Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,235 times

Advertisements

The atmosphere is very dicey today and the kind that can produce a storm out of no where. Sure, these animated radars are helpful but the storms that hit Lake Norman and west Charlotte today ballooned up over York County. So, don't rely to heavily on what you see on the radar right now. These storms will start forming out of no where as the afternoon goes on. There is one forming over SW Mecklenburg County as I type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontknwmyusername View Post
The notion that Atlanta gets more severe weather is laughable. We have had a very active season thus far. Take this from someone who is a big time weather geek and knows what he is talking about.
I think the posted statistics in your other thread about tornado sirens made it quite clear that Atlanta has significantly more severe weather than Charlotte. Regardless, this person is just coming for a visit, not moving, so there's no reason to even bring up storm history. This current storm system is not supposed to be as severe here as it is in Atlanta. SPC doesn't even put us in the moderate risk category.

I understand his frustration. My sister has had it with the weather in Atl this spring too. Her nerves are shot, they've lost siding and shingles, their neighbor's 50ft tree fell down in their yard, and their power has been out several times, not to mention they have been sleeping in the basement a couple of nights a week for the last month or so.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 PM

415 posts, read 1,149,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Is there tornadic weather expected there tonight (Wed, 4/27) into tomorrow?
We live in Atlanta, and are expecting possibly big tornadoes (as advised by the weather forecasters here).
We are thinking of road tripping it to your area for over night.
Will the storms be of less intensity there? Anyone hear any weather news for your area? They have been warning us here since last night of tornadoes. I don't want to be here!!! This system is scaring me!
Pretty sure that the risks involved in a 4 hour drive are much greater than from staying put in your home during a severe weather outbreak.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Hail was coming down here at Lake Norman around 1pm. Like ping pong balls.
Really!
I'm in Mooresville beside the lake and had a little rain but no hail.
Shows how localised these things are.
Sun is out now.Days like this are so confusing!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I think the posted statistics in your other thread about tornado sirens made it quite clear that Atlanta has significantly more severe weather than Charlotte. Regardless, this person is just coming for a visit, not moving, so there's no reason to even bring up storm history. This current storm system is not supposed to be as severe here as it is in Atlanta. SPC doesn't even put us in the moderate risk category.

I understand his frustration. My sister has had it with the weather in Atl this spring too. Her nerves are shot, they've lost siding and shingles, their neighbor's 50ft tree fell down in their yard, and their power has been out several times, not to mention they have been sleeping in the basement a couple of nights a week for the last month or so.
Exactly the same as my freind and a neighbor.

Friend (in Mooresville) had siding ripped off, 3 trees down one of which totalled the neighbors 2 vehicles and siding ripped off.

A home along the street had 3 70ft pine trees come down across the driveway.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Exactly the same as my freind and a neighbor.

Friend (in Mooresville) had siding ripped off, 3 trees down one of which totalled the neighbors 2 vehicles and siding ripped off.

A home along the street had 3 70ft pine trees come down across the driveway.
Yes, there is statistically more severe weather (and rain) in areas north of Charlotte. They are farther away from the mountains and the storms have enough area to regain their strength. Not sure how it compares to Atlanta, though. It's been an active year everywhere!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,565 times
We're here. Charlotte. Got here at 130pm.
It's nice. My first time.
Thanks everyone. We almost moved here last year, and now I get to check it out.
Charlotte's Torcon is a 3-4, my area in GA is a 6-8. So I'm hoping I'm better here tonight.
Plus the kids are having fun.
We drove through the severe thunderstorm in Gastonia at 1, and it was cake compared to Atlanta this season. I wasn't even stressed.
What I've seen in Atlanta the last month has been scary!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
Quote:

Its been like that in alot of places! Atlanta is having a tough year but so are many places. To leave your house because of the threat of "possible" severe weather is in all honestly LUDICROUS.......sorry op...don't mean to be blunt but its just silly really. We have as much chance here of getting strong winds and hail as they do....cmon people..if its nasty out take neccessary precautions. If a storm is near head to a windowless room in the middle of the house or a basement but lets be sensible...geez.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its been like that in alot of places! Atlanta is having a tough year but so are many places. To leave your house because of the threat of "possible" severe weather is in all honestly LUDICROUS.......sorry op...don't mean to be blunt but its just silly really. We have as much chance here of getting strong winds and hail as they do....cmon people..if its nasty out take neccessary precautions. If a storm is near head to a windowless room in the middle of the house or a basement but lets be sensible...geez.
Ouch! I'm so sorry you feel that my decision is "ludicrous." I didn't really ask your opinion quite honestly. Nor did it have to be so bluntly rude. However, that is just "my" opinion Just for the record, this is not normal severe weather. I"ve been through that. I lived in South Florida and went through Hurricanes (Andrew, Wilma). They issued a TOR:CON value of 10 in Alabama. We are only 2 hrs from that border. This is a significant threat to me, and if I felt like leaving that's my business. If you recall, I specifically asked what weather was expected in this neck of the woods. Not for negative opinions. But thanks for your words anyway ... "Geez!"
Just for the record, I'm from NYC, so my humor may be different than yours. So when you see my winks, I'm actually being sarcastic Smiles, too !

Last edited by AJ1972; 04-27-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is statistically more severe weather (and rain) in areas north of Charlotte. They are farther away from the mountains and the storms have enough area to regain their strength. Not sure how it compares to Atlanta, though. It's been an active year everywhere!
Yes- and it will continue due to lack of El Nino again this year.

I'm just thanking my (our)lucky stars we aren't in Birmingham AL right now, even though looking at the map looks like we may get something and IREDELL
CLEVELAND DAVIE GASTON IREDELL LINCOLN ROWAN counties are on Tornado watch.

We don't have a landline. Could anyone recommend a weather alert service via cellphone?

Severe Weather: Track the Storms - weather.com

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 04-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte