U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Cam had a bad 2nd half NOT game and he didn't give up but got tentative (2 ints in a row will do that).
I never said he was bad the whole game. I just said the second half was pretty pitiful and Newton was a big part of that.

Quote:
For some odd reason you believe that the opposing defense will improve but not Cam?
Cam's strength is his legs. He won't get better in that portion of the game since he is already pretty good. This is where defenses will adjust. Let's be for real: a good portion of the offense has worked due to his legs. Big plays have happened due to read option plays, which typically aren't used at all in the pros.

Quote:
Based on your logic, Ponder (who got yanked) and Dalton are gonna be in worst shape as well. Wait till defenses catch-up with all those guys and TJ Yates.
None of these guys are running quarterbacks. They rely on the runningbacks to help open the passing game (Peterson, Benson, Foster).

As for Ponder, Detroit had their number all game. Ponder was bad (was hurt coming into game) but the whole team wasn't doing well. Here is Detroit defensive numbers on that game... 4 FF, 3FR, 3 Int, 1 TD, 4 sacks. Note Minn was without #1 option Peterson.

Quote:
Panthers can't manage a 2nd-half lead because the offensive coord hasn't effectively incorporated the running game.
Funny we agree. I would take it a step further and say the run game should be used more throughout the game. I mean look just last game when Williams got a nice opening (from the line) he was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011
So many people talked trash about CAM after the draft, saying he was drafted too high, and now they look even more foolish than ever
I still think he was drafted too high as further proof each week when I point out other rookie qbs having good success. It's like a new one appears each week like Locker this week. The 2011 QB Draft class proved to be loaded. If we traded picks, we could have still got a good qb but could filled other holes as well...

Quote:
He is clearly going to wing rookie of the year.
He has the best chance for the win (now with Murray going down) but the fact that his team isn't winning could be a factor on why he loses; Dalton's team has won.
Newton 59.7% 15:16 4 Wins on the season yet set QB rushing TD record.
Dalton 59% 18:12 7 Wins on the season
It will be closer than you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 04:14 PM

11,780 posts, read 9,386,212 times
It's not the best team it's the best player... Cam is head and shoulders above the rest of the rookie class. Cam is a good runner but he has a cannon for an arm. It misses too much right now but that can be fixed. He throws off his back foot too often, tries to make every play and has passes that sail at times. Those are all easy to fix. Cam can extend plays and run from time to time... that isn't a bad thing. He has all the tools to be a good passer he just needs better game management and more run plays would help save him from himself.

This is also the OC's first year and Cam is a sponge when it comes to learning. No on expect him to be this good this soon...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM

185 posts, read 273,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
They are not a young team. 3/4 the starters are 5+ year veterans.
I meant more so in having to learn how to work with a new,rookie quarter back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
And Newton was noticably pissed ....I disagree with the idea of playing conservatively there...Atlanta was dead in the water... Of course the way they played in the second half I doubt it would have mattered anyway.
My, Falcons, mmmm they drive me crazy, you half to watch a Falcons game until the very end when the clock hits 0:00. They have the same issue Carolina does, learning how to hold a team and close a game out, among other things....anyway wrong part of the forum.

Quote:
Cam had a bad 2nd half NOT game and he didn't give up but got tentative (2 ints in a row will do that). For some odd reason you believe that the opposing defense will improve but not Cam? Based on your logic, Ponder (who got yanked) and Dalton are gonna be in worst shape as well. Wait till defenses catch-up with all those guys and TJ Yates. There really is no "logic" but I truly believe Cam will get much better. He pressed early in the 2nd-half with a 16-pt lead, a rookie mistake. He'll learn to take what they give you, and if nothing is there throw the ball away. Let the offensive coordinators make adjustments in the 3rd qtr and rely on the defense a few series. Tough in the Panthers situation because the defense has been extremely unrealiable but played well the 1st half. Played ok in the 2nd half considering Cam's INTs and short field for the Falcons.

The team did not give up, every game is a tale of 2-halfs and hats off to the Falcons, they regrouped with some great half time defensive adjustments and came out like a playoff team...the Bucs..not so much.

As I stated before, Cam doesn't use the best choice of words at times,neither have a LOT of players but folks seem to pick and choose who they demonize.
Completely agree 100% especially with the last sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
So many people talked trash about CAM after the draft, saying he was drafted too high, and now they look even more foolish than ever, still trying to say he's no good. He is clearly going to wing rookie of the year. You were wrong about him (and so was I) now get over it and stop trying to find new reasons to hate him. He is a BEAST. Period.
100% agree as well. Like I said there a pleanty of teams that would love to have Cam.....as he devolps and the team starts to gel, honestly I can see playoffs and dare I say a Super Bowl in Carolina's future.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Quote:
I never said he was bad the whole game. I just said the second half was pretty pitiful and Newton was a big part of that.

Cam's strength is his legs. He won't get better in that portion of the game since he is already pretty good. This is where defenses will adjust. Let's be for real: a good portion of the offense has worked due to his legs. Big plays have happened due to read option plays, which typically aren't used at all in the pros.

None of these guys are running quarterbacks. They rely on the runningbacks to help open the passing game (Peterson, Benson, Foster).

As for Ponder, Detroit had their number all game. Ponder was bad (was hurt coming into game) but the whole team wasn't doing well. Here is Detroit defensive numbers on that game... 4 FF, 3FR, 3 Int, 1 TD, 4 sacks. Note Minn was without #1 option Peterson.

Funny we agree. I would take it a step further and say the run game should be used more throughout the game. I mean look just last game when Williams got a nice opening (from the line) he was gone.

I still think he was drafted too high as further proof each week when I point out other rookie qbs having good success. It's like a new one appears each week like Locker this week. The 2011 QB Draft class proved to be loaded. If we traded picks, we could have still got a good qb but could filled other holes as well...

He has the best chance for the win (now with Murray going down) but the fact that his team isn't winning could be a factor on why he loses; Dalton's team has won.
Newton 59.7% 15:16 4 Wins on the season yet set QB rushing TD record.
Dalton 59% 18:12 7 Wins on the season
It will be closer than you think...
At this point, Newton is rookie of the year. The Panthers got the QB with the most upside, you had no IDEA which or what quarterback is/was going to successful in the league. You predicted Newton to be an immediate bust, yet your crystal ball indicated Dalton would be a success? Ok, DM me next week's powerball numbers.

QBs who used their legs, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Michael Vick, etc...all stayed in the league for quite a while and ran the entire time.

Cam will get better at reading defenses, minimizing INTs, etc...its called, EXPERIENCE!....Did you not see Peytons, Troy Aikmans, Elways, etc numbers their rookie year? I can resend if you like or refuse to dig up since you love to compare stats.

Cam's strength is his strong arm, something you refuse to see...he will rely less on his running ability over the years. Cam has passed for over 3500+ yards in 13 games, yet his strength is his runnng ability? Repeat 3500+ yards...what a bust.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,946,774 times
Quote:
At this point, Newton is rookie of the year. The Panthers got the QB with the most upside, you had no IDEA which or what quarterback is/was going to successful in the league. You predicted Newton to be an immediate bust, yet your crystal ball indicated Dalton would be a success? Ok, DM me next week's powerball numbers.

QBs who used their legs, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young, Michael Vick, etc...all stayed in the league for quite a while and ran the entire time.

Cam will get better at reading defenses, minimizing INTs, etc...its called, EXPERIENCE!....Did you not see Peytons, Troy Aikmans, Elways, etc numbers their rookie year? I can resend if you like or refuse to dig up since you love to compare stats.

Cam's strength is his strong arm, something you refuse to see...he will rely less on his running ability over the years. Cam has passed for over 3500+ yards in 13 games, yet his strength is his runnng ability? Repeat 3500+ yards...what a bust.
Again, I haven't called him a bust for many weeks now and I also referenced him as the front runner. All I said was the vote would be closer and potentially someone else could win.

Vick has a strong arm but you wouldn't call that his strength. You would say his legs/elusiveness is his strength. Newton has a similiar style. Difference is that Newton has more power in his run vs the vision Vick has. He uses those legs not only to bust runs which he has 10+ 11+ yard runs this season. He averages 5.2 YPC. These same legs also help him escape tackles/extend plays in the backfield, where typical QBs take sacks/throw the ball away.

As was stated by another poster earlier, yardage this year by all QBs are up. Notice Newton's numbers have gone down as the season has gone on. He hasn't broke 300 yards since Week 4.

As for the other guys you mentioned, who cares. Some from different eras. We are talking about Newton and his class. Comparing apples to apples. Again, Newton 15:16, Dalton 18:12. They are both rookie learning a NFL offense for the first time. Newton is obviously a rookie and yes these numbers potentially could look different next season. We will see what comes around next year.

In other news, a new kicker has been signed.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM

It doesn't matter if all QB's yardages are up, it still shows Cam keeping pace with NFL QB's production.

Funny how we need to look at next years stats to see if he improves. It's about time you admitted he will be around next year... LOL.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,152,457 times
Quote:
Again, I haven't called him a bust for many weeks now and I also referenced him as the front runner. All I said was the vote would be closer and potentially someone else could win.

Vick has a strong arm but you wouldn't call that his strength. You would say his legs/elusiveness is his strength. Newton has a similiar style. Difference is that Newton has more power in his run vs the vision Vick has. He uses those legs not only to bust runs which he has 10+ 11+ yard runs this season. He averages 5.2 YPC. These same legs also help him escape tackles/extend plays in the backfield, where typical QBs take sacks/throw the ball away.

As was stated by another poster earlier, yardage this year by all QBs are up. Notice Newton's numbers have gone down as the season has gone on. He hasn't broke 300 yards since Week 4.

As for the other guys you mentioned, who cares. Some from different eras. We are talking about Newton and his class. Comparing apples to apples. Again, Newton 15:16, Dalton 18:12. They are both rookie learning a NFL offense for the first time. Newton is obviously a rookie and yes these numbers potentially could look different next season. We will see what comes around next year.

In other news, a new kicker has been signed.
Newton's numbers have gone down somewhat with no 300+ yards since week 4 but only one sub-200+ yardage game and solid yardage production. Consistent enough to win, but Panther's can't close the deal. A good balance is 250 pass and 150-200 rush. Another advantage Newton has over Vick is height. I wasn't totally sold at first but after watching him this season, he has all the tools (ability) to be a perenial top 10 QB in the NFL if he improves accuracy and game situation awareness (throw the ball away, not to other team).

I think it'll be a close vote and will come down to how they finish up in the final 3 games of the season.

New kicker, now? It's too late, might as well ride it out with the Mare.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM

wow... vs the NFL's #1 D on the road.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,028,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
wow... vs the NFL's #1 D on the road.
Still not too crazy about this team, but Cam is nice!!!! No questions about that!!! Not sure what the stats were, but it seems as though the team finally got some yards on the ground. Also, the D stepped up three (or four) times in the red zone; holding Houston to two field goals and we got 2 picks at the goal line. WOW!!!! In time, this team might do some things. 2012 could be interesting.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,625,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Still not too crazy about this team, but Cam is nice!!!! No questions about that!!! Not sure what the stats were, but it seems as though the team finally got some yards on the ground. Also, the D stepped up three (or four) times in the red zone; holding Houston to two field goals and we got 2 picks at the goal line. WOW!!!! In time, this team might do some things. 2012 could be interesting.
Really? Given the amount of talent sitting on IR for the Panthers right now I'm pretty ecstatic at the moment. Not necessarily just because of the win today but the progress I've seen since last year.

I'm excited to see who the Panthers can get in the draft as well as maybe bring in a free agent or two to plug a few holes we got on defense. 2012 could definitely be very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte