaking!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 PM

LOL! Oh, loves, if you only knew the conversations going on in my house right now! DH thinks the kids should sing songs of thanks the entire roundtrip commute because they get to go to such a great school (which it is, I believe) and not utter one negative thing about the time spent in the car because, at least they're not in a bus! I have to laugh or I'd cry
Is the commute still bad early? I'm thinking we'd leave LW at around 7:15am and we're just driving due East.

I have looked extensively around Charlotte, but dh really wants to be out of town on the lake which I can appreciate, but it sure makes things hard on a practical level.

I was looking at something like this: http://hmproperties.com/details.html?MlsNum=936246 which is very expensive, but the view!! lol.
Will there be kids around this neighbourhood for my kids to play with, do you think?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
LOL! Oh, loves, if you only knew the conversations going on in my house right now! DH thinks the kids should sing songs of thanks the entire roundtrip commute because they get to go to such a great school (which it is, I believe) and not utter one negative thing about the time spent in the car because, at least they're not in a bus! I have to laugh or I'd cry
Is the commute still bad early? I'm thinking we'd leave LW at around 7:15am and we're just driving due East.

I have looked extensively around Charlotte, but dh really wants to be out of town on the lake which I can appreciate, but it sure makes things hard on a practical level.

I was looking at something like this: http://hmproperties.com/details.html?MlsNum=936246 which is very expensive, but the view!! lol.
Will there be kids around this neighbourhood for my kids to play with, do you think?
Wow, you really want to make your commute complicated, don't you?? LOL. That's a great looking house, but the commute to PD would be so convoluted you'd be exhausted every morning and evening.

Hate to tell you, but 7:15 is almost PEAK traffic time. You will be lucky to make it to the school in 45 minutes from the Tega Cay area (though again, this is a MUCH better commute than from Lake Norman.) Afternoons would be a bit easier as you would be picking them up before traffic starts to get heavy in afternoon rush.

Any chance you could change your mind about the school? I mean, if your hubs won't give up the lake idea, maybe you can at least let the school go? I just can't believe he thinks this is a good plan - to put your family in that much traffic for so long in the morning AND at the cost of gasoline going up to $4.00 a gallon by summer

If you simply have to have both, then do stick with Lake Wylie - it's your better commute for sure to PD from water.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Gah! Not what I wanted to hear, Loves! I don't want to change the school and DH doesn't want to be in Charlotte proper.

This is going to be a looooooong summer.
What time is a good time to leave that area? School starts at 8am but I could put kids in pre-care before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or