U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Location: S. Charlotte
1,511 posts, read 2,883,490 times
Reputation: 675

Advertisements

FWIW: my coworker in Chicago is a big Cam Newton fan. It's not just for Carolina fans. If he is making an impact out of state that says a lot for him as a player (and for the Panthers as a team).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
 
6,272 posts, read 10,026,790 times
Reputation: 4724
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
FWIW: my coworker in Chicago is a big Cam Newton fan. It's not just for Carolina fans. If he is making an impact out of state that says a lot for him as a player (and for the Panthers as a team).
Same here. I honestly don't consider myself to be a Panthers' fan anymore. If Cam isn't playing, I'm not watching. IMO, he has already earned the right to say whatever he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,399 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Now if only we can get an NBA player of Cam's stature to come to the Bobcats for basketball.
They banked on Chris Paul (by clearing out stand up guys like Gerald Wallace) and he has expressed no interest in coming here. He wants a big market team. If the Bobcats don't develop that player, they won't be getting a high profile player. Based on draft history, this is a huge question mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle
Fact: Auburn/Cam = No NCAA violations. Maybe you and Olly Stone subscribe to the grassy knoll theory ("back and to the left"), but thats why this great country his commissions, investigation committees and juries. Cam/Auburn = Not Guilty or No NCAA Violations. Reggie Bush=Guilty stripped of Heisman, USC wins vacated.
Fun Fact: "The NCAA agreed with Auburn's self-report from Nov. 30, 2010, that Cecil Newton and the owner of a scouting service, Kenny Rogers, shopped Cam Newton's services to Mississippi State out of junior college, but that there was no evidence the player or Auburn knew about it."
NCAA finds no major violations against Auburn regarding Cam Newton - ESPN

So Newton doesn't talk to his father... yeah I find that hard to believe that Newton had no knowledge of this Trust me, it will come down.

I understand why the NCAA did what they did. They couldn't leave the main reason of Auburn success out of the NC game; that would lose too much money for the NCAA.

As for Bush, he didn't get nailed until 6+ years after he went pro. It was more to deal with the fact of OJ Mayo getting paid and Joe McKnight's "free to use" SUV around 2008, when the investigation dug in and finally dealed Bush. Though who knows if USC actually learned their lesson... Marc Tyler, i.e. 2011 RB, "joked" about getting paid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM
 
9,912 posts, read 9,305,263 times
Reputation: 8053
I like watching Cam play. When Jake or Clausen screwed up they did not have the ability to throw it off. Matt Moore was pitiful. If Cam screws up, he just keeps on trucking. As far as quarterbacks ... the Panthers have come a very long way from the Kerry Collins days. I don't think Kerry even attempted to feed the homeless.

This is not a game where everyone gets a little trophy and a high five at the end of the season. This is professional sports a money machine. Even though a rookie, Cam has thus far been a huge asset for the Panthers. In the NFL, it's all about winning.

He probably does have a big head now ... the media contributes to that along with adulation by the fans. He did break the NFL record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback last Sunday.

I don't really care what charity they support or how many homeless they feed as long as they win games ... that is what they are being paid to do ... it's their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 03:28 PM
 
158 posts, read 227,634 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I know that Cam Newton is enjoying fame and fortune during this first year with the Panthers. But between the press, anouncers, and Newton himself, I am tired of him. I wil not deny that he is doing an excellent job with the team, but I do not respect him as I think he is a total jerk and cares about nobody but himself. He has slammed his team in public and has begun his photo ops while supposedly serving a meal to the poor. The other volunteers that worked all day, not just an hour for publicity, did not get recognition.

He has forgotten that the only reason he didn't go to court for being a thief at Auburn University for was because he was the Heisman Trophey winner and thus protected.


He needs to be more humble and know that someday he will likely fall and nobody will be there to pick him up. This is just my opinion while still hoping that the Panthers continue on their winning streak if you can actually call it that.
I don't know about all that. Don't forget Reggie Bush had his Heisman trophy taken away. He's still innocent until proven otherwise.

I like Cam Newton. He's good young athletic QB. He can come off as "fake" with his cheezy smiles and sayings but I think that's just him, a corny kind of guy in a cool way. He's made Panthers football relevant again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Cam is a good quarterback and obviously has a lot of potential. I hope he succeeds here and grows into a respectable player with good character. The people who say character doesn't matter....well, your words speak volumes about yours. One huge thing that sports, especially pro sports, is lacking these days is true, honorable character. Why so many classless players that take the game to a negative personal level? Suh as an example. There are many more like him. Hopefully Cam will stay away from that lifestyle. You can still be a hard-hitting, awesome FB player, along with great character...after all, your role goes far beyond the field. If you don't see the value in personal character and class in all facets of life, you are sad.
That whole speech was sad. Does every musician you like have class and character? What about movie actors?

Spare me with the class and character requirements. It's football, I don't want Cam to raise my kids or date my sister, I need him to score TD's and keep me entertained for 3 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,773 posts, read 9,384,465 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
I don't know about all that. Don't forget Reggie Bush had his Heisman trophy taken away. He's still innocent until proven otherwise.

I like Cam Newton. He's good young athletic QB. He can come off as "fake" with his cheezy smiles and sayings but I think that's just him, a corny kind of guy in a cool way. He's made Panthers football relevant again.
Most of the people bashing Cam wanted him to fail on the field and since he didn't they have to find flaws in his person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: South Charlotte
403 posts, read 765,557 times
Reputation: 295
I really haven't cared for football up until this year and its because when I see someone really having fun doing what they are doing...then I want to join in and see what it is all about. Cam seems to bring the spirit of "fun" to the game. Yes, he does cheese it up when he does something good...and as a rookie...that is really to be expected. How else do you think he will learn humility....it comes with maturity. Right now it just seems like he is so excited to be playing "for" the team (Hey Guys..."I" can really play the game!!)....hopefully, later...he will be playing "with" the team (Hey Guys..."we" can do it).
As for the towel issue....I don't know why it is even an issue. It seems to me that the towel over the head offers him some security....and possibly helps him to focus on the game. Whatever he needs to do to focus...that is what he needs to do.
I feel like the charity issue is totally stupid....sure, there were other people there....but with a person such as Cam...even an hour will help bring more "focus" to the cause. If the others are there to get recognition for helping the cause.....then they shouldn't be there....that is not what charity is all about.
So people.....I will be sitting on my nice ole soft sofa....watching the Panthers mature in this next game. Yes, of course I want to see them WIN.....but I also want to see the "whole" team mature!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 PM
 
3,467 posts, read 3,151,777 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
They banked on Chris Paul (by clearing out stand up guys like Gerald Wallace) and he has expressed no interest in coming here. He wants a big market team. If the Bobcats don't develop that player, they won't be getting a high profile player. Based on draft history, this is a huge question mark.


Fun Fact: "The NCAA agreed with Auburn's self-report from Nov. 30, 2010, that Cecil Newton and the owner of a scouting service, Kenny Rogers, shopped Cam Newton's services to Mississippi State out of junior college, but that there was no evidence the player or Auburn knew about it."
NCAA finds no major violations against Auburn regarding Cam Newton - ESPN

So Newton doesn't talk to his father... yeah I find that hard to believe that Newton had no knowledge of this Trust me, it will come down.

I understand why the NCAA did what they did. They couldn't leave the main reason of Auburn success out of the NC game; that would lose too much money for the NCAA.

As for Bush, he didn't get nailed until 6+ years after he went pro. It was more to deal with the fact of OJ Mayo getting paid and Joe McKnight's "free to use" SUV around 2008, when the investigation dug in and finally dealed Bush. Though who knows if USC actually learned their lesson... Marc Tyler, i.e. 2011 RB, "joked" about getting paid...
Fact: I already know all of this so does the rest of the CFB world
Fact: Investigation closed: NCAA ends investigation into Cam Newton and Auburn | Jeff Schultz
Fact: You are wrong again as usual, get some rest dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Lake Norman area
763 posts, read 647,085 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Cam is a good quarterback and obviously has a lot of potential. I hope he succeeds here and grows into a respectable player with good character. The people who say character doesn't matter....well, your words speak volumes about yours. One huge thing that sports, especially pro sports, is lacking these days is true, honorable character. Why so many classless players that take the game to a negative personal level? Suh as an example. There are many more like him. Hopefully Cam will stay away from that lifestyle. You can still be a hard-hitting, awesome FB player, along with great character...after all, your role goes far beyond the field. If you don't see the value in personal character and class in all facets of life, you are sad.
Exactly. Problem is that if you express your personal feelings torard expectations or desires for one in a position of influence to be honorable, you are called a racist by Felt or some will make a stupid comment like Aristotle by saying you wouldn't feel the same if the player had red hair, etc. Character is secondary in society these days.

I like to see anyone in the public eye set an example and be a role model for the young that observe them. I am not a right-wing Christian or a racist for wanting this. If Newton were white, I would still be angered at the way he answered questions and made comments as a rookie and slamming his team. He isn't the only person on the team. I spend too many years in the armed forces as a team player. I can't accept the new kid on the block dissing others before being a full team member himself. Race has nothing to do with it, but a couple on here can't live without pulling the ole race card. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top