U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 PM

29 posts, read 49,199 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the threads and want more opinions. My husband and I are thinking about Charlotte. We are not in any rush whatsoever. We are going to come down within the year to look around to see if it fits what we are looking for.So far via internet I love what I see. He works for Time Warner Cable and is going to try and transfer. I am going to live off my good ol' NYC pension so no work for me. His commute right now is about ten minutes but he stated he would be willing to travel as much as 45 minutes but no more.(spoiled) We have three children one who will be starting elementary school, one who will be in middle school and one in high school by the time we are ready to leave NY. Schools are my upmost top priority. Looking for a house between 200's-400's. Something with amenities like a pool since we have one here and would rather someone else take care of it. A nice low crime neighborhood with children would be ideal. Not too close to each other. We live on Staten Island now which is relatively low in crime compared to the rest of New York but it does have it's drawbacks. I know that there is no Utopia in this world but can I find something close? Thanks in advance for input and suggestions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 PM

171 posts, read 251,268 times
Just make sure the Time Warner job transfer is a done deal with no lost in Senority because the job market is pretty bad here right now! other than that,, it's a wonderful place!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 AM

Not too worried about the job situation. If he transfers great! if not it won't be the end all for us thank God. We will still be moving regardless. I am just using Time Warner as a guide to where he will be traveling to everyday from where we live.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 AM

488 posts, read 657,473 times
Do you know what office he would be transferred to? That would help determine an area. There are many areas that fit what you are looking but it is hard to give information until we know where he will be since Charlotte is incredibly spread out.

I live in the Lake Norman area in Huntersville and can recommend it highly but if he is going to be working in the main office in south Charlotte that is one UGLY commute :-)

Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM

71 posts, read 462,146 times
The main Time Warner office is in the Southwest part of Charlotte in the Arrowood/Steele Creek region. While there are a lot of nice neighborhoods in this area with awesome ammenities and low crime rates, I would recommend some of the towns in Union County. I live in this part of Charlotte now (Ayrsley) since my divorce and can highly recommend it however the number of good communities in this area is not as high as in Union County. I used to live in Union County when I was still married and enjoyed it immensly. The commute is only about 45 minutes to my office (which is 5 minutes past the Time Warner office), the number of communities to which you are alluding to are a lot higher (you will have a lot more to choose from), the schools are much better and the property taxes are much lower!

Overall, I would suggest Weddington, Marvin, Waxhaw (some of the more developed areas only), Indian Trail, and Wesley Chapel first. You can PM me if you would like more info....

Good luck in your search!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,924,108 times
Having grown up in the NYC area, I would advise against Union County, especially for your kids' sakes. It would be a real culture shock. No offense intended for anyone out there but I get a little "get me back to Charlotte" feeling when visiting friends down there and I've been here for 16 years!

I would look in SW Charlotte (Ayrsley) and South Charlotte. Most of the neighborhoods in S. Charlotte have neighborhood pools which are great because you get to enjoy them without having to deal with them and they're a great way for your kids (and you!) to meet people. There are tons of places that would comfortably fit into your price range.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:41 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,129,137 times
Best advice is to have job offer in hand before decided on a place to live.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,392,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Yep

Once the job location is known THEN you can focus on where to live, especially when you want to be within a good commute to that job

Until then, our OP can study the great schools dot org website to learn about the schools and where she might be most interested in living based on ones she sees that she likes.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,354,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

She just said the job isn't the end all. Everytime someone inquires on moving to Charlotte this is always the response.

People want to know where to live.....now how to live. I really wish people would stop lecturing OP's on the job situation. Just give them info on places to live.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM

The job isn't really too important. If he doesn't get it, it doesn't really matter. If he can't transfer right away either I will go ahead and he can wait until he can get transferred. Not to sound pretentious but money and a job isn't really an issue. I want opinions on the best places to live for the children. I am just looking for neighborhoods and using Time Warner as a guide to where we might live. I didn't know Time Warner had so many addresses in NC so I will try to narrow it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte