U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 AM

218 posts, read 210,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I can't say that I blame "them" for being disturbed, but let's face the facts. Dallas, Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, San Fran and the likes have all EARNED their fan bases with championships (and more than two). The Panthers are young and have none. Fans like winners. Period. There are folks here in Charlotte (born and raised here at that) who LOVE their Cowboys and Redskins. Why is that? Because "their" teams went all the way at a time when the Panthers didn't exist. Since the Panthers became a team, we've all seen the Panthers fall 3 points short of the title. Before that title game, Panthers' flags were on tons of cars in BOTH Carolinas. People were ready to give up their faux home teams (ie Dallas, Pittsburgh, Washington) for the Panthers. However, the Panthers let us all down; thus the faux home teams became loved even more. What we saw Sunday (a Charlotte stadium full of angry Redskins fans) should be a wake up call to owner Jerry Richardson. This team is supported, but it is partially supported by fans of the opposing teams. Whose fault is that? Charlotte's or the Panthers'?

In 16 years of existence, the Panthers have made the post-season 4 times (and this year will be no different than the team's past track record). Cam brings hope for the future, which is something this team badly needs. However, the past 16 years of mediocrity can't be washed away with a rookie QB and a 2-5 start. To the average fair-weather fan, this team is NOTHING until they win it all. Being that Charlotte is a city full of transplants and natives (both groups are not used to supporting any sports team based in Charlotte) it will be an uphill battle (to gain fans) for any team that is based here and is not that great.

That's not entirely true. Charlotte fills the stadium. The problem is that when playing certain teams (ie Pittsburgh, Dallas, Green Bay, Washington) the Panthers fans are out-numbered. One thing to consider also is the fact that quite a few Washington fans make the trip to Charlotte because watching their Redskins in Charlotte is MUCH cheaper than going to a game in DC (even with the costs of a hotel and gas, Charlotte is cheaper according to some Redskins fans).

With that said, here's the NFL attendance so far this year...
2011 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN
I see, thanks for the info. I have been living here for about 10 years now and still don't know much about the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Didn't they win? What makes you think he was more concerned with the crowd then the game? He made an observation and spoke on it... you act like he was walking through the stands or had his back to the game.
They sure did, and they needed that win bad. Or else more fans will not be sniffing that stadium.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrock View Post
They sure did, and they needed that win bad. Or else more fans will not be sniffing that stadium.
ehhh... not sure about that. Panthers are still exciting and I love watching them now. Last year was torture.

I know winning cures all but that first scramble by Cam was worth the price of admission. I'm not sure the Panther fans realize what they have yet.... this is just the beginning. In 3 years? Oh my...

Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM

I agree there, I will definitely go to one home game next season for sure.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,798,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrock View Post
For the Panthers, maybe it's because most fans here used to be the skins, vikes, and cowboys fans?

It just funny that the head coach pointed out, he should be more concern with the game, not with the fans.

IME, NC was split in half before the Panthers. With Eastern and Northern half being more likely to be Redskins fans, and the Southern and Western (including Charlotte), more likely to be Falcons fans. DC and VA residents are some of the largest transplant popluations in NC. One of the chiefs at my job is originally from DC, works in Raleigh now. He was at the game rooting for the Redskins.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Two costly fumbles. Both gave Vikings great field position in which they scored off both. We at least this week he took it to heart instead of his usual smile in post game interviews.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Two costly fumbles. Both gave Vikings great field position in which they scored off both. We at least this week he took it to heart instead of his usual smile in post game interviews.
Ah..see you got right on the computer after the loss as per usual..After the win you are never anywhere to be found for awhile. Another great game from Newton....he continues to excel much to your dismay..

Old 10-30-2011, 03:57 PM

763 posts, read 644,312 times
We lost to the other lousy team. I will hold off on watching any more games until next year. Newton is good, but so what? We lost to the other lousy team today.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,938,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Ah..see you got right on the computer after the loss as per usual..After the win you are never anywhere to be found for awhile. Another great game from Newton....he continues to excel much to your dismay..
First fumble start on Panthers 16 - 2 plays Viking TD
Second fumble start on Panthers 39 - 2 plays Viking TD

And that had no barring on the result...

You can't blame the defense today. They had some pass deflections, a force fumble, and held Peterson under his average.

Oh and P.S. I responded after last win too.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,849,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
First fumble start on Panthers 16 - 2 plays Viking TD
Second fumble start on Panthers 39 - 2 plays Viking TD

And that had no barring on the result...

You can't blame the defense today. They had some pass deflections, a force fumble, and held Peterson under his average.

Oh and P.S. I responded after last win too.
You responded after being prodded. WHATEVER.. Giants won...thats what matters. Cam is the future...deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte