U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 PM

3,468 posts, read 3,152,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
If the Panthers end with a similar record as last, I still stand by saying they draft another QB and he has to fight for his spot.

I already admitted I was wrong to a degree. He has thrown better than I expected now that the season has started. Though, I am still not sold on him as he seems to break down in the fourth, especially in redzone i.e. when it counts.

My stance was I rather the Panthers drafted their holes( i.e. offensive line, corner/defensive backs, and a second receiver) and run with Clausen/whoever else was on roster be it Moore/Anderson/etc as QB. If the team didn't improve, draft Luck.

IMO this is why they aren't winning. They aren't establishing the run so the safeties stay back which will lead to more interceptions.

Totally agree. Gabbert is def the starter; McPicker proved that today. If the Panthers don't win, they are giving up the easiest game they have this season.

See NDAlum observation. Riveria has essentially benched his runningbacks. Williams has 12 carries.... on the SEASON. His average last year was 14.5 carries/GAME. The more carries a back gets, the more likely he busts for big gains.

There is ONE key word in you whole rant that should resonate, redzone, the redzone..last year it might as well been the ozone or it seemed that far away. He's getting us there, it'll get better you can bet your fanny on that with all those tight ends and yet to be exploited running game....a whole lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM

11,781 posts, read 9,386,212 times
Plenty of rookie QB's have had 3 INT games. The Panthers are putting everything on Cam's arm amd he has responded so far. Wins and losses aren't the barometer for his rookie season. Cam is already ahead of schedule as far as QB's are concerned. Balance out the attack and stop giving up big plays and they should be fine. 6-10 would be considered a success IMO and I see them winning 7 games and losing a few close ones.

The holding call at the GL when up 10-0 was huge.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There is ONE key word in you whole rant that should resonate, redzone, the redzone..last year it might as well been the ozone or it seemed that far away. He's getting us there, it'll get better you can bet your fanny on that with all those tight ends and yet to be exploited running game....a whole lot better.
Bingo, it was 3 plays for negative yards and punt last year.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
LMAO!! You're clueless. Today CAM broke the franchise's record for the most yards thrown in a game

This is what franchise QB's do: Cam Newton breaks more rookie passing records - CBSSports.com
Thanks for the info lesson as if I am unaware.

He is in a pass happy/dominant offense with guys who are good receivers (i.e. two all-star TEs and a top 5 WR). Yardage doesn't determine that. Wins, high completion rate, low turnovers are what determine how good a QB is.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Tell that to the team. The goal of this season like any other is to win.

How? 3 TDs 4 Interceptions does not scream of Franchise QB. I don't care how many yards he throws. It comes down to keeping turnovers down (which he isn't doing at this point) and winning ballgames (which he hasn't done at this point).

This issue has already been discussed. Clausen's subpar performance is a result of his teammates too. He was down two starting linemen, a starting runningback, and didn't have 2 all-star TEs to pass to. Note a coach was not rehired during this process i.e. essentially fired. He was doomed for failure.
Jimmy was put in a tough spot, but coaches have a 6 sense regarding potential once on display for a while. The league is riddled with injuries and sounds like you're constantly making excuses for Jimmy's failures and denying that Cam is a better QB with more upside. That's your opinion, but coaches don't have that kind of a window or timeframe. Else, you'll go the route of Foxy...held onto Jake a tad too long.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:12 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Jimmy was put in a tough spot, but coaches have a 6 sense regarding potential once on display for a while. The league is riddled with injuries and sounds like you're constantly making excuses for Jimmy's failures and denying that Cam is a better QB with more upside. That's your opinion, but coaches don't have that kind of a window or timeframe. Else, you'll go the route of Foxy...held onto Jake a tad too long.
Since teams are not equal between last and this, we can't judge who is better than who. Now if Newton was to be plucked, which he won't, then you can see how Clausen performs in comparison since they would have the same team and coaching scheme to work with.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info lesson as if I am unaware.

He is in a pass happy/dominant offense with guys who are good receivers (i.e. two all-star TEs and a top 5 WR). Yardage doesn't determine that. Wins, high completion rate, low turnovers are what determine how good a QB is.

At least Cam can locate them on the radar, last year we needed a marine recon unit to find anyone down field. Cam underestimated Woodson....give credit to maybe the best DB in the league, he won that game for GB. This is a common mistake with rookie QBs, the reason for Peytons high int. rate his rookie year. If that one player (Woodson) is on our side of the field, Panthers win that game.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Since teams are not equal between last and this, we can't judge who is better than who. Now if Newton was to be plucked, which he won't, then you can see how Clausen performs in comparison since they would have the same team and coaching scheme to work with.
Fair enough, but Clausen didn't get it done. For some odd reason, you tend to believe that these coaches are partisan or stupid. Ok, sometimes they do stupid things (like not taking the yardage on that holding penalty), but not when comparing performance or which player gives them the best chance to win. Every practice is a tryout, Cam beat out Clausen and hasn't convinced them to make a change. You betcha, if he regresses to that point, he'll have a clipboard and cap signalling-in plays. This is the NFL, not peewee, everybody doesn't get a trophy.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Clausen can't extend plays with his feet, he can't move the chains when all the WR's are covered. Cam had 3 drives that would have ended with punts if Clausen was in the game.

Cam gives this team an oppurtunity to compete with the beet team in the NFL. We couldn't do that with Clausen, he isn't built for the NFL

Old 09-18-2011, 07:58 PM

870 posts, read 3,215,146 times
All these arguments are silly.
I went to the game today and found myself having a good time. I cheered for a losing team which I haven't done in several years.
This is definately a learning season, coming off only 2 wins last year. Don't expect too many wins but they will be close losses.
Wait til next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte