Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is a situation where the job could be anywhere in the Charlotte CSA. This could result in commutes of well over an hour. Is it helpful to give this woman information at this stage? In my opinion, it is not. When she knows which office is involved, people will gladly help.

Recently we had 2 posters, when pressed for a job location, say that the job would be in Gastonia. This skews where the recommendations are given, just as a location of Mooresville would. Heck, we had a poster ask about locations in South Charlotte & Union County a few months ago & when asked about the job location, it turned out that her husband had a job in Uptown Charlotte & she had a job in Greenville, SC. That definitely skewed & limited areas to recommend.

There's a reason that we ask about the job location, & it is not to harass anyone. If you find some of us offensive for asking about job location, then feel free to put us on ignore.

That sums it up nicely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That sums it up nicely
Thanks, I even suggested a separate thread just based on Time Warner office locations. We could make suggestions based on that. My guess is that there are good locations that meet the criteria near all of the various offices. I think that it's wasting the OP's time & energy to give generalized information when there are so many far-flung possibilities. (& most of them would be very good options)

Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, I even suggested a separate thread just based on Time Warner office locations. We could make suggestions based on that. My guess is that there are good locations that meet the criteria near all of the various offices. I think that it's wasting the OP's time & energy to give generalized information when there are so many far-flung possibilities. (& most of them would be very good options)
That's funny. How could it be "wasting" the original posters time WHEN SHE REQUESTED THE INFORMATION??? More likely it is wasting yours--- and if that is the case- then YOU simply do not have to respond at all. Better for a poster to receive a few kind replies than ones treating them as "silly" children by chastising them for trying to glean information that SOME of you deem unnecessary, or "premature". If you are unable to offer towns or areas of Charlotte that you yourselves like or feel may reflect the KNOWN criteria that the poster is willing, or able, to offer up--- then say NOTHING!!! Simply don't respond. We don't need to hear from you on EVERY SINGLE POST in the Charlotte forum just "because" you feel driven to comment whether it is helpful or not, do we? A few of you may impress one another with your self-perceived "wit" and deprecating, tongue-in-cheek, or sarcastic replies--- but most of us find it rather embarrassing for YOU, if not downright insulting to the original posters.

And to the person who sent me an unidentifiable private message pointing out that my current town's square mileage is markedly less than Charlotte's, well, of course this is true. However-- the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area I was referring to is 6000 square miles to Charlotte's 2000... so when Charlotte's commutes reaches the 2 to 2 and a half hours EACH WAY that many D.C. residents travel each day--- then talk to me about commutes that "matter"... not 45 minutes or less. Most of us "yankees" from "up north" may find a 45 minute commute a refreshingly wonderful change from our current or usual routines. BUT-- that is also up to US to decide for ourselves, thank you.

P.S. A smiley face does not render "snide" neutral, especially after the hundred millionth time...

Last edited by js1mom; 05-04-2011 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post
That's funny. How could it be "wasting" the original posters time WHEN SHE REQUESTED THE INFORMATION??? More likely it is wasting yours--- and if that is the case- then YOU simply do not have to respond at all. Better for a poster to receive a few kind replies than ones treating them as "silly" children by chastising them for trying to glean information that SOME of you deem unnecessary, or "premature". If you are unable to offer towns or areas of Charlotte that you yourselves like or feel may reflect the KNOWN criteria that the poster is willing, or able, to offer up--- then say NOTHING!!! Simply don't respond. We don't need to hear from you on EVERY SINGLE POST in the Charlotte forum just "because" you feel driven to comment whether it is helpful or not, do we? A few of you may impress one another with your self-perceived "wit" and deprecating, tongue-in-cheek, or sarcastic replies--- but most of us find it rather embarrassing for YOU, if not downright insulting to the original posters.

And to the person who sent me an unidentifiable private message pointing out that my current town's square mileage is markedly less than Charlotte's, well, of course this is true. However-- the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area I was referring to is 6000 square miles to Charlotte's 2000... so when Charlotte's commutes reaches the 2 to 2 and a half hours EACH WAY that many D.C. residents travel each day--- then talk to me about commutes that "matter"... not 45 minutes or less. Most of us "yankees" from "up north" may find a 45 minute commute a refreshingly wonderful change from our current or usual routines. BUT-- that is also up to US to decide for ourselves, thank you.

If regulars don't respond then threads die.

And personally, I think it is rude to ignore anyone asking an honest question here, so I do try to repsond as often as possible.

My sincere apologies to anyone offended that I have not answered the question the way you think I should have.

But I think most people posting here for info would rather have a response explaining the "lay of the land" on how to go about finding what they want, even it was not the answer they expected, than have no one respond at all, so I'll keep answering as many posts as I can.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1mom View Post

P.S. A smiley face does not render "snide" neutral, especially after the hundred millionth time...
There is nothing snide, witty, or deprecating about what I posted to the OP. I told her the truth. If you would rather that people lie by omission, that is certainly your right, but I think that the best answer to the OP's question, in this case is the truth. There are multiple Time Warner offices scattered all over the area. There could be an exceedingly unpleasant commute if she chooses a residence before the work place is known. That is the truth. I offered an option of another way for her to get information on multiple locations. Since she did not do that, I can only assume that she will make one or more visits & wait for a job location, which is the judicious way to go, in this case.

I tell people the truth. I have advised people against looking at the town that I live in, when it was a viable option, because it did not fit what they wanted. If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore. That will solve your problem. If you think that it would not be a waste of the OP's time & energy to be scoping out locations in Mooresville, or Weddington & have the job opening pop up in Shelby, where there is a Time Warner office, that's your business.

There is no reason to belabor this further, & no reason for you to continue to insult us.

PS - I am a Yankee, transplanted from the Philly metro, & I think that potential commutes far exceeding 1 hour are unacceptable, if it is not necessary.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-04-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 54,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please do keep us posted once you are able to visit and see things first hand.

We will be able to give you more specific advice once you zero in on a particular area.

Best of luck!
ok making plans to go down at the end of the month...I saw the subdivisions that I want to look at and I am going to start a thread asking where the Time Warner cable offices are located as was suggested. Didn't mean to start a war. I know that for some the job location is important and I did state that he will try and transfer so I can understand why people would ask where the office is to give me the best locations. And I did state that he doesn't want a long commute because he commutes about ten minutes now. I also stated the job isn't the end all. It is more beneficial for our three boys to be in a good school,and for us to be in a good area. If his commute becomes longer than he expected he will just have to deal .

Old 05-04-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMAMAOFTHREE View Post
ok making plans to go down at the end of the month...I saw the subdivisions that I want to look at and I am going to start a thread asking where the Time Warner cable offices are located as was suggested. Didn't mean to start a war. I know that for some the job location is important and I did state that he will try and transfer so I can understand why people would ask where the office is to give me the best locations. And I did state that he doesn't want a long commute because he commutes about ten minutes now. I also stated the job isn't the end all. It is more beneficial for our three boys to be in a good school,and for us to be in a good area. If his commute becomes longer than he expected he will just have to deal .

I honestly don't know how many offices there are. I'm sure that we can give you good suggestions within a reasonable commute from the various offices. Now if you get here & then he gets transferred to another office, then that's when he just has to deal with it.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
mod note

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Quote:

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.
Please report rude posts and infractions will be issued

Quote:
"Trolling" is prohibited.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I have been reading the posts and am surprised at how controversial it is for regular posters to simply try to be as helpful as possible by asking about job location. It used to be that folks were very grateful for that insight, as this is a very large, spread out metro, wh/ is often a surprise to folks who have never spent time here.

My suggestion would be that the OP look ONLINE in various areas of the metro AT THIS STAGE to get a feel for them. For ex., why not check out Mooresville-Huntersville, S. Charlotte, Union County, and areas over towards Gastonia, such as Belmont. Nothing wrong with looking online at various neighborhoods (and school info) for each of those areas, and then visiting them when OP can work out a trip.

Sure, we have all been in situations where we changed jobs and ended up with a longer or shorter commute. But no reason to locate one's self in South Carolina or Union County when all the "likely" job locations are an hour or more north.

When I found out I was moving back to NC, my initial reaction was to move to the Huntersville-Mooresville area, b/c I was most familiar with that location (family there). I looked for homes only in that area. I told hubby - you will just have to deal with the commute!!!! But when we tried that commute out, and found it was gonna be a daily pain, we decided to check out S. Charlotte.

I am soooooo glad we didn't locate in Mooresville b/c of the commute. Hubby now travels even more and the trip to the airport is typically 20 mins - and we are very pleased w/ that, too. We may eventually move to Mooresville (retirement someday!) but being in S. CLT was the best decision at the time.

My point is . . . what may not SEEM like a big deal at the time can become a really big issue at some point if one is at the "extremes" of the metro area. That is why it is a good idea to choose a location that you REALLY REALLY LIKE, with schools you feel great about . . . and which will most likely give you a good point from which to commute in several directions. At least start out w/ what makes sense for a commute!

To me, a 45 min commute is not a deal breaker. With the rising cost of gas and work time so easily cutting into family time, I would not be happy with an hour or longer commute, especially if stuck in traffic that comes to a near-standstill DAILY (wh/ is common on certain stretches of highways around the metro area).

Forewarned is forearmed. We can make better decisions when we know all the factors. Nothing wrong with considering a commute, especially when hours in the car also mean $$$ that cuts into budgets, raises blood pressure, and takes time away from family.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM

29 posts, read 54,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have been reading the posts and am surprised at how controversial it is for regular posters to simply try to be as helpful as possible by asking about job location. It used to be that folks were very grateful for that insight, as this is a very large, spread out metro, wh/ is often a surprise to folks who have never spent time here.

My suggestion would be that the OP look ONLINE in various areas of the metro AT THIS STAGE to get a feel for them. For ex., why not check out Mooresville-Huntersville, S. Charlotte, Union County, and areas over towards Gastonia, such as Belmont. Nothing wrong with looking online at various neighborhoods (and school info) for each of those areas, and then visiting them when OP can work out a trip.

Sure, we have all been in situations where we changed jobs and ended up with a longer or shorter commute. But no reason to locate one's self in South Carolina or Union County when all the "likely" job locations are an hour or more north.

When I found out I was moving back to NC, my initial reaction was to move to the Huntersville-Mooresville area, b/c I was most familiar with that location (family there). I looked for homes only in that area. I told hubby - you will just have to deal with the commute!!!! But when we tried that commute out, and found it was gonna be a daily pain, we decided to check out S. Charlotte.

I am soooooo glad we didn't locate in Mooresville b/c of the commute. Hubby now travels even more and the trip to the airport is typically 20 mins - and we are very pleased w/ that, too. We may eventually move to Mooresville (retirement someday!) but being in S. CLT was the best decision at the time.

My point is . . . what may not SEEM like a big deal at the time can become a really big issue at some point if one is at the "extremes" of the metro area. That is why it is a good idea to choose a location that you REALLY REALLY LIKE, with schools you feel great about . . . and which will most likely give you a good point from which to commute in several directions. At least start out w/ what makes sense for a commute!

To me, a 45 min commute is not a deal breaker. With the rising cost of gas and work time so easily cutting into family time, I would not be happy with an hour or longer commute, especially if stuck in traffic that comes to a near-standstill DAILY (wh/ is common on certain stretches of highways around the metro area).

Forewarned is forearmed. We can make better decisions when we know all the factors. Nothing wrong with considering a commute, especially when hours in the car also mean $$$ that cuts into budgets, raises blood pressure, and takes time away from family.
I have looked ONLINE AT THIS STAGE. But looking online doesn't give you an honest opinion that you can get from asking the folks that live in the area. I don't want to waste my time online looking at an area to find out that there is crime, low income housing, etc etc. Even if the schools seem somewhat decent that doesn't necessarily mean that the area is. I live in a nice area and the schools are ok but if you go a few blocks over it turns to crap. I don't want that for my children. I want a nice area with nice surrounding areas. I understand NOW how spread out everything is and I gathered that information by asking questions on the thread. I just wanted everyone to understand that his commute is NOT a top priority. Our move is not dependent on his getting a job. Schools and a nice area to raise a family is. Even when I come down at the end of the month and stay a few days to get a feel for the area etc. it still won't be as good as asking the people that reside here. When I narrow down the areas, then I will ask the opinions...BTW I used to travel 90-120 minutes each way to work by car...Now that is a commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte