Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 PM

10 posts, read 13,808 times

Advertisements

Moving to Charlotte area in June- daughter will be in first grade. Based on my own research and family recommendations, I have an idea where we want her to go to school...

However, I'm open to suggestions!

IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT ARE THE BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE CHARLOTTE AREA / SURROUNDING AREAS?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 AM

238 posts, read 567,854 times
Matthews Elementary and McKee Road Elementary are excellent school. Top rated.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrienneRead View Post
Moving to Charlotte area in June- daughter will be in first grade. Based on my own research and family recommendations, I have an idea where we want her to go to school...

However, I'm open to suggestions!

IN YOUR OPINION, WHAT ARE THE BEST PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN THE CHARLOTTE AREA / SURROUNDING AREAS?!?

greatschools.org is your friend

There are frankly too many good elementary schools in the Charlotte metro to randomly start recommending them, much depends on where you plan to live

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
I agree with Loves. There are good schools in all parts of Charlotte, but there are many other factors to consider. {job location, price of home, urban vs. suburban, etc}

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Don't fall for picking on the elementary alone - your kids grow up and go to the middle and high schools... In fact, I'd suggest that you concentrate your search in the best HS clusters.

Some ideas from the recent honors excellence ranked HS':

Providence HS
Ardrey Kell HS
Marvin Ridge HS
Weddington HS

Not an exhaustive list... Much will be driven by your budget and other requirements.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 13,808 times
Thanks, all!

I know my original request was broad, as I'm sure there are a multitude of awesome schools in Charlotte- I was just curious to see what people's first response would be!

And don't worry, I'm thinking ahead, researching Middle/High Schools as well- my husband and I are both teachers, so schools are important!

I'm thinking we'll be living in the Cabarrus County area (we're currently looking for a rental house there), so have been leaning towards Odell or Cox Mill Elementary Schools...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Any of the Charter Schools.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
GreatSchools.org Search: cabarrus

Do you and your DH have jobs already lined up? If so, then perhaps you have people within the school district to ask for suggestions/recommendations.

Dawn

Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Don't fall for picking on the elementary alone - your kids grow up and go to the middle and high schools... In fact, I'd suggest that you concentrate your search in the best HS clusters.

Providence HS
Ardrey Kell HS
Marvin Ridge HS
Weddington HS

Not an exhaustive list... Much will be driven by your budget and other requirements.
Excellent advice - as long as you are buying. We were renting in the area of Wingett Park, which we loved as an elementary school. But the high school was Olympic, which I hear is not so nice. We definitely didn't buy in the same area we were renting in.

Also look into Fort Mill across the border in SC. We love the schools there, and it is a lower cost of living.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 PM

10 posts, read 17,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Providence HS
Ardrey Kell HS
Marvin Ridge HS
Weddington HS

This is so true! The elementary schools are important, of course, but the middle and high school are even more so. We are slotted for Independence High....it was a huge up roar around here about the new High School in Mint Hill.........that NO ONE in Mint Hill is slotted for. But, any who, Independence was once great, fell short for a while, and is now coming back with a great reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte