U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,143 posts, read 2,610,570 times
Reputation: 1660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Can't wait until Newton severly disappoints you. The guy only played one true year of college football in a system where he ran himself more than he threw a pass. He has swagger which he will lose after the first game when he is drilled from an unblocked LB like Clausen/Moore felt play after play.
Still waiting. Oh, that first game was a nice one. This is fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
 
3,450 posts, read 3,131,572 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Still waiting. Oh, that first game was a nice one. This is fun!
Yea, most of the naysayers have disappeared. Not even going to back track through the thread, way too much material....shooting fish in a barrel. On the topic of character flaws, it is a concern when one cannot admit to being WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 PM
 
6,270 posts, read 9,990,932 times
Reputation: 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Yea, most of the naysayers have disappeared. Not even going to back track through the thread, way too much material....shooting fish in a barrel. On the topic of character flaws, it is a concern when one cannot admit to being WRONG.
In his/her defense, no one (not even the Cam supporters) expected Cam to be this good this soon. I expected him to be INT-happy (which he is at times, but that will pass), but I CERTAINLY DID NOT expect him to be breaking records passing the ball. Let's be honest here folks. Cam's passing has been a pleasant surprise for us all (fans and haters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Benson averages 3.9 YPC.
Williams averages 5.1 YPC.
Stewart averages 4.7 YPC.


Again, it is about the Team Success. But congrats to Newton for breaking about every Rookie record in a season without OTAs. Feel better?



Really?
I can do that too. 4th - 13 rushes for 68 yards, 1 TD
1st and 10 - D. Williams rushed to the left for 2 yard gain
1st and 10 - D. Williams rushed to the right for 5 yard gain
2nd and 5 - D. Williams rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
1st and 10 - D. Williams rushed up the middle for 24 yard touchdown. O. Mare made PAT

1st and 10 - J. Stewart rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain
2nd and 9 - J. Stewart rushed to the left for 1 yard gain
1st and 10 - J. Stewart rushed to the left for 2 yard gain
1st and 10 - J. Stewart rushed up the middle for 12 yard gain
1st and 10 - J. Stewart rushed up the middle for no gain
2nd and 10 - D. Williams rushed to the left for 8 yard gain
1st and 10 - D. Williams rushed to the left for 3 yard gain
2nd and 7 - D. Williams rushed to the right for 3 yard gain
3rd and 4 - D. Williams rushed up the middle for 6 yard gain

So 13 rushes to 3 passes and 3 Newton rushes...
Grow up dude... you clearly said Newton did nothing in the 4th quarter and I provided 6 plays where he moved the chains.

Stop acting like a child and admit Cam helped the team win.

and you are real late on the Benson RB stats... when other rookies win you post their stats or the W but when Cam wins it's everyone else who gets credit. Cam had 2 TD passes and played a great game. I know it hurts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
In his/her defense, no one (not even the Cam supporters) expected Cam to be this good this soon. I expected him to be INT-happy (which he is at times, but that will pass), but I CERTAINLY DID NOT expect him to be breaking records passing the ball. Let's be honest here folks. Cam's passing has been a pleasant surprise for us all (fans and haters).
True... I don't think anyone was thinking he would come out with 400 yards and break Peyton's rookie record but if you go back and read this thread there were a few fans who didn't doubt Cam's arm.

I know the INT's seem high but if you look at Aikmen, Elway, Manning, etc in their first year you will see similar or worse TD to INT ratios.

Haters or detractors are using an unrealistic barometer when they look at Dalton, Ponder and other QB's who were selected after him. Being selected #1 overall puts you on the worst team and that makes for heavy lifting in the 1st year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,938,281 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Sometimes I like to read back through this thread and laugh.
Vision and Accuracy were questioned...
- #19 in passing effeciency (note Josh Freeman and Tarvaris Jackson have a better percentage)
- 16 inteceptions... this past weekend finally got above a negative passing td to interception ratio...

O-Line... Still a problem. Cam is flushed from the pocket a good amount. Runningback lanes open occasionly i.e. runningbacks/cam really have to earn their rushing yards.

Second WR... Not as much an issue as it once was. LaFell looks solid enough. The TEs provide more eligible targets. Though the two guys I mentioned looked like this...
AJ Green - 1006 yards, 7 TDs in 13 games
Julio Jones - 755 yards, 5 TDs, 8.4 YAC (highest amoung top NFL receivers) in 11 games
Was I wrong...

Quote:
Still waiting. Oh, that first game was a nice one. This is fun!
Where was his swagger during the losses midseason... he blew off interviews, hid under a towel, threw his teammates under the bus, etc... So while wrong about his arm strength, the swagger comment held for the most part until the recent string of wins against league bad teams Indy and TB, when it came back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeltDesigner
and you are real late on the Benson RB stats... when other rookies win you post their stats or the W but when Cam wins it's everyone else who gets credit. Cam had 2 TD passes and played a great game.
He played a good first half. I stated it a couple comments back and even talked about how good the trick play was, which Riveria recently confirmed (mentioning inspiration from Lil Giants). He has played a great first half for a couple games now. The offense along with him just typically shutsdown after half. So the credit was given where I saw the credit to be given...

Quote:
you clearly said Newton did nothing in the 4th quarter and I provided 6 plays where he moved the chains
And you clearly credited him for the fourth quarter and I provided you 13 plays where he wasn't involved (outside a handoff) which resulted in the only Panther score in the second half to hold off Texans comback (where I credited the defense).

Quote:
read this thread there were a few fans who didn't doubt Cam's arm
Never questioned that he could throw a deep ball, i.e. arm strength, which he can. I questioned Cam's passing vision and accuracy, which is reflected in his interceptions and his #19 passing efficiency.

Quote:
Haters or detractors are using an unrealistic barometer when they look at Dalton, Ponder and other QB's who were selected after him. Being selected #1 overall puts you on the worst team and that makes for heavy lifting in the 1st year.
Cincy had the #4 pick (and skipped picking a QB with it... interesting), which also doesn't make them a great team (only 4 wins). Minnesota was a 6 win team who had to find a replacement for both slots are QB (Favre - retired, Jackson - left for Seattle); in other words, a team that got that much worse.

Now the other two guys (Yates and Locker) got put on decent/good teams. Notice neither started the season as the starter but as the season has gone... both have taken over and still have been successful.

Are expectations unrealistic? No. Cincy went from 4 wins to 8 wins. 2 more games left, which 2 wins could put them in the playoffs; both are at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
 
3,450 posts, read 3,131,572 times
Reputation: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Vision and Accuracy were questioned...
- #19 in passing effeciency (note Josh Freeman and Tarvaris Jackson have a better percentage)
- 16 inteceptions... this past weekend finally got above a negative passing td to interception ratio...

O-Line... Still a problem. Cam is flushed from the pocket a good amount. Runningback lanes open occasionly i.e. runningbacks/cam really have to earn their rushing yards.

Second WR... Not as much an issue as it once was. LaFell looks solid enough. The TEs provide more eligible targets. Though the two guys I mentioned looked like this...
AJ Green - 1006 yards, 7 TDs in 13 games
Julio Jones - 755 yards, 5 TDs, 8.4 YAC (highest amoung top NFL receivers) in 11 games
Was I wrong...


Where was his swagger during the losses midseason... he blew off interviews, hid under a towel, threw his teammates under the bus, etc... So while wrong about his arm strength, the swagger comment held for the most part until the recent string of wins against league bad teams Indy and TB, when it came back...


......
Cam never lost any swagger, he participated in interviews (how else could you claim throwing team under the bus unless he confronted the media) and doesn't hide under a towel. Cam simply told players everbody's gotta step-up their game and the team seems to have responded.

Interesting you mentioned being a Free Shoes U grad/fan. All 3 Florida college football teams (Miami, FSU and UF) don't lack for players with swagger.....Florida State and Miami are swagger U, yet you have issues with Cam displaying some swagger.

You are right about one thing...Minnesota still needs a QB, don't even want to imagine them with Cam. Yates and Locker succesful? whoa nellie, 2-3 games in...let the defenses do a little game planning against them (as you claim will happen to Cam).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Vision and Accuracy were questioned...
- #19 in passing effeciency (note Josh Freeman and Tarvaris Jackson have a better percentage)
- 16 inteceptions... this past weekend finally got above a negative passing td to interception ratio...
Cam is top 10 in passing yards, average per catch and yards per game and you reach for passing efficiency? LOL, ok, that will get better, what was the passer rating of Manning, Elway and Steve Young???


Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Where was his swagger during the losses midseason... he blew off interviews, hid under a towel, threw his teammates under the bus, etc... So while wrong about his arm strength, the swagger comment held for the most part until the recent string of wins against league bad teams Indy and TB, when it came back...
Who has swagger after losses? People would say he didn't care if he was smiling and joking after a loss. I would love to know why so many Cam haters focus on the towel over the head.... he did it at Auburn too and they were undefeated. Maybe the guy likes having a towel on his head on the sideline? I guess he should Tebow all game on the sideline to win fans over. Oh, and they beat a pretty good Texans team last week too. That team beat Andy Dalton's a week earlier....



Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
And you clearly credited him for the fourth quarter and I provided you 13 plays where he wasn't involved (outside a handoff) which resulted in the only Panther score in the second half to hold off Texans comback (where I credited the defense).
..and Cam had a 26 yard pass to Shockey on the play before the TD run but I guess that doesn't count because he threw it to someone else and didn't catch it himself and run it in... lord knows Cam has to do it all and then some to get positive credit in a win.

They only needed one score in the second half because Cam had an awesome first half. I still have no idea why you keep bringing up the 4th quarter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Cincy had the #4 pick (and skipped picking a QB with it... interesting), which also doesn't make them a great team (only 4 wins). Minnesota was a 6 win team who had to find a replacement for both slots are QB (Favre - retired, Jackson - left for Seattle); in other words, a team that got that much worse.

Now the other two guys (Yates and Locker) got put on decent/good teams. Notice neither started the season as the starter but as the season has gone... both have taken over and still have been successful.

Are expectations unrealistic? No. Cincy went from 4 wins to 8 wins. 2 more games left, which 2 wins could put them in the playoffs; both are at home.
Carolina has gone from 2 wins to 5 wins with 2 winnable games left. Tampa sucks, sorry... and New Orleans will probably rest their starters but hey, a W is a W.

I want Dalton to win out to help my Steelers but I don't have faith in him because Baltimore needs that game and Dalton hasn't shown me he can beat the 2 best teams in the AFC North.

What makes Yates and Locker successful? Yates was outplayed by Cam and Locker hasn't even played a full game yet but these guys are successful? LOL

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 12-20-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,938,281 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Cam never lost any swagger, he participated in interviews (how else could you claim throwing team under the bus unless he confronted the media) and doesn't hide under a towel. Cam simply told players everbody's gotta step-up their game and the team seems to have responded.
An article about one of those instances... Cam Newton turns from sad to mad | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/16/2698714/cam-newton-turns-from-sad-to-mad.html - broken link)

And yes the more I think about it, you are right about the swagger. The swagger only removed from one or two games. I forgot he was a lion...

Quote:
Interesting you mentioned being a Free Shoes U grad/fan. All 3 Florida college football teams (Miami, FSU and UF) don't lack for players with swagger.....Florida State and Miami are swagger U, yet you have issues with Cam displaying some swagger.
I always love the Free Shoes comment. An action made 12 years ago that is done at every top 25 school. The difference is Florida as a state actually calls out the bull. Ask your boy Newton about "his" laptop... he was thrown out of Florida for lifting that. In case you weren't aware, a laptop costs more than the $500 worth of stuff from Dillards that Warrick received.

PS Our school isn't anywhere close to swagger U, even after our two championships. Now for Miami, it is their tag. I still remember the day Kellen Winslow referred to football there as if he is soldier in war. lol.

Quote:
You are right about one thing...Minnesota still needs a QB, don't even want to imagine them with Cam. Yates and Locker succesful? whoa nellie, 2-3 games in...let the defenses do a little game planning against them (as you claim will happen to Cam).
Minnesota needs an offensive line and some receivers first.

As for the other two, fair enough. Since both should be starters next year, we will see the defense theory; just like we will see with Newton.

Though... Locker has only played what a quarter or two in each of the last two games. He almost beat NO singlehandlely and last week didn't come in until Indy was already up from a bunch (since Hasselbeck threw 2 picks).
Yates on the other hand, while not the best of the class, still finds a way to win i.e. 3-1. Example: See Game Winning drive with zero TOs and 2 minutes to go against Cincy last week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Cam never lost any swagger, he participated in interviews (how else could you claim throwing team under the bus unless he confronted the media) and doesn't hide under a towel. Cam simply told players everbody's gotta step-up their game and the team seems to have responded.

Interesting you mentioned being a Free Shoes U grad/fan. All 3 Florida college football teams (Miami, FSU and UF) don't lack for players with swagger.....Florida State and Miami are swagger U, yet you have issues with Cam displaying some swagger.

You are right about one thing...Minnesota still needs a QB, don't even want to imagine them with Cam. Yates and Locker succesful? whoa nellie, 2-3 games in...let the defenses do a little game planning against them (as you claim will happen to Cam).

At this rate Ryan Mallet is the ROY since he is undefeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top