U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,068,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
What other subdivisions did you look at besides Briarcrest?

and take yantosh's post with a grain of salt... that poster is quickly turning into our resident forum alarmist. WOOP WOOP - look at THIS! Meanwhile I've seen no indication that they even live in or around Charlotte.
I think that's a little harsh. That shooting did happen, though obviously it was a random act of violence (attempted robbery), and can happen anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:06 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,374,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapycat39 View Post
Hi! I too am relocating thissummmer with my family to Waxhaw. My kids are Middle School and High School. I too need my nerves calmed. I know this is of no help to you except that you are not alone and I feel a little better reading your post knowing I am not alone.

Thanks!
"Waxhaw" as determined by the post office is very different than the Village of Waxhaw. The post office has most of Western Union County in Waxhaw if they're not covered by the Matthews, Weddington, or Marvin areas.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 AM

33 posts, read 46,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Possible for a doubling of a tax hike, yes.

Probable, no.

MikeyKid was spot on. You would be living under a rock if you didn't think taxes would go up. They will. I remember an article from the disturber 3 yrs ago or so saying our taxes would be higher than Meck in 5 yrs. I don't take the paper's prediction w/much seriousness.
I highly doubt people didn't think taxes weren't going to go up in Union County, but I highly disagree with you that people would have expected the talk of the possiblity that they would increase by double or triple. That is crazy, and it will have a huge effect on the Union County housing market if it happens. As far as it happening, time will tell, but Union County has some major issues going forward with revenue.
Maybe the Charlotte Observer will be correct in their prediction that Union County's property taxes will be higher than Meck within 5 years. We shall see.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:28 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhousing View Post
I highly doubt people didn't think taxes weren't going to go up in Union County, but I highly disagree with you that people would have expected the talk of the possiblity that they would increase by double or triple. That is crazy, and it will have a huge effect on the Union County housing market if it happens. As far as it happening, time will tell, but Union County has some major issues going forward with revenue.
Maybe the Charlotte Observer will be correct in their prediction that Union County's property taxes will be higher than Meck within 5 years. We shall see.
Like I said, if you followed local news, the disturber had a similar article 3 years or so.

No one can accurately predict how much they will go up because there are many factors involved (ie political/how much commercial infrastructure comes in/etc).....

We'll see....

Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM

72 posts, read 161,546 times
As someone who was born and grew up in Union County (I don't live there now but almost all of my family does), it really is a beautiful place. Outstanding school system- one of the best in the state. And yes, taxes will have to inevitably go up there some to pay for the schools and infrastructure needed after a decade of explosive growth.

There is no Free Lunch Forever! And as someone who grew up in the northeastern part (New Salem area) of the county, which is still overwhelmingly rural, it ticks me off when people there move into Union County and then pitch a fit anytime the issue of raising taxes comes up. And yes, it has been several years in the making.

My family's taxes have went up along with the rest of the county, even though all of the growth is in Western Union County. And for the most part, we know it is in the best interest of the future of Union County, especially in terms of education. But we still have to carry part of the burden.

Long term, if you want your kids in a good school system, you are going to have to pay to a certain extent. There were 5 high schools in Union County 12 years ago when I graduated. Now there are 11 high schools. That kind of growth (62% over the past decade) doesn't come without some cost. TAXES WILL GO UP, and they should go up some. They have to for Union County to continue to prosper.

Union County is a great place to live. But you shouldn't move there thinking you are long term going to get some huge break on taxes. Move there because your kids are going to be in great schools and you will live in a beautiful area.

And yes, I definitely still have a vested interest in Union County taxes. I own 40 acres of land I have been trying unsuccessfully thus far to get into a farm program. And my taxes have doubled since 2004. They are still not that unreasonable. But it really isn't fair for the people of the "other" Union County to carry but so much of the tax burden.

This is in no way anti-Union County. I love Union County more I suspect than the majority of people who will ever live there. But love it for what it is, not for cheap taxes. You will be making a great investment in your children's future by moving to Union County, but no investment like that will be free.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 AM

123 posts, read 245,865 times
Very well said joethoma!! I couldn't agree more and I am a newbie!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM

140 posts, read 201,639 times
I would warn you that Briarcrest can definitely smell like chicken ... droppings when the wind blows right. It's surrounded by big Tyson farms.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,235,522 times
OP - To calm your nerves in regarding schools - as posted by joethoma, Union County schools are among the best in the state. Based on this website, North Carolina State Districts - NC School District Rankings ranks Union County # 43 out of 179 (their ranking method - Ranking FAQ ).
That number is a little misleading though, as many of the higher ranked “districts” on this list are charter schools (most of which are elementary schools). I counted Union ranked as # 13 out of the public systems on the list. Of the 12 public systems ahead of Union, all have an enrollment of less that 10,000 except Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools (11,000). Based on this website, Union is the 6th largest district in the state (enrollment 39,000).

And more good news on Cutherbertson High:

Union County principal best in N.C. | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/06/2273812/union-county-principal-best-in.html - broken link)

I believe Briarcrest is in the New Town/Cuthbertson cluster.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 8,068 times
Yes.
Union county is great.
I moved to Charlotte from Atlanta over a year ago, and just purchased a home in union county.

The traffic , although people in Charlotte say is bad, is actually great.
I can drive 17 miles to get to work in uptown and it takes me 30 minutes.

And 45 to get home. Beats the crap out of 1.5 hours in atlanta.
The development in charlotte isnt like Atlanta, it is far more controled, granted , Atlanta has shopping and strip malls on very intersection. In union county you have to drive 5 -10 miles to find everything you are looking for. Fine with me.

Great parks off of McKee.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:57 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,995,769 times
I moved from South FL to Waxhaw about 8 months ago. I could not be happier with my decision. I love the natural beauty of the area, the quaintness of the town and the friendly people. I live by the JAARS community, even further out than it. I have to drive at least 20 minutes anywhere but its worh it. I work in uptown Charlotte, so it is a hefty commute. But i love my drive up til about 485 (I tkae providence all the way to Morehead, and when getting home I truly love the serenity I get when arriving back in the country. I can let all the hustle and bustle go. The parks are beautiful, the restuarants are good and I know it was the right decision for our family. The schools are what drew us here and the scenery and people will keep us here. If we never have to move, I'd be ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or