U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,823,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
They need to get Houshmanzadah or another big target
I agree! The best thing Carolina can do is get a big target..i watched Manning win a SB with Plaxico and that goes to show what a big reliable target can do. With the current receivers, the running game better be darn good or its gonna be alot of 3 and outs. But give Newton a full year at the helm..he is gonna benefit from the experience greatly and i suspec after this year Carolina will start getting him the pieces. But oh its gonna be ugly at times this year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 AM

7,014 posts, read 3,398,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I agree! The best thing Carolina can do is get a big target..i watched Manning win a SB with Plaxico and that goes to show what a big reliable target can do. With the current receivers, the running game better be darn good or its gonna be alot of 3 and outs. But give Newton a full year at the helm..he is gonna benefit from the experience greatly and i suspec after this year Carolina will start getting him the pieces. But oh its gonna be ugly at times this year....
Newton has 2 pretty good TE's who can get past the first down marker and beat their LB's.

Olsen killed the Steelers 2 years ago and we were blitzing Cutler like crazy. Cutler has a canon but the main reason he was able to beat us is because he was mobile.

Cam's feet will help him out and move the chains every now and then. Clausen has a history of throwing perfect spirals 5 yards out of bounds anytime he feels pressure.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Newton has 2 pretty good TE's who can get past the first down marker and beat their LB's.

Olsen killed the Steelers 2 years ago and we were blitzing Cutler like crazy. Cutler has a canon but the main reason he was able to beat us is because he was mobile.

Cam's feet will help him out and move the chains every now and then. Clausen has a history of throwing perfect spirals 5 yards out of bounds anytime he feels pressure.
Well you have to go with Newton in my opinion. We will see if he has success this year but i think he is gonna take his lumps. The experience he will gain by playing through it will prove very valuable down the road.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Well you have to go with Newton in my opinion. We will see if he has success this year but i think he is gonna take his lumps. The experience he will gain by playing through it will prove very valuable down the road.
The list of rookie QB's who didn't take lumps is very small...

After a 2-14 season Carolina has no choice but to start Cam... no one wants to see the first pick on the bench unless you have a future HOFer running the offense.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The list of rookie QB's who didn't take lumps is very small...

After a 2-14 season Carolina has no choice but to start Cam... no one wants to see the first pick on the bench unless you have a future HOFer running the offense.
Exactly right. Usually a rookie gets a year or two to play behind vet and learn the ropes. Not in this case..baptism by fire. He will be all the better for it but its gonna be painful to watch at times this year. Like a said before "patience".

Dammit, I just saw the Giants lost Terrell Thomas (CB) to a torn acl....devastating loss for that defense.

SCREW PRESEASON

Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly right. Usually a rookie gets a year or two to play behind vet and learn the ropes. Not in this case..baptism by fire. He will be all the better for it but its gonna be painful to watch at times this year. Like a said before "patience".

Dammit, I just saw the Giants lost Terrell Thomas (CB) to a torn acl....devastating loss for that defense.

SCREW PRESEASON
Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco and Sanchez have made it difficult for teams to sit a rookie QB if he is anywhere close to being as good as the vet.

If the season is lost already as most believe what is the benefit of playing Clausen? What can Cam learn by watching Clausen besides doing the exact opposite of what he does.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Joe Flacco and Sanchez have made it difficult for teams to sit a rookie QB if he is anywhere close to being as good as the vet.

If the season is lost already as most believe what is the benefit of playing Clausen? What can Cam learn by watching Clausen besides doing the exact opposite of what he does.
There is no benefit , you play Newton and take it for better or worse.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 AM

214 posts, read 103,801 times
I believe Panthers should let Clausen have another shot. I know Cam is the future, but, nothing wrong by learning or observing for a year.

By the way, I am a Raiders fan. I know, I know. Why Pryor right lol lets hope he is not another Jrussell.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrock View Post
I believe Panthers should let Clausen have another shot. I know Cam is the future, but, nothing wrong by learning or observing for a year.

By the way, I am a Raiders fan. I know, I know. Why Pryor right lol lets hope he is not another Jrussell.
A Raiders fan giving advice? I'm joking...

Might as well start Derek Anderson if you want Cam to learn something by watching. DA went to a pro bowl and had success in 2007 with the OC.

Cam will learn nothing from watching Clausen because the kid is still raw and scared to death when he drops back.

I thought Clausen got the shaft by starting for a team with no weapons last year but he whiffed in the leadership dept. New HC and new OC... if Clausen isn't head and shoulders above Cam what is the point?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM

128 posts, read 152,606 times
The best thing for the Panthers to do is to let Cam have at it, IMO. He certainly won't learn anything from Clausen. And would only learn a minimum amount from Anderson. After watching him in the first two games, he no doubt has the confidence and talent to win and succeed. I think he just needs to learn to run when he has to, learn to read the D which comes with experience and have Smitty in there to help him out. I wasn't a huge fan of the selection initially but you can tell he has far greater confidence and cool when in the game than Clausen ever did at any point last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte