U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,264,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
You people need to let the CAM hate go. This guy is our QB for the next several years. He's been solid every game. The Panthers have issues, but the QB position is not one of them. Next topic, please.
no hate here he is a good young qb, will be fun to watch his career. It can go either way. I'm just tired of people talking like he is the 2nd coming. I've heard his name mentioned with the likes of jordan and woods on talk radio, and this is from the local hosts. lets just all slow down a lil and wait till he does it for a couple of years. then we can crown him as great. As it is now he is a really good young qb, that will almost certainly make the probowl in his rookie season. That being said i don't think anyone in canton is making room for his bust just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
no hate here he is a good young qb, will be fun to watch his career. It can go either way. I'm just tired of people talking like he is the 2nd coming. I've heard his name mentioned with the likes of jordan and woods on talk radio, and this is from the local hosts. lets just all slow down a lil and wait till he does it for a couple of years. then we can crown him as great. As it is now he is a really good young qb, that will almost certainly make the probowl in his rookie season. That being said i don't think anyone in canton is making room for his bust just yet.
LOL, but he wasn't even the first coming. Typical media, Cam was supposed to be a wasted pick, a bust, etc. etc. He shows he can actually play (and well) ....now the hype machine goes in full motion...pro bowl, etc...damn if you do and damn if you don't.

Real fans keep things in perspective, meaning give the guy a chance prior to calling him a bust, then hold-up on the Canton talk and useless comparisons. The Panthers are a decent team but are making too many mistakes in the penalty department and on special teams. The defense is riddled with injury and the offense is a work-in-progress.

In retrospect, the local media has a reason to get excited and overhyped, considering the past few years and performance. It's analagous to tossing a hobo a bologna sandwich, taste like filet mignon....LOL. Dude, we don't have the legacy of the Steelers or Green Bay or legacy period.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 11-15-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM

11,722 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Yeah... I think most fans locally where excited because they have never seen a QB in a Panther uniform do some of the things Cam is doing.

I don't see how anyone is surprised when they see the Cam love given the bust predictions and what he did his first week.

Look at the Andrew Luck hype... the guy hasn't played one NFL down and people were crowning him the best ever, they are still crowning him as we speak and he looked pedestrian against Oregon and USC in my opinion.

No one crowned Cam but they do have expectations moving forward that he will have to live up to or surpass. The media is always trying to find the next MJ, Woods, Montana...

Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,939,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Look at the Andrew Luck hype... the guy hasn't played one NFL down and people were crowning him the best ever, they are still crowning him as we speak and he looked pedestrian against Oregon and USC in my opinion.
He is the best prospect period. He was last year and this upcoming year. Whether he pans in the NFL, who knows...
As for Oregon and USC, did you even watch the games...
- @USC he went 72.5% with 3 TDs and his team scored 56.
- Oregon even with the two bad turnovers he still went 65.6% with 3 Touchdowns.

Lets not forget how he thrashed VT's top defense last bowl season...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
He is the best prospect period. He was last year and this upcoming year. Whether he pans in the NFL, who knows...

I wasn't sold then and definitely not after this year. I've watched many of his games including USC and Oregon. I don't see him performing much better than Cam or Dalton during his rookie season. Eventually, he might end-up being the better QB but I think the hype is losing steam. Good for him, the expectations were getting ridiculous and might allow him an opportunity to LEARN/GROW...the NFL is a brutal proving-ground, especially for a ballyhooed collegiate "all-everything" QB. Linebackers and DEs are licking chops right now.

He's very good and would never label him a bust after 2 preseason games.

I understand your comparisons but many times they don't translate. Cam beat Alabama and LSU...NFL minor league football defenses; Va Tech is child's play compared to those. If Luck/Stanford plays LSU or Bama in a bowl game and performs well, definitely elevates his stock.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 11-15-2011 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 05:56 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,660,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
LOL, but he wasn't even the first coming. Typical media, Cam was supposed to be a wasted pick, a bust, etc. etc. He shows he can actually play (and well) ....now the hype machine goes in full motion...pro bowl, etc...damn if you do and damn if you don't.

Real fans keep things in perspective, meaning give the guy a chance prior to calling him a bust, then hold-up on the Canton talk and useless comparisons. The Panthers are a decent team but are making too many mistakes in the penalty department and on special teams. The defense is riddled with injury and the offense is a work-in-progress.

In retrospect, the local media has a reason to get excited and overhyped, considering the past few years and performance. It's analagous to tossing a hobo a bologna sandwich, taste like filet mignon....LOL. Dude, we don't have the legacy of the Steelers or Green Bay or legacy period.
I have not read thru all the posts so possibly this has been briught up but no question Cam is an athlete but he has some very skilled players (Smith, RBs, TEs). Many first draft picks are on bad teams with no talent around them.
Signed...a 26 yr Browns PSL owner

Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I have not read thru all the posts so possibly this has been briught up but no question Cam is an athlete but he has some very skilled players (Smith, RBs, TEs). Many first draft picks are on bad teams with no talent around them.
Signed...a 26 yr Browns PSL owner
The offense hasn't really been the problem, however it was extremely lackluster the last game and even Tom Brady has bad game/games. The offense has been the bright spot and why so many people consider the Panthers even a threat to win.

Don't get it twisted, the Panthers were 2-14 last year and are not a good team. And as Bill Parcells once said, "you are what your record says you are". Every NFL team has skilled players, Titans, Vikings, etc...maybe you should've relayed that info to Luck regarding "ALL" the skilled players on the Panthers squad...he wasn't ducking us because of our high-caliber roster.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post

The USC game went into 3 overtimes and Luck had a pick 6 in that game. It was tied at 34 at the end of regulation. Are you really going to use the final score as proof Luck is legit? OK State put up 66 last week. It's obvious YOU didn't watch the USC game because a true football fan wouldn't use the final score of a triple overtime game as proof a QB can rack up points.

Luck went 65% in the Oregon game because he was dumping the ball off most of the night. It's obvious you didn't watch his game as well because Luck was pedestrian. Oregon isn't a great defensive team. They are more concerned with getting 12 possessions a half then stopping their opponents. He didn't have impressive throws and his arm isnt that strong.

Luck had a good game vs VTech. James Madison and Boise St beat Tech last year.

The problem with Andrew Luck is he hasn't faced tough competition and willed his team to victory. His schedule is ultra light this year and last Saturday was his chance to make a statement and he came up short.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 11-15-2011 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,939,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The USC game went into 3 overtimes and Luck had a pick 6 in that game. It was tied at 34 at the end of regulation. Are you really going to use the final score as proof Luck is legit? OK State put up 66 last week. It's obvious YOU didn't watch the USC game because a true football fan wouldn't use the final score of a triple overtime game as proof a QB can rack up points.
So that explains the 3 TDs by Luck in regulation (2 in air, 1 on ground)... That also explains being clutch in 3rd overtime converting on the 2pt conversion to win the game... 1 pick for averaging 72.5%... come on dude. Stretching much...

Quote:
Luck went 65% in the Oregon game because he was dumping the ball off most of the night. It's obvious you didn't watch his game as well because Luck was pedestrian. Oregon isn't a great defensive team. They are more concerned with getting 12 possessions a half then stopping their opponents. He didn't have impressive throws and his arm isnt that strong.
Oregon is a Top 40 defense. #6 in sacks. Far from being terrible. Again, pedestrian doesn't throw 65% with 3 TDs

Quote:
Luck had a good game vs VTech. James Madison and Boise St beat Tech last year.
Is that a jab to discredit what he did... JMU was a big loss for VT no doubt but losing to Boise St who has practically been undefeated for 4 years straight beating teams like Oregon (twice) and Oklahoma... both top teams of their conferences. You can include Georgia this year who will take the SEC East. Not a bad loss, see point margin. VT finished that year going undefeated in ACC play. Again, they were still a very top defense.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 PM

So now you are counting rushing TD's? You frowned on Cam when he rushed for TD's.

Oregon is a top 40 defense? This isn't music... top 40 isn't anything to brag about. The PAC 10 isn't what it used to be.

VTech won the ACC last year but is that anything to brag about? The ACC wasn't that good last year. It's not that good this year as well. Boise is a decent team but they beat Oklahoma in 2006... that was a long time ago.

You never answered my question, well maybe you did... did you watch Luck in both games? You keep bringing up the stats but what about film? How many NFL 15 yards outs did you see him complete? How good was he at looking the safety off? He was starin down WR's half the night.

The stats are nice but against NFL defenses I think we will see Luck have a rough time unless he gets the Sanchez treatment and has a good D. He would have been a bust if the Panthers drafted him last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte