Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM

221 posts, read 746,558 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Has anyone had the ability to have the water company put in a separate water meter for unfilter water (which is used for irrigation & pool purposes) in order to save $ and the grief of putting in a well???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,706 times
I've been asking around about water meters for putting in irrigation and the possible cost savings.

The Lancaster, SC water department told me they charge $2,000 to install a secondary water meter.

I don't know the cost of putting in a well but this price for an additional water meter is expensive.

I understand its also expensive in Charlotte and there's a 3-4 month wait for an installation.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I've been asking around about water meters for putting in irrigation and the possible cost savings.

The Lancaster, SC water department told me they charge $2,000 to install a secondary water meter.

I don't know the cost of putting in a well but this price for an additional water meter is expensive.

I understand its also expensive in Charlotte and there's a 3-4 month wait for an installation.
In Marvin, NC the cost of a well can range from $4,500 - $7000 and depends how deep they have to drill. So $2k is cheap. Although you will still be paying for unfiltered water (don't know what the rates are) as opposed to with a well you pay nothing for that water.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:20 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,706 times
Very interesting numbers. Thank you for sharing.

I wonder how that stacks up against Union's expensive water rates.

How long would it take to "earn" back that money after putting in a well?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Very interesting numbers. Thank you for sharing.

I wonder how that stacks up against Union's expensive water rates.

How long would it take to "earn" back that money after putting in a well?
This is a reply located in another forum "water wells":
We bought our house in Lawson subdivision / Waxhaw on June 1st. It sat empty for 1 full month. The water bill for that month (watering 2 days a week) 3 zones and a drip line was $145.00 There was no other usage but irrigation. I called a couple of "Good ole Boys" (local drillers) and they quoted me around $4,000 - $5,000 depending on the depth they need to get a pocket of H2O. You will hit a sustainable water supply at a certin depth. The wild card here is that it will cost you by the foot. The deeper you go....$ $ $ $ . But consider this, multiply your monthly irrigation costs X 12 months. In my case the time to break even for the well would be approx. 34 months. $145.00 per month X 34 months = $4930.00 I would rather put out the money and reduce my irrigation costs over the long term. I guess it depends on your thought process and also if you have the $5,000 to put out now. I have the cash so I will put in a well. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,686 times
We have 2 different conversations going on here folks. The water company will come and install a seperate meter on your home which will only read your irrigation usage. The cost is approx $1000.00. It will save you some money considering the sewage tax savings, but it will take many years to recoup that $1000.00.

The well conversation has been informational. I believe one can be built btw $3500 and $5000 in Charlotte depending on how deep they have to dig. This will save you tremendous money in the long term if you have alot of landscaping to maintain. I still am somewhat unclear about the use of well water for bathing and drinking????

Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
We have 2 different conversations going on here folks. The water company will come and install a seperate meter on your home which will only read your irrigation usage. The cost is approx $1000.00. It will save you some money considering the sewage tax savings, but it will take many years to recoup that $1000.00.

The well conversation has been informational. I believe one can be built btw $3500 and $5000 in Charlotte depending on how deep they have to dig. This will save you tremendous money in the long term if you have alot of landscaping to maintain. I still am somewhat unclear about the use of well water for bathing and drinking????
Why do you say that it would take many years to recoup the $1k? Are the unfiltered rates high too? I figured (based upon estimate as I actually don't live in Marvin yet) that it would take 2-3 years to recoupe the cost of a well. Does this sound correct?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,686 times
Recovering the cost of a well wouldnt take long at all. Depending on your usage, you might do it in the first year.

Recovering the cost of a second meter would take a long time. Your not really saving alot on the sewer fees and taxes

Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Recovering the cost of a well wouldnt take long at all. Depending on your usage, you might do it in the first year.

Recovering the cost of a second meter would take a long time. Your not really saving alot on the sewer fees and taxes
Got it. Thanks. I think you have helped make my decision and that being pay the high upfront cost knowing I will recoup it.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM

153 posts, read 477,965 times
FYI: One of the many ways Lincoln County is trying to curb growth is by upping the charge for these sep. meters. It is now $4,000. Another reason to buy resales here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: