U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,370,450 times
Reputation: 5239

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
An article about one of those instances... Cam Newton turns from sad to mad | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/16/2698714/cam-newton-turns-from-sad-to-mad.html - broken link)

And yes the more I think about it, you are right about the swagger. The swagger only removed from one or two games. I forgot he was a lion...


I always love the Free Shoes comment. An action made 12 years ago that is done at every top 25 school. The difference is Florida as a state actually calls out the bull. Ask your boy Newton about "his" laptop... he was thrown out of Florida for lifting that. In case you weren't aware, a laptop costs more than the $500 worth of stuff from Dillards that Warrick received.

PS Our school isn't anywhere close to swagger U, even after our two championships. Now for Miami, it is their tag. I still remember the day Kellen Winslow referred to football there as if he is soldier in war. lol.


Minnesota needs an offensive line and some receivers first.

As for the other two, fair enough. Since both should be starters next year, we will see the defense theory; just like we will see with Newton.

Though... Locker has only played what a quarter or two in each of the last two games. He almost beat NO singlehandlely and last week didn't come in until Indy was already up from a bunch (since Hasselbeck threw 2 picks).
Yates on the other hand, while not the best of the class, still finds a way to win i.e. 3-1. Example: See Game Winning drive with zero TOs and 2 minutes to go against Cincy last week
Yates isn't starting next year unless Schaub retires or gets traded. Yates has 3 TD's and 3 INT's... 4 fumbles (2 lost) and had a 56 passer rating at home vs the Panthers. He is 2-1 as a starter. He found a way to win a game. Good for him but you sure make legends out of these other QB's to make Cam look pedestrian.

The tape on Locker will be pretty short...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,671 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Cam is top 10 in passing yards, average per catch and yards per game and you reach for passing efficiency? LOL, ok, that will get better, what was the passer rating of Manning, Elway and Steve Young???
Reaching. Let's compare shall we.
The guys above and below Cam in total passing attempts are Tony Romo and Big Ben. Let's check out their passing effeciency shall we... Romo 65.6% (#4 in efficiency) and Ben 63.6% (#5 in efficiency). Is this reaching too...

Fun Fact: The top yardage guys all hit over 60% passing effeciency. Brees the top dog in passing attempts has the highest passing effeciency in the NFL.

Quote:
I guess he should Tebow all game on the sideline to win fans over.
Interesting you bring this dude up since he is similiar player like Newton (style of play). The guy that controls Sportscenter now since he and his team pull miracles in the fourth, a time when the Panthers seem to give away games (both offensively and defensively).

Quote:
They only needed one score in the second half because Cam had an awesome first half. I still have no idea why you keep bringing up the 4th quarter.

He has had some good first halfs all season and how has the team done... check the W/L. Offense goes stagnant in second half, Defense eventually gives up scores, games lost. It has been the pattern all season.

Quote:
Carolina has gone from 2 wins to 5 wins with 2 winnable games left. Tampa sucks, sorry... and New Orleans will probably rest their starters but hey, a W is a W.

Not denying my team is bad but so are the Panthers. I wouldn't discount them in that game as it could go either way. And yes, NO will come at a good time since starters could be benched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,671 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
At this rate Ryan Mallet is the ROY since he is undefeated.
If there was a clapping icon, I would use it. That was funny. Who knows we might see him in a week if Brady sits out final game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,370,450 times
Reputation: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Reaching. Let's compare shall we.
The guys above and below Cam in total passing attempts are Tony Romo and Big Ben. Let's check out their passing effeciency shall we... Romo 65.6% (#4 in efficiency) and Ben 63.6% (#5 in efficiency). Is this reaching too...

Fun Fact: The top yardage guys all hit over 60% passing effeciency. Brees the top dog in passing attempts has the highest passing effeciency in the NFL.


Interesting you bring this dude up since he is similiar player like Newton (style of play). The guy that controls Sportscenter now since he and his team pull miracles in the fourth, a time when the Panthers seem to give away games (both offensively and defensively).


He has had some good first halfs all season and how has the team done... check the W/L. Offense goes stagnant in second half, Defense eventually gives up scores, games lost. It has been the pattern all season.


Not denying my team is bad but so are the Panthers. I wouldn't discount them in that game as it could go either way. And yes, NO will come at a good time since starters could be benched.
So Cam isn't in the same league as QB's like Big Ben and Drew Bees... fair enough.

I say reaching because I can't find a passing efficiency list when I google it? It's an advanced stat that is one of many used to rate players. Anyways.. Cam is 15th in passer rating and that isn't too shabby and he leads Dalton in just about every category etc TD's and he is only 1 behind him.

I know Cam has room to improve and taking the ball out of his hands and eating a few passes but dude.... it's a team game. He can't play D and he doesn't call the plays. It's a rookie QB and a rookie coaching staff. Half time adjustments need to improve and last week was a giant step forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 PM
 
3,462 posts, read 3,146,736 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
An article about one of those instances... Cam Newton turns from sad to mad | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/10/16/2698714/cam-newton-turns-from-sad-to-mad.html - broken link)

And yes the more I think about it, you are right about the swagger. The swagger only removed from one or two games. I forgot he was a lion...


I always love the Free Shoes comment. An action made 12 years ago that is done at every top 25 school. The difference is Florida as a state actually calls out the bull. Ask your boy Newton about "his" laptop... he was thrown out of Florida for lifting that. In case you weren't aware, a laptop costs more than the $500 worth of stuff from Dillards that Warrick received.

PS Our school isn't anywhere close to swagger U, even after our two championships. Now for Miami, it is their tag. I still remember the day Kellen Winslow referred to football there as if he is soldier in war. lol.


Minnesota needs an offensive line and some receivers first.

As for the other two, fair enough. Since both should be starters next year, we will see the defense theory; just like we will see with Newton.

Though... Locker has only played what a quarter or two in each of the last two games. He almost beat NO singlehandlely and last week didn't come in until Indy was already up from a bunch (since Hasselbeck threw 2 picks).
Yates on the other hand, while not the best of the class, still finds a way to win i.e. 3-1. Example: See Game Winning drive with zero TOs and 2 minutes to go against Cincy last week
Dude, I like the idea of Free Shoes U and a little swagger back at FSU, gotten a little vanilla and with one more lost to Wake Forest, that program will have officially moved into the land of mediocrity...hell, 2 of ya boys just got arrested this weekend: Two FSU Players Arrested Over The Weekend | SI Tracking Blog

Cam should've transferred to Free Shoes U: get em right here folks, stolen laptops for a $1, plus other electronic devices/accessories (ipods).

Great article (sad-to-mad), he should've been mad (like a lion), stay mad as hell Cam! I guess Brady, etc. are always polite, nice and media friendly after a series of losses..

No my friend, Minne-sco-ta needs a QB....

BTW, didn't Cam and co beat Yates w/2 picks and no heroics against our paultry defense....am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 PM
 
3,462 posts, read 3,146,736 times
Reputation: 3432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Reaching. Let's compare shall we.
The guys above and below Cam in total passing attempts are Tony Romo and Big Ben. Let's check out their passing effeciency shall we... Romo 65.6% (#4 in efficiency) and Ben 63.6% (#5 in efficiency). Is this reaching too...

Fun Fact: The top yardage guys all hit over 60% passing effeciency. Brees the top dog in passing attempts has the highest passing effeciency in the NFL.


....
As usual, there a few caveats with your numbers that need to be emphasized.

1) These guys have been in the league for a while so I expect their accuracy and decision-making to play a role in a better % completion rate. Meaning, they know when to deliver/check-down to safety valve...get the 3-5 yards, move on to next play.

2) This offense is extremely vertical, one of the reasons for the large yardage gains. refer to the attached data link from NFL stats:

Advanced NFL Stats - Player Statistics by Position

Note, Cam's pass attempts are ~27.2% deep throws or pass attempts > 15 yards. Only Eli, Vick and Tebow have greater % attempts at that distance; Eli's % completion rate is right at 61%, Vick at 59.9% or about the same as Cams. Tebow is at 48.7%.

None of the other QBs aim that deep as often; (> 15 yards) Dalton attempts roughly 19.3%, Brees at 16%, Romo at 19%, Brady at 18.7%, etc.

Also it ranks QBs based on some funky production formula (win probability index) where Cam is ranked 11th (Dalton is 29th). This doesn't mean Dalton is a bad QB, but how important that QB is to the team for securing a win.

That aside, if Cam can improve the TD/INT ratio next year with a slightly better defense, definitely a playoff team.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 12-20-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Reputation: 1670
So now you are to the point of comparing Cam to Big Ben and Romo to try and prove you are right? Seriously lame.

You are gonna make me go back through this thread for more of your "genius" aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,621,986 times
Reputation: 1670
F$U definitely lost it's swagger to the likes of WFU among others. Oh how the mighty have fallen. (them and Miami)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,944,671 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
it's a team game. He can't play D and he doesn't call the plays. It's a rookie QB and a rookie coaching staff. Half time adjustments need to improve and last week was a giant step forward.
If you look into my posts, I have blame multiple areas for the losses; not just Newton. It is a team game and multiple areas have caused the team to do so poorly in second half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAristotle
Dude, I like the idea of Free Shoes U and a little swagger back at FSU, gotten a little vanilla and with one more lost to Wake Forest, that program will have officially moved into the land of mediocrity...hell, 2 of ya boys just got arrested this weekend
If AP Top 25 is mediocrity, I will take it. If that is mediocrity, then I ask what are the other 95 teams?

As for the players... one is a redshirt junior DB (graduate), who is lucky to even see field, since he plays behind some of the best DBs in the country. The other is a redshirt, who my guess, potentially will be cut. Any guesses where he came from... oh yeah MIAMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHowl
So now you are to the point of comparing Cam to Big Ben and Romo to try and prove you are right? Seriously lame.
Actually I didn't. I used them to support a passing efficiency rating comment i.e. a rebuttal. But you should have already known that...

Quote:
F$U definitely lost it's swagger to the likes of WFU among others. Oh how the mighty have fallen. (them and Miami)
Do you even watch college football because you should know that FSU is AP #25. We have been that way since around 2002. But again you should have already known that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Planet Earth
7,218 posts, read 8,231,053 times
Reputation: 4907
So if Cam Newton wins the ROY, he will join Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner as the second athlete playing in NC to win that honor in his respective sport for 2011. Not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top