U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,448,738 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know ...

If your child attends a school that does not offer a particular sport, can they access that sport at a school that does?

If not, how does one go about getting a particular sport at the other school?

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 04:23 PM

No one knows?

My line of thinking says county taxes pay for county schools thus a county resident with a public school student, should be able to access a sport not offered at the home school.

Now, no need to slam me as I know my line of thinking likely does not fall in line with policy. Just looking for direction!

Sara

Old 08-03-2007, 07:12 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,170,079 times
I am not sure about your specific question, but I can tell you that NC does NOT allow homeschool students to play sports at the local public school. This is one of the few states I have encountered that didn't allow homeschool students (whose parents pay taxes for that school anyway) to play in the local sports program (provided they make the team of course.)

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
No one knows?

My line of thinking says county taxes pay for county schools thus a county resident with a public school student, should be able to access a sport not offered at the home school.

Now, no need to slam me as I know my line of thinking likely does not fall in line with policy. Just looking for direction!

Sara

Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
Can you be more specific? What sport do you have in mind? What grade is your child in?

ETA: NC High School Athletic Association (broken link)

Eligibility:
Quote:
4. RESIDENCE: A student is eligible to participate at the school to which he or she is assigned by the local board of education, within the administrative unit of residence. “Residence” as used for athletic eligibility purposes is defi ned as the equivalent of the term ”domicile“ as applied by the courts of North Carolina. Under no circumstances can a student have more than one residence for eligibility purposes. It is the obligation of the school to know the residence status of each athlete and to require compliance with these requirements.Except as otherwise provided, the residence of any student shall be deemed to be that of his or
her parents or the sole surviving parent.

In the event the parents are separated or divorced, the residence of the student shall be that of
the parent to whom custody has been awarded by a court of competent jurisdiction. If no custody
order has been entered, the residence shall be deemed to be that of the parent who had actual custody
immediately upon the separation.

Any change in residence must be bonafide. Determination of what constitutes a bona fi de
change of residence depends upon the facts of each case. In order for a change of residence to be
considered bona fi de at least the following facts must exist: (1) The original residence must be
abandoned as a residence; that is sold, rented or disposed of as a residence, and must not be used as
residence by any member of the family; (2) The entire family must make the change and take with
them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the circumstances; (3) The change must be
made with the intent that it is permanent.

Transfers within the same administrative unit may be governed by local Board of Education
policy. A student transferred from one administrative unit to another by mutual agreement is im-
mediately eligible for athletic participation in the receiving unit.

Last edited by NCgirl; 08-03-2007 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Can the question be answered in general terms? Lots of knowledgable people here figured this is as good a place as any.

I looked for the information on UCPS' website, didn't see it addressed. Although, even if the answer is in the affirmative, it's not the sort of thing a district would typically advertise per se due to the costs involved.

Wondering if anyone has had experience with the above.

I do have a particular child in mind, who excels in a particular sport but it's not available at his home school, while it is as another.

My next step is to contact the district directly but it's always nice to have supporting information on hand.

Sara

Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am not sure about your specific question, but I can tell you that NC does NOT allow homeschool students to play sports at the local public school. This is one of the few states I have encountered that didn't allow homeschool students (whose parents pay taxes for that school anyway) to play in the local sports program (provided they make the team of course.)

Dawn
Out of curiosity, do you know if this is statewide or a Union County ruling? I know it's usually up to individual districts.

Several months back I learned a certain UC middle school had an ASL club, a homeschool Mom contacted the principal about her son participating. Unfortunately, I lost track of the family, would love to know what came of that situation.

Sara

Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,170,079 times
My understanding is that this is state wide. We had some friends in Raleigh whose daughter was excellent in Lacrosse and she ended up going to high school at the ps because she wanted to play competitively and they wouldn't let her unless she went there.

The ps doesn't offer anything for homeschool kids. Many states allow hs kids to use books, take a class or two, play sports, etc.....but not here.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know if this is statewide or a Union County ruling? I know it's usually up to individual districts.

Several months back I learned a certain UC middle school had an ASL club, a homeschool Mom contacted the principal about her son participating. Unfortunately, I lost track of the family, would love to know what came of that situation.

Sara

Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
My understanding is that this is state wide. We had some friends in Raleigh whose daughter was excellent in Lacrosse and she ended up going to high school at the ps because she wanted to play competitively and they wouldn't let her unless she went there.

The ps doesn't offer anything for homeschool kids. Many states allow hs kids to use books, take a class or two, play sports, etc.....but not here.

Dawn
Sent you a PM.

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or