U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:34 PM

286 posts, read 917,474 times

Advertisements

I am visiting family this summer, should be fun but I will basically be going solo and exploring the city. Anyone have recommendations on bars/coffeehouses and the like that are student/20something hangouts?

As of now I am intent on exploring Uptown, Plaza-Midwood, South End, SouthPark, NoDa, and UNC. Any cool neighborhoods I'm missing? No suburbs please!

In addition, please give me neighborhoods/routes to avoid due to sketchiness and crime. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Derp derp.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,252,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Derp derp.
LOL, sorry, did we overlook your post?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I am visiting family this summer, should be fun but I will basically be going solo and exploring the city. Anyone have recommendations on bars/coffeehouses and the like that are student/20something hangouts?

As of now I am intent on exploring Uptown, Plaza-Midwood, South End, SouthPark, NoDa, and UNC. Any cool neighborhoods I'm missing? No suburbs please!

In addition, please give me neighborhoods/routes to avoid due to sketchiness and crime. Thanks!

Okay, first of all, what part of town will you be staying in with family when you are here? (that will help us recommend places close to where you are).

In addition, plan to make your way to the Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood and NoDa neighborhoods. These are areas with lots of young folks hanging at different places.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,919,820 times
How long will you be here? The places you've mentioned could take quite a while to fully explore. Looks like you've got a good list.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:49 AM

FrontPage |

Plaza Midwood Neighborhood, Charlotte NC | Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Association

NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District

Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Near Northlake Mall. My main concerns are:

1. Poking around in fun neighborhoods, I think I covered them all but I'm a noob so maybe not. I added Ballantyne Village and IKEA to my list.

2. Finding places that are good for hanging out/mingloing solo in since everyone I'll be coming/staying with will be 50+

3. Most important, staying away from crime and/or creepy areas

Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM

441 posts, read 1,066,510 times
There are a lot of concerts in town, indoors and outdoors, in the summer. Keep an eye on the Friday entertainment section and you may find one you and any friends you may meet might want to attend.

I don't consider Charlotte at all a college town. But, you have listed the places someone your age would likely want to go. This is, however, a big 'church' town. If you have a bend that way, folks could list some churches that have large, actice 'young adult ministries'.

Finally, visit the White Water Center...there are A LOT of people your age who hang out there. They raft, kayak and drink and listed to bands on the weekends!!

Taben

Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Yeah I'm not really religious. I don't mind others who quietly are but it's not my scene. So, driving from Northlake to NorthDavidson or Plaza-Midwood, will I encounter any shady areas?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm not really religious. I don't mind others who quietly are but it's not my scene. So, driving from Northlake to NorthDavidson or Plaza-Midwood, will I encounter any shady areas?
You don't have to The route is a little convaluted due to one way streets uptown, but not dangerous or hard.

Just take I77 south,

exit onto I277 at exit 11B,

take exit 2A off of I277 (4th Street)
at the bottom of the ramp you have to turn left (it's a 1 way street) but be in the right lane since right after you turn left you will be taking a right one block later onto McDowell St.

Go 4 blocks down McDowell and take a right onto 7th Street

Drive a few blocks, passing over the I277 overpass, and take a left onto Central Ave. That is the beginning of Plaza Midwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or