U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 AM

37 posts, read 74,254 times

Advertisements

I live in Timberlake off Sardis Road North. It's attached to the Sardis Forest Subdivision.

My car was broken into last night and I was just wondering if anyone else near me had the same problem.

thanks

Last edited by lwh1961; 05-02-2011 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM

359 posts, read 504,633 times
Property crime is an epidemic in the city right now. It's everywhere

Police honestly can't do much.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 AM

700 posts, read 1,436,942 times
All you can do is keep your car empty of GPS, Cellphones, anything that looks like it worth anything. I have gotten where I leave my door unlocked and center storage are open. So they can see that I nothing and I do not have to wake up to an alarm in the middle of the night or broken windows. Much easier this way. If they steal my car. No big deal. If they want it there is not nuch you can do on that one. But leaving things in your car. You can control.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,351,212 times
I live in High Timbers. I haven't heard anything about break-ins recently. Although there was a...not break-in, because the vehicle owner left their cars (two, in their driveway) unlocked, and it cost them two laptops.

Are you on the CMPD email list?

I posted this on another thread:

Cars don't get broken into when there is nothing visible worth stealing. When people leave laptops, GPS, satellite radios, CDs, tools, and even money in plain sight they are inviting thieves. If a thief looks in your car and doesn't see something he can grab very quickly, he'll move on to the next car. Contrary to what some have said, he's not going to take the time to get a factory radio out of your dash, or search your car hoping to find something, in a well lit apartment complex parking lot. Also, an alarm can't stop anything from happening to your car, but it is a deterrent. If a thief looks in your car and sees a blinking light, but the car next to yours doesn't have one, it makes an easier target.

The bottom line is that there are many easy targets for a thief. Don't be one of them, and the chances of your car getting broken into drop to near zero.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 AM

They broke into my Jeep which was unlocked in my driveway. Last week I had my other SUV parked on the street in front of my house and when I went to move it noticed the back window had been smashed. I didn't think anything about it at the time (thought maybe it had been that way and just didn't notice it) as I hadn't driven it for a while. But now I'm thinking the two are related.

Apparently my dog didn't even hear them or he would have barked and it would have woken me up.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,315,923 times
I have to to jum pin here. Someone broke into my car last week (Monday) at a parking lot on N. Tryon - across the street from Day's Inn. They took 2 pairs of shoes (new - not cheap) I had in he trunk, a pair of sneakers, and an overnight bag that had my clothes. I assume this was a homeless a person or one of those shady characters arounf that homeless shelter. When I mentioned the homeless problem in uptown on THIS FORUM I was attacked.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,551,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
Property crime is an epidemic in the city right now. It's everywhere

Police honestly can't do much.
Any theories as to why this has become such an epidemic? Would love to hear your thoughts

Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,351,212 times
From a local email stream:

So far we know of at least 3 cars that were broken into in our neighborhood last night. The most common things stolen from cars are wallets, money, credit cards, and GPS systems.
One last night was on 8700 block Rittenhouse, one on Munday Ct and one on Bellows Ln. Most were GPSs and one credit card and all cases doors appeared be left unsecured. However, they will force doors open if they see something they want so don't take the chance!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
From a local email stream:

So far we know of at least 3 cars that were broken into in our neighborhood last night. The most common things stolen from cars are wallets, money, credit cards, and GPS systems.
One last night was on 8700 block Rittenhouse, one on Munday Ct and one on Bellows Ln. Most were GPSs and one credit card and all cases doors appeared be left unsecured. However, they will force doors open if they see something they want so don't take the chance!

I live on White Horse Dr. So I guess that makes me #4. grrr

Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM

359 posts, read 504,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Any theories as to why this has become such an epidemic? Would love to hear your thoughts
#1 - Opportunity
#2 - Increase of population who are criminals
#3 - Unwillingness of DA to prosecute criminals
#4 - It's tough to catch. You have to be in the right spot at the right time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or