U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,781,774 times

Advertisements

Tuscaloosa Alabama was blown up by a tornado a little while ago. I guess this isn't that far from ATL. Hopefully the NC mountains will protect CLT again from very severe storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 PM

769 posts, read 1,978,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Yes- and it will continue due to lack of El Nino again this year.

I'm just thanking my (our)lucky stars we aren't in Birmingham AL right now, even though looking at the map looks like we may get something and IREDELL
CLEVELAND DAVIE GASTON IREDELL LINCOLN ROWAN counties are on Tornado watch.

We don't have a landline. Could anyone recommend a weather alert service via cellphone?

Severe Weather: Track the Storms - weather.com
If you use twitter, @wxbrad is the meteorologist for one of the news stations here and he does a pretty good job of keeping you up to date on the current situation. He was recommending this app earlier iMapWeather Radio for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store It costs $9.99, but you can use it in Atlanta too.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:13 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,835,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Ouch! I'm so sorry you feel that my decision is "ludicrous." I didn't really ask your opinion quite honestly. Nor did it have to be so bluntly rude. However, that is just "my" opinion Just for the record, this is not normal severe weather. I"ve been through that. I lived in South Florida and went through Hurricanes (Andrew, Wilma). They issued a TOR:CON value of 10 in Alabama. We are only 2 hrs from that border. This is a significant threat to me, and if I felt like leaving that's my business. If you recall, I specifically asked what weather was expected in this neck of the woods. Not for negative opinions. But thanks for your words anyway ... "Geez!"
Just for the record, I'm from NYC, so my humor may be different than yours. So when you see my winks, I'm actually being sarcastic Smiles, too !
What freakin ever....there is a little New Yawka for ya... as I was born there myself.

Remember when you ask a question on an open forum you get all sorts of responses. Seriously my post was meant to help you. Just find a proper secure place in a tornado...running from one town to another is not an answer. This is not a hurricane situation where inland is safer than the coast. You have a better chance of having an accident in your car on the way to another city than your house being hit by a tornado...If my post offended you before I apologize ....

Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,895,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What freakin ever....there is a little New Yawka for ya... as I was born there myself.

Remember when you ask a question on an open forum you get all sorts of responses. Seriously my post was meant to help you. Just find a proper secure place in a tornado...running from one town to another is not an answer. This is not a hurricane situation where inland is safer than the coast. You have a better chance of having an accident in your car on the way to another city than your house being hit by a tornado...If my post offended you before I apologize ....
Criticizing my judgment by calling what I did ludicrous, and then ending it with "geez!" sounded way more insulting than helpful. Ya think?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,781,774 times
I think the local "weather readers" on TV overuse the word ........... Tornado.............. The news producers must be telling these folks to say that word as much as possible for ratings.

After watching WCNC yesterday, Brad Panovich made it sound as if Armageddon was making a bee line straight to Charlotte, yet again. This morning. Nothing. I'm glad I chose to ignore their weather drama.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,423,357 times
Since they cannot say snow tornado is thw next best thing.

We had a clap of thunder that woke me up and I check doppler on my radar look like a huge red cell in Charlotte, Monroe heading toward Albermarle. I hope everyone is ok.

AJ what did you end up doing?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,895,189 times
We stayed in Concord. Love it here btw! This was on my top 3 places to move --- should have done it! grrr

Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,423,357 times
Thats good to hear
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,835,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
We stayed in Concord. Love it here btw! This was on my top 3 places to move --- should have done it! grrr
Glad it worked out for you. Shrug....each his own I guess..right?

Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM

700 posts, read 1,430,399 times
Default problem solved

NOAA's National Weather Service

I use this all the time. Just go to the area you are visiting. Click on it and there you will see the cities in the area. If you know the spot say an area in the mountains. It will give you that areas weather. Of course it does have limits but it works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte