U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 PM

295 posts, read 972,226 times

Advertisements

It is in English Trails Fort Mill. I have noticed the same pattern in another house in the neighborhood. I bet the pad wasn't large enough to hold the ranch.
I am going to listen to what they have to say during the predrywall and take it from there.

Last edited by Gosox05; 08-01-2007 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,269,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosox05 View Post
I am having a house built by KBhomes and the foudation is cracked from one side of the house to the other and the outside is visible from inside. The problem is getting worse each day. I talked to an inspector and they said they do not inspect the foudation. My predrywall is in a few days; should I trust that Kb will fix the problem or should I try to get out of the contract?

Thanks in advance

What do you mean you can see the outside from the inside. If you are at a quarter inch you should be ok. anymore I would worry. Also if you are on a hill that is be a problem because the ground is moving. KB is very good about this. Ask them to saw the crack and fill it with epoxy if the epoxy splits you have a serious problem.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

47 posts, read 125,215 times
To Lisaf, its probable they'd lose their deposit and perhaps they like the house and community- their reason for buying there in the first place. Builder contracts are tight and they heavily favor the builder-- all the burden of proof would be on the buyer and what's been said so far isn't compelling.

Important question Gosox, is it being build on a slab or a crawl space?
I'm betting a slab, and if on a slab, there is minimal concern, and the advice above more than applies. I'd consider a quality home inspector and bring him out to see it now- he'll come cheap and might refer the situation to a structural engineer- the next option. All the while knowing that they will fix it or you don't close. Try and avoid putting another dime in the contract like on those options that they require additional deposits for... by the way, how much cash do you have in the deal total? pm me for more...
a former builder and current Realtor

Old 06-25-2008, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,477 times
My KBHome at Berewick had the same issue. A crack developed from one side of the family room to the exterior kitchen wall. Expecting the worst reply/resolution from KBHome, I took pictures of the crack with a car key next to it for comparison (in case this ended up in court). But there was no need. I simply reported the issue to KBHome's builder and the crack was fixed better than I could have ever expected.

I have to disagree with the few that have mentioned a realtor as a solution. A relator does absolutely nothing but become the fifth wheel when dealing with a builder. It's your home, be responsible, deal directly with your builder. Realtors are useless (a joke as well).

A home inspector is a good idea but he/she will only document the same thing that you can document. He will measure, write notes, take pictures--you can do this as well. Just like I did! So once again, be responsible and deal directly with your builder (establish a relation).

In my case, had KBHome not agreed to fix the crack, I would have built the home to closing and then dumped it on them right there an then. Walked over to the courthouse, filled a lawsuit, put a lein on the home for my deposit; and KBHome would be stuck with an aging property that would not sell. As a result of the crack, every listing agent, including KBHome would have to disclose to future buyers that the foundation was cracked and not repaired. In turn, the house would be very hard to sell. Ofcourse, KBHome could only sell the house once my deposit and interest were refunded and I released the lien on the property.

Building a home can be so much fun!

Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 AM

630 posts, read 1,675,209 times
Most importantly, find out why it cracked. A crack can be repaired in 15 mins with $3 worth of material. They may have messed up the mix when pouring the slab and this could be a sign of things to come. Test to see if the rest of the slab is strong. You might want to get a independent slab test.

Fixing the source of the crack may cost tens of thousands and require the foundation to be underpinned. If you notice the ground falling away, request the foundation permit. They also needed to get the ground tested before laying the slab.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:13 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,828,607 times
I had 2 houses in LA on slabs, but they both had 30 ft. pilings underneath - code there. They never cracked that I saw, although the ground did compact and pull away over the yrs (30 in one case) and I had to have truckloads of soil added. I had a house in MS on a slab and it had little cracks running throuogh it; it had carpet which I pulled up so I saw all the cracks. But they were minute although long and the house was at least 10 yrs old.

If you have such a large crack now, before the house is even finished, it is only going to get worse. I strongly suggest you hire a PE (professional engineer) who specializes in foundations to examine it now. Look in the phone book or call the local engineering society for names. If ti's a probelm, sounds like Sformoso's advice would work. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM

19,817 posts, read 55,828,607 times
OH my, I just noticed the date of the original post! SO, to the OP, if still around, how did it turn out?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:23 PM

14,115 posts, read 20,836,900 times
I would pull out of that contract super fast. You're looking for nothing but problems and think about resale problems in the future as well. Get ahold of an attorney if needed.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM

176 posts, read 508,227 times
Default This OP was last summer

My guess is that this issue resolved itself last year sometime . Unfortunately, the OP did not come back here to give us the update, and we are responding like the issue is still alive.
Let's hope it all worked out well. Maybe the OP will see this, or someone will send a PM to get the update.
Sandy

Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,477,941 times
Concrete is guaranteed to crack. How bad? Best thing when in doubt is to call in a professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte