U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM

6 posts, read 10,753 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I live in Wilmington, NC with our two boys and have been here almost our entire lives. Although we love the Wilmington culture, the cost of living is too high and the wages are too low for us. Unfortunately, we also love the NC mountains whose areas seem to have the same problem. So, we've started looking at Charlotte as a possible place to relocate to.

We like Charlotte because there are a lot of entrepreneurial resources there (my husband is an entrepreneur), the cost of living is lower (housing prices look great!), and it's a short drive to the mountains and back to Wilmington (we will still have family here).

I'm a small town girl at heart and although I don't need to live in the boonies, I do enjoy fresh air, room to garden, and even want to have a little hobby farm some day. Maybe it's asking too much to find this near Charlotte?

We also value good schools (boys are in elementary and middle school) and great neighbors.

What places in or around Charlotte sound like a good fit for us? I took this from another thread but thought it might help you all with your suggestions:

Where you are working? - My career is in marketing, and I'm just starting to look for employment. Not sure yet where I'll work. Hubby is flexible.

How much you are willing to spend on housing? - We'd like to rent at first, up to $1200 per month. We'd like to buy in 2-3 years, $175k-ish.

How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - 30 minutes, I think

If you have kids: Private school or public school? - Good public school

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - Small town feeling/suburbia, close neighbors, backyards and privacy

Community amenities important to you - pool, tennis is negotiable

Thanks everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumdearly View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I live in Wilmington, NC with our two boys and have been here almost our entire lives. Although we love the Wilmington culture, the cost of living is too high and the wages are too low for us. Unfortunately, we also love the NC mountains whose areas seem to have the same problem. So, we've started looking at Charlotte as a possible place to relocate to.

We like Charlotte because there are a lot of entrepreneurial resources there (my husband is an entrepreneur), the cost of living is lower (housing prices look great!), and it's a short drive to the mountains and back to Wilmington (we will still have family here).

I'm a small town girl at heart and although I don't need to live in the boonies, I do enjoy fresh air, room to garden, and even want to have a little hobby farm some day. Maybe it's asking too much to find this near Charlotte?

We also value good schools (boys are in elementary and middle school) and great neighbors.

What places in or around Charlotte sound like a good fit for us? I took this from another thread but thought it might help you all with your suggestions:

Where you are working? - My career is in marketing, and I'm just starting to look for employment. Not sure yet where I'll work. Hubby is flexible.

How much you are willing to spend on housing? - We'd like to rent at first, up to $1200 per month. We'd like to buy in 2-3 years, $175k-ish.

What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - Small town feeling/suburbia, close neighbors, backyards and privacy

You know you need a job, first, to get the best targeted advice.

If you are willing to toss the 30 minute commute, I think that you can get what you want, by looking north or west of Charlotte. If your husband is looking at opening a shop of some sort, definitely west. North & west would allow you to look at more that just Charlotte for employment. Is it some type of a shop that your husband would be looking to open?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,482,883 times
If you don't need a neighborhood pool you can still get a nice house in South Charlotte.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,795,422 times
I'm thinking the cost of living in Charlotte is not lower than Wilmington.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:20 AM

6 posts, read 10,753 times
Southbound, my husband runs an internet startup so he primarily works from home. I'm pretty flexible on my commute since I know 30 minutes is probably wishful thinking, but 45 minutes would probably be my tops. We've been looking north towards Huntersville (found a cute community called Spring Park online that sounds wonderful), so I'm glad to know we're kind of in the right place. I'm curious, are there specific neighborhoods in North or West Charlotte you would recommend?

Yantosh, from what I can see in my online searches, the cost of living is lower or about comparable to Wilmington. The salaries are definitely higher there than they are here, and that helps with the living expenses. And from my searches, it looks like housing prices in both the sales and rental markets is significantly cheaper than Wilmington.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Southbound, my husband runs an internet startup so he primarily works from home. I'm pretty flexible on my commute since I know 30 minutes is probably wishful thinking, but 45 minutes would probably be my tops. We've been looking north towards Huntersville (found a cute community called Spring Park online that sounds wonderful), so I'm glad to know we're kind of in the right place. I'm curious, are there specific neighborhoods in North or West Charlotte you would recommend?

Yantosh, from what I can see in my online searches, the cost of living is lower or about comparable to Wilmington. The salaries are definitely higher there than they are here, and that helps with the living expenses. And from my searches, it looks like housing prices in both the sales and rental markets is significantly cheaper than Wilmington.
My thoughts, west of Charlotte, would be to look in Denver in Lincoln County (access to several areas, including Charlotte & Hickory.) SE Gastonia (OK, it's not a small town but Gastonia has not been agressively annexing), with easy access to Charlotte & Hickory. Then there's Kings Mountain. ~11k, & also not aggressively annexing. It's 30 miles from Charlotte, so part of Charlotte is within your time frame, & ~ 40 miles from both Hickory & Spartanburg.

Denver is in the stage of developing. Lincoln County has good schools. Gastonia & Kings Mountain are re-inventing themselves & rehabbing & revitalizing their downtowns. Kings Mountain has good schools & the schools in Gastonia that feed to Forestview High School are good.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Any of the counties surrounding Charlotte would have what you are looking for. (Cabarrus, Lincoln, Gaston, Union)

Concentrate on the jobs first - when you get that nailed down we can tell you the best areas for what you say you want nearest to the job location

Old 04-27-2011, 02:09 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,443,026 times
Yep. In 30 minutes you could get across town, or nowhere. Commutes vary based on where you are and where you are going (Captain Obvious post of the day!)

Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 PM

214 posts, read 344,747 times
North Charlotte - Davidson, Huntersville, Cornelius, Denver
South Charlotte - Weddington, Matthews, Waxhaw (good ways out of town), Fort Mill S.C., Tega Cay S.C. (very small)

All nice enough towns with good areas. I think you'd find what you're looking for in each of these places.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 PM

10 posts, read 15,265 times
I grew up in a small town as well. That was one of the main things we looked for when we moved here was that small town feel, yet close to the big city and conveniences!
We love Mint Hill. This area is great....convenient....and the public schools are really good. Yes, there are better public schools in South Charlotte, but it is very crowded and NOT the small town feel you are looking for.....just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte