U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

Hello, I will be moving to Charlotte in July and working at the 201 N Tryon St building in downtown Charlotte.

A few questions. What areas are safer vs more ghetto in this area?

If I walk .5 miles each way in the morning (around 830am), is it hot enough to sweat a good amount (especially in the summer)?

What are some places within walking distance for a young, yuppie crowd? Is $975 a month a good deal for one of these places for a small (750-850 sq ft) one bedroom? Can anyone breakdown some of the characteristics (crowd, reputation, appeal) of a few places?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjeng View Post
Hello, I will be moving to Charlotte in July and working at the 201 N Tryon St building in downtown Charlotte.

A few questions. What areas are safer vs more ghetto in this area?

If I walk .5 miles each way in the morning (around 830am), is it hot enough to sweat a good amount (especially in the summer)?

What are some places within walking distance for a young, yuppie crowd? Is $975 a month a good deal for one of these places for a small (750-850 sq ft) one bedroom? Can anyone breakdown some of the characteristics (crowd, reputation, appeal) of a few places?

Thanks so much!
In your price range I would not advise living within walking distance of that work address.

A better plan is to live within 5-10 minutes by bus or light rail from that location.

Personally, I would avoid the area west of uptown.

Directly east of uptown is very popular, especially the neighborhoods called Elizabeth, Chantilly and Plaza Midwood.

North of uptown is the NoDa Arts District, very trendy and popular, though still a bit gritty for some of us.

South of uptown is the very desirable Dilworth and Southend sections. This is the only area you can ride the light rail from into uptown.

Some of my top pics for you would be Elizabeth Square, where a 1 bedroom is under $825, Spectrum Southend and Circle Southend (both along the light rail) and in the $900's, and Eastover Ridge which is very popular with the post college crowd.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM

21 posts, read 34,171 times
There are plenty of VERY safe places w/i walking distance of 5/3 Center.

Directly behind that building is condo building call Avenue, might be able to find a rental there. An jus beyond that is 4th Ward, with plenty of rental options. 4th Ward Square and Chapel Watch are nice. 400 N Church is nice, but probably more $$$ than you want to spend.

Going slightly south on Tryon you can find rentals at Trademark and several places

And finally, it is laughable to say someone needs to go to SouthEnd, Midwood or NoDa (really, NoDa? Ha) to be safer than Uptown. I really wonder sometimes where people get their 'advice' from.

Live Uptown, park your car 6 days a week. Walk to work, grocery store, bars, resturants, and everything else there is to do. You'll be happy for it and enjoy living Uptown, I know I did.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyHeightsWay View Post
There are plenty of VERY safe places w/i walking distance of 5/3 Center.

Directly behind that building is condo building call Avenue, might be able to find a rental there. An jus beyond that is 4th Ward, with plenty of rental options. 4th Ward Square and Chapel Watch are nice. 400 N Church is nice, but probably more $$$ than you want to spend.

Going slightly south on Tryon you can find rentals at Trademark and several places

And finally, it is laughable to say someone needs to go to SouthEnd, Midwood or NoDa (really, NoDa? Ha) to be safer than Uptown. I really wonder sometimes where people get their 'advice' from.

Live Uptown, park your car 6 days a week. Walk to work, grocery store, bars, resturants, and everything else there is to do. You'll be happy for it and enjoy living Uptown, I know I did.

I didn't say he'd be safer in those areas than in uptown Read it again.

I said in his price range I would not live within walking distance of that work address, big difference.

Plenty of people live uptown and enjoy it. However, he cannot afford to be there in the best of places and would actually probably enjoy the younger crowd and vibe of Plaza Midwood.

401 N. Church is a luxury high rise. The condo fees alone are about $350 a month. There's no way he's getting a rental there in his budget.

When somone posts looking for info I try hard to give them what THEY say they want and can afford. I don't live in any of the areas I recommend, or own property in any of them either. My only agenda is give the most accurate info possible.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM

686 posts, read 1,415,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyHeightsWay View Post
And, finally, it is laughable to say someone needs to go to SouthEnd, Midwood or NoDa (really, NoDa? Ha) to be safer than Uptown. I really wonder sometimes where people get their 'advice' from.
Loves' advice is VERY sound and thorough, FTR.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM

21 posts, read 34,171 times
Gives advice about an area she fully
admits not living in. Perhaps someone can give advice on a car they don't drive or review a resturant they've not eaten in

Type 4th Ward into Craigslist and there are tons of places he could rent. All safe, all walkable to his building.

And I don't own property Uptown either, and don't need to sell it...the 13,000 residents do that on their own. But there is a time to correct blatantly incorrect 'advice'.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 AM

686 posts, read 1,415,365 times
When you are looking at anyone's advice, be sure to look at their Reputation points as well as their past comments. Those numbers and words speak for themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte