U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,781,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtosnorkle View Post
I lived there 30 years, and it did not seem to have any soul. Plus I love being outside, and yes, the mountains are fairly close, and the beach a weekend trip, but nothing real close other than parks which I tired of quickly. People spend their time shopping, eating out, going to fancy health clubs or the Y, and working on their pretentious homes. Important to have a job, friends, and/or hobbies you enjoy. For awhile we enjoyed boating on Lake Norman, but now with the larger population in the area, it is very crowded on weekends during the hot months. Summer months are horribly hot, stagnant and humid. Winter can be dreary, and colder than you might expect in the south. We saw -15 a few times, but then it can turn around and be 60 the next day. Fall and spring can be very nice. Now we live 10 minutes from the ocean, and are happy. Sarasota is not as big as Charlotte, but culturally seems much richer.
So, Charlotte isn't in the mountains, nor on the coast. Thanks for clearing that up! I'm sure many people will be enlightened by that information.

The all-time low temperature for Charlotte is -5, so seeing -15 several times is quite impressive. And how terrible that warm weather quickly returns!

If you thought Charlotte's summers were hot, I wonder what Sarasota will feel like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:50 PM

343 posts, read 574,048 times
Default Charlotte tore it down.

There are two spots in Charlotte that have a touch of soul, Midwood Plaza and NoDa.
Did everyone here a developer is going to go into Midwood Plaza and re-develope it? It had already started anyway. Those mega new apartment buildings? Charlotte will never learn. Our city slogan should be "It Had A Lot, We Tore It Down".

It's like the JFG Sign, it was an old rustic looking sign 60 something ft. up that gave a little oldness when you could see it with the buildings in the background. Now it's 10' in the air stuck on top of a small structure. Charlotte has no clue about designing a city. They've missed the boat many, many times.

Did anyone go to New Years Eve Uptown, not sure if they even do it anymore, that was the most ghetto event I had ever been to.

Take a look at the cities close by: Asheville and Greenville, they both are full of old soul and have so much more character than Charlotte and are less than half the size of Charlotte. Charlotte knows one thing, BIG BOX and they let them build the city. Tear it down and build a wal-mart shopping center, that's it, that is how Charlotte builds a city.: smack:

Old 05-17-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
People are not bored with Charlotte, but rather, bored with the bland mind numbing dull planned subdivisions that ring the outerloop (I-485) where they only thing they see are culdesacs of cookie cutter homes and chain store retail & restaurants. They move to these places so they can have a house that is 3x the size of what they need, and then find they are nothing like the real communities they immigrated from. Most of them are ghastly depressing during business/school days as they completely empty out since the only purpose of these places is a place to sleep, surf the internet and watch TV.

This is what people are bored with in Charlotte. My recommendation is that you avoid it and move into Charlotte, away from where the herds are headed.
I couldn't agree more, I want to live closer in, I hate the subs with the big boxes. I go uptown and around the city all the time. I still think other cities have so much more soul than Charlotte. I have been in cities all around the world. I would move to another city before moving closer in or in the Uptown area here if I was going to pay more. It's missing something here. I don't get this missing vibe when I visit other cities, even other smaller cities. I do think Atlanta is missing the same vibe in the downtown part of Atlanta. Maybe it's a southern big city thing? The southerns just don't build entertaining big cities, maybe? And I'm a Southern.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:31 PM

My dream city would be NY but in the south where it's warm. It doesn't exist, so I will just have to complain about every city I live in until global warming makes NY a warm city year around.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:50 PM

Location: NOT in the Land of lollipops & unicorns...I live in reality.
1,019 posts, read 945,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtosnorkle View Post
I lived there 30 years, and it did not seem to have any soul. Plus I love being outside, and yes, the mountains are fairly close, and the beach a weekend trip, but nothing real close other than parks which I tired of quickly. People spend their time shopping, eating out, going to fancy health clubs or the Y, and working on their pretentious homes. Important to have a job, friends, and/or hobbies you enjoy. For awhile we enjoyed boating on Lake Norman, but now with the larger population in the area, it is very crowded on weekends during the hot months. Summer months are horribly hot, stagnant and humid. Winter can be dreary, and colder than you might expect in the south. We saw -15 a few times, but then it can turn around and be 60 the next day. Fall and spring can be very nice. Now we live 10 minutes from the ocean, and are happy. Sarasota is not as big as Charlotte, but culturally seems much richer.
I'm happy for you! I, too have lived here for almost 29 yrs. I came to Charlotte from Miami. It was a very hard move and in 1986 they rolled up the streets at 11pm, NO sports teams IN the City. The tallest of 4 'tall' buildings Uptown was the Radisson. I tried to locate it from the onramp to 277 the other day and it wasn't possible. Too many BIGGER new buildings are in the same area now.
I still like the change of seasons and the MUCH LESS humidity compared to SOFL. Other than that, I'm thinking the Tampa~St.Pete~Sarasota area for retirement. You will be very happy in Sarasota vicinity! There is so much MORE to do there and waaay more concerts go there than here. It'll be HUMID, but the beach lifestyle makes it bearable. Only thing I hate about it is cockroaches...the BIG polo pony sized ones that fly down there. I have only seen one or two in NC in the 29 yrs...and UPS or FedEx brought them at Christmas time with boxes.
GOOD LUCK...save me a spot!

Old 05-18-2015, 06:48 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,738,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
People are not bored with Charlotte, but rather, bored with the bland mind numbing dull planned subdivisions that ring the outerloop (I-485) where they only thing they see are culdesacs of cookie cutter homes and chain store retail & restaurants. They move to these places so they can have a house that is 3x the size of what they need, and then find they are nothing like the real communities they immigrated from. Most of them are ghastly depressing during business/school days as they completely empty out since the only purpose of these places is a place to sleep, surf the internet and watch TV.

This is what people are bored with in Charlotte. My recommendation is that you avoid it and move into Charlotte, away from where the herds are headed.
yes

Old 05-18-2015, 01:20 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,346,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
There are two spots in Charlotte that have a touch of soul, Midwood Plaza and NoDa.
Did everyone here a developer is going to go into Midwood Plaza and re-develope it? It had already started anyway. Those mega new apartment buildings? Charlotte will never learn. Our city slogan should be "It Had A Lot, We Tore It Down".

It's like the JFG Sign, it was an old rustic looking sign 60 something ft. up that gave a little oldness when you could see it with the buildings in the background. Now it's 10' in the air stuck on top of a small structure. Charlotte has no clue about designing a city. They've missed the boat many, many times.

Did anyone go to New Years Eve Uptown, not sure if they even do it anymore, that was the most ghetto event I had ever been to.

Take a look at the cities close by: Asheville and Greenville, they both are full of old soul and have so much more character than Charlotte and are less than half the size of Charlotte. Charlotte knows one thing, BIG BOX and they let them build the city. Tear it down and build a wal-mart shopping center, that's it, that is how Charlotte builds a city.: smack:
New Years Eve was the most ghetto even you have ever been too? LOL..

I think you just have a love affair with the term ghetto.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:09 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,134,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

I get a kick out of these threads. I don't know about a city having soul but I'd rather live in a place where there a things for soul brothers to do. I'm biased and partial to Atlanta and Charlotte versus smaller southern cities (although Atlanta is a major city and on a different level). Bring on the big box and the big booty.....that's all the character these old eyes need.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

Your probably right.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM

5,116 posts, read 1,808,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
If you are bored in Charlotte, try Rachel, NV.
there are probably plently of rattlesnakes?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or